User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Spare wheels for ('06) 1200GS?

If money were no object, would it make sense to have a set of spoked wheels with a set of "off road" tires mounted on them AND a set of alloy wheels with pure road tires mounted on them for a late model R1200GS?

If so (and because money IS an object), what would it cost to buy a decent used set of alloy wheels (I'd think BMW OEM wheels, but???) that would fit an '06 1200GS?

Do we ever see such wheels offered for sale?
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Of course it makes sense, and for a couple of reasons.

Economy is the most obvious; You get 3,000 miles out of a TKC 80 rear tire, and 3 times that from an Anakee or Tourance.
A cast wheel, front or rear, will cost about $300 on ebay, maybe less. That's without rotors or ABS ring. (the "maybe less" part is that I've seen sets with tires and rotors for $6-700 a couple of times)

The other reason, important to some, is that the bike is a lot more fun on the pavement with street oriented tires. If you like riding hard, you're not even going to get 3,000 miles from a rear TKC, OR ride as fast in the twisties!

BTW, front ones can be hard to find, cuz they're the one to take the hit in a wreck, and seem more likely to be damaged by potholes.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
I just did the build for a set of 21" off-road wheels/tires and higher Ralle-moto triple clamp for clearance...

Total build with all necessary parts - was almost $4000. (with Ralle-moto clamp)

Which cheaper than the OEM comparable kit at about $5500 or $6700 for the Wunderlich deal...

shit that is a lot of money for all of them...

I actually think the Woodys wheels hubs and rims are better quality that the rest and cheaper.

But - as said - you can find the hubs and buy Excel rims and lace them up... Rims and spokes if you lace can be had for about $300 each.

I think you could do it for about $2500 with tires and used hubs and new rims with you doing the work... still pricey.

Here is my ongoing build - should be done this weekend.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868571

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
If money were no object, would it make sense to have a set of spoked wheels with a set of "off road" tires mounted on them AND a set of alloy wheels with pure road tires mounted on them for a late model R1200GS?

If so (and because money IS an object), what would it cost to buy a decent used set of alloy wheels (I'd think BMW OEM wheels, but???) that would fit an '06 1200GS?

Do we ever see such wheels offered for sale?
Yes, I think it makes sense. I have a set of alloy wheels with Anakee2's on them for stree use and TKC80's on my wire wheels for dirt. To me, this seems like a far better solution than trying to find a compromise tire that's not really good at either pavement or dirt.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Yes, I think it makes sense. I have a set of alloy wheels with Anakee2's on them for stree use and TKC80's on my wire wheels for dirt. To me, this seems like a far better solution than trying to find a compromise tire that's not really good at either pavement or dirt.
Could I go so far as to say that two sets of wheels with very different tires might eliminate the "need" for a second bike? That is, with a set of alloys and pure road tires for the GS, do I really "need" my RT? Clearly, the GS with road tires is not a pure substitute for the RT, but is it close enough that I can't really justify owning, maintaining, insuring and storing the second bike?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Could I go so far as to say that two sets of wheels with very different tires might eliminate the "need" for a second bike? That is, with a set of alloys and pure road tires for the GS, do I really "need" my RT? Clearly, the GS with road tires is not a pure substitute for the RT, but is it close enough that I can't really justify owning, maintaining, insuring and storing the second bike?
You know that is a good point.

With the 21 inch front dirt set up and an even smaller say 17 front or for that matter both 17s for the street set up would make for a pretty slick road bike.

To each his own but the GS is more than capable in both config's and really if you went a bit further in both directions could actually have two bikes for the sake of a quick swap out of wheel sets.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
While the RT is marketed as a sport touring bike, it isn't as sporty as a stock GS on street tires.
The RT does have better wind protection and factory luggage, but my GS is my sportbike and touring bike and off road bike, with a few quick changes.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Gato,

Which did you buy second and how did you acquire them? Do you use a lift when changing wheels? What's the average changeout time from one set to another?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

I can switch mine in about half an hour. I have rotors on both sets. The rear cast wheel uses shorter lug bolts than the spoked ones, so you need to keep them in a ziplock with the wheel.
While disassembling, it helps to tweak the caliper back and forth to make it easier to go back on.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Gato,

Which did you buy second and how did you acquire them? Do you use a lift when changing wheels? What's the average changeout time from one set to another?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
I bought the alloy wheels second (the wire wheels came with my GSA). I bought them from an inmate here in the flea market. They came with rotors and ABS ring and a nearly-new set of Anakee2's, but it was the older-style ABS ring so I needed to switch that out and add TPMS sensors to the wheels. Now I have two complete sets that I can swap out in 20-30 minutes, tops. You don't necessarily need a lift but I put a car jack under the skid plate to stabilize the bike. If you do one wheel at a time, you could get away with using just the center stand.