Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
How do you decide if you have had too many? Do you make that decision after you are drunk?

"a drink" implies "one" drink. Not multiple drinks. Notice the lack of an "s" after "drink".

One is too many in that case. Why would you even want to drink and ride?
One is too many in what case? After too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Or what about the statement made by one UK academic who was trying to get bikes banned, arguing (quite reasonably, I might add) that riding a motorbike stone cold sober, even in ideal conditions, is statistically more dangerous than driving a car over our drink-drive limit. The latter is illegal, therefore the former should be too, right?

Quite reasonably?

With that twisted logic you could also argue that the people drunk drivers run into are the problem. If they hadn't been out there driving they wouldn't have been involved in the accident.

They should ban ALL vehicles from the roadways. It's much more dangerous than walking.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Good post Dakez. I sadly know the extent of the effects of someone driving drunk. During my freshman parent's weekend at college there was an accident in the middle of an intersection when my parents were taking my brother and I back to campus. We decided to stop because my mom was a nurse. Many other people stopped as well, including off duty fire fighters and a paramedic, before the emergency vehicles arrived. My parents and 3 others were in the road assisting a person from the accident that appeared to have a spinal injury that they didn't want to risk moving. Even wtih all the emergency lights and flood lights from the off-duty firefighters and people turning traffic around, a drunk driver in a van plowed through everyone in the road. All six people in the road died, including both my parents, right in front of my eyes.

Needless to say, drunk driving is not taken lightly by me.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
How do you decide if you have had too many? Do you make that decision after you are drunk?
Since my IQ is higher than room temperature (SI units) it's a matter of seconds - even if drunk - for me to calculate my blood alcohol.
It's legal here to drive with under 0.3%o and under 0.5%o if you don't show signs of unsafe driving.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Ride Aware... And Please don't let people Drink and Drive
Quote:
Wraith Rider
And it's not a problem to have a drink and drive, just don't drive drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I agree.

This will of course lead to a debate about even having one and then riding.
A debate that you started. The topic of your first post is quoted above.

Then you say you agree that one drink is ok, just don't drive drunk. Which is it?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Good post Dakez. I sadly know the extent of the effects of someone driving drunk. During my freshman parent's weekend at college there was an accident in the middle of an intersection when my parents were taking my brother and I back to campus. We decided to stop because my mom was a nurse. Many other people stopped as well, including off duty fire fighters and a paramedic, before the emergency vehicles arrived. My parents and 3 others were in the road assisting a person from the accident that appeared to have a spinal injury that they didn't want to risk moving. Even wtih all the emergency lights and flood lights from the off-duty firefighters and people turning traffic around, a drunk driver in a van plowed through everyone in the road. All six people in the road died, including both my parents, right in front of my eyes.

Needless to say, drunk driving is not taken lightly by me.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #21
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Since my IQ is higher than room temperature (SI units) it's a matter of seconds - even if drunk - for me to calculate my blood alcohol.
It's legal here to drive with under 0.3%o and under 0.5%o if you don't show signs of unsafe driving.
When I said "you" I meant people in general. I realize there are exceptional people such as yourself that are able to do the math under any conditions.
For the vast majority it would just be safer to just not drive or ride after drinking.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #22
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
I wish they would show this video and the others in the USA. Sadly, politics as they are would prevent it. If you really wanted to make an impression you could switch songs to DOA by Bloodrock as the carnage starts.

Actually lost a friend to the open door, step out into traffic thing.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 712
My Father got into a drunken bar fight and stabbed a guy when I was 21. My younger sister was hit by a drunk and burned over half her body and a broken neck. She has survived for 30 years with her injuries but is in very bad shape. We have been expecting her to die at any time for the last 2 years. Needless to say I have no use for drunks in general but especially drunk drivers. But I agree with Dakez that 1 drink is not necessarily a bad thing. For me it would be because I drink 1 about once a year.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

Then you say you agree that one drink is ok, just don't drive drunk. Which is it?

It would be one heck of a drink to have only one and be drunk.

Good point though as it is true that all drinks are not created equal.

As an example: Where some hopped up Micro-brews will have some grown men intoxicated and visibly impaired before he finishes his second, a Coors light is so low in alcohol content it resembles a "free-beer" like O'doul's

My point is: Drink responsibly and stand up and stand in the way of anyone that you see trying to get behind the wheel of a car or on a bike if you know or suspect that they are impaired.

But I suspect that you knew that.

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!!!

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 02:35 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
mb289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thanks for posting that reminder Dakez. Having worked too many of these wrecks in a former life, it's just not worth it.
mb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #26
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

What is the statute of limitations on a single drink? 12 hours? six? three?

One drink does not impair judgement for the rest of the calendar day and magically disappear at midnight or daybreak. Alcohol is metabolized, and yes some people metabolize it slowly. A single drink at 3pm is effectively out of one's system at 6pm.

I refuse to believe that touching one drop of alcohol makes one unable to operate a vehicle for 24 hours.

Maybe a breathalyzer to retrieve one's keys in establishments where alcohol is sold would do the trick, but bar and restaurant owners would go out of business.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Any amount of alcohol slows reaction time and impairs judgement. We need to be the best riders we can be to avoid the drunk driver, or the blue haired granny, or the texting teen.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:

You must mean 0.05% and 0.03%. At 0.5% most people would be dead or in a coma. Here in the US the legal limit is 0.08%. It used to be 0.10% but they found that dropping it to 0.08 yielded a much larger income to the state.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #29
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
@Gonzoso
In lack of the right symbol I used "%o" for "per mill".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Any amount of alcohol slows reaction time and impairs judgement.
As do a thousand other things. Listening to music or audiobooks, looking at the satnav, talking to your passenger, looking at the landscape, being tired, being emotionally stressed and so on and so on.
So there's no reason to be especially afraid of alcohol in small amounts.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #30
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
@Gonzoso
In lack of the right symbol I used "%o" for "per mill".

As do a thousand other things. Listening to music or audiobooks, looking at the satnav, talking to your passenger, looking at the landscape, being tired, being emotionally stressed and so on and so on.
So there's no reason to be especially afraid of alcohol in small amounts.
Being tired likely causes more vehicular accidents than anything else.