Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
A long time ago in a land far away, I read that the new green gasket should have a channel cut at the bottom to provide a path for errant DOT4 to drip to the pavement thereby preventing your clutch from straying to the dark side.

Obi Wan and others may have more details.
That was before someone came up with the idea of routing the EVAP purg vacuum so it can auto-suck the cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinaustin View Post
oh i got a new "gasket" already. i will try to start putting the new one on tonight. i can already tell the process will be just as painful. i wish there was more slack on the line coming from the master cylinder. i guess i will do the bleed after its on, before i starting putting the bike back together. i am so done with this repair. ugh. its taking me so long but at least im learning along the way!
Clutch slave r-r is pita until you get the technique down then it's a breeze. Good skill to have learned.

Find it easier to release hose from the clutch master. Hose must be cleaned anyway. Looks a pain to route it but it is actually easy. Most will have rust on the banjo... I went with 2" over from Spiegler (fittings won't corrode).

- +++Try tipping the slave up when r-r it from cavity. Once I leaned this trick clearance became a non-issue. Practice before installing gasket.

- Might find that the banjo is not seated owing to interference from indexing bar on slave and or trans case. Be sure to hold it out while tightening and do not over-torque. First flush was w/cheap DOT 3 and that saved on expensive DOT 4 which was installed once the slave was back in operation.
---
"What he said sucks".
- Yep, he was telling you to apply vacuum. Sucks= vacuum. Not intended as criticism. Most do not have Mighty Vac. The suck method works but is not at all necessary.

- Try purging hydraulics before finally assembly, careful not to damage piston by over-extension. Tap on the slave while tilted to release air. Injection method is good alternative.

"No need to replace lower shock bolt"
- Maybe not but what a pita if the dam thing snaps as they are prone to do.

"No need to replace input shaft rear seal if you have the brown one"
"Requires seal seating tool"
- Our seals are grey. If any other color then we call the Bay Keeper to investigate. Most of the old 1150's will have the old style grey seal which should be replaced. Did not find that using a pick worked. Drilling and rigging up a slide hammer is the answer- came right out.
Steptoe: "Drive the sucker all the way up to the bearing"
- Easy to do with just a socket.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

Oddometer: 198
Well shoot. Got the slave on and was just about to start the bleed when noticed there was a nice puddle of fluid under the bike. There is a rather large leak and of course I have no way of knowing where it came from until I take it all apart again. Even then... So I am thinking that the banjo bolt that leads to the bleeder hose may not be tight. I can't tighten it while the slave is on so I need to take it all apart and tighten it up and test again. My only real concern is did the almost certain introduction of air into the line screw me in a big way or is it just something that will need to come out as I bleed it??

Now to collect my nerves and have a swig of scotch and start taking it apart again... Ugh.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #48
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

And this may sound silly but where does the washer go? Top or bottom of the banjo bolt??? Jeez I'm a noob
Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

This shows one washer on top and one bottom. This was not the case when I removed the slave.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #50
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
And this may sound silly but where does the washer go? Top or bottom of the banjo bolt??? Jeez I'm a noob
Top and bottom for each banjo bolt.
If you are reusing, you should anneal them (soften) with a blowtorch. Heat until the copper goes brown. They will seal much better once annealed.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #51
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Top and bottom for each banjo bolt.
If you are reusing, you should anneal them (soften) with a blowtorch. Heat until the copper goes brown. They will seal much better once annealed.
Old school. I bet you have had your way before with a Norton head gasket, haven't you.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #52
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Old school. I bet you have had your way before with a Norton head gasket, haven't you.
I'll never tell
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #53
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
"big puddle under bike after assembly"

First one I did that happened to me. My tip above: The banjo is hung up on the slave indexing bar. More torque isn't the answer. Hold the right angle banjo out as you gently torque it down.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #54
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,722
Good gasket:

I put a bleeder end on my clutch a while ago, it lives just forward of the rear brake res, and under the seat. it can be seen just above the cap.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #55
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
Quote:

This shows one washer on top and one bottom. This was not the case when I removed the slave.
Be careful with this picture from microfiche..post #49...it shows lines in a different position than how they came off! There are little nubs to stop banjo spinning as you tighten them. There are washers on each side of both banjo or it leaks. You tighten the banjo before you install the slave. You can put the bleed line on at the bench. Then hold slave up and twist it and tighten lever line from left side of bike through frame triangle behind fuse box, it's obvious when you look. I use a T handle allen for this. it's finicky. Even more finnicky is geting the Mickey Mouse in place, be sure you put it on correctly before you offer slave up, Mickey only goes on one way, and it likes to drop off just as you get slave about right.
Slave is $99 at Beemer Bone Yard and comes with Mickey. I got a stainless lever line from them intended for a 1150R, but of course it's the same. $50. I route line 'through' fork leg and not around it, gives you more line. Nice too if you fit risers to your handlebars. It's crappy trying to push new line through the back.
You can also just undo banjo bolt on lever to give you more line to help install, there are washers on either side here too. Every banjo is like that, brakes too. They are crushable washers, or banjo leaks. Same on oil lines.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #56
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
And Triumphs, as well.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #57
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm....looks like someone has stolen your evap canister. Shame.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #58
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,722
I relocated it for the Jesse's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm....looks like someone has stolen your evap canister. Shame.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #59
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Be careful with this picture from microfiche..post #49...it shows lines in a different position than how they came off! There are little nubs to stop banjo spinning as you tighten them. There are washers on each side of both banjo or it leaks. You tighten the banjo before you install the slave. You can put the bleed line on at the bench. Then hold slave up and twist it and tighten lever line from left side of bike through frame triangle behind fuse box, it's obvious when you look. I use a T handle allen for this. it's finicky. Even more finnicky is geting the Mickey Mouse in place, be sure you put it on correctly before you offer slave up, Mickey only goes on one way, and it likes to drop off just as you get slave about right.
Slave is $99 at Beemer Bone Yard and comes with Mickey. I got a stainless lever line from them intended for a 1150R, but of course it's the same. $50. I route line 'through' fork leg and not around it, gives you more line. Nice too if you fit risers to your handlebars. It's crappy trying to push new line through the back.
You can also just undo banjo bolt on lever to give you more line to help install, there are washers on either side here too. Every banjo is like that, brakes too. They are crushable washers, or banjo leaks. Same on oil lines.
everything you say makes total sense. i will HOPEFully be getting the washers on correctly this week and start the long journey to getting everythingbolted back on soon!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #60
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

Ok so I guess I got it done. The reason why I don't sound convinced is it took several attempts of putting the slave on and finding loose banjo bolts etc. after several starts and stops I got the slave on and bled the clutch but in not sure I bled it properly. I guess my question is how do I know it's been bled properly??

bobinaustin screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 01:19 PM
bobinaustin is offline   Reply With Quote