User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Jimm Dandy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
remodeling a dnepr tub

from the little bit i have learned it seems the ural tub is more desirable because the trunk opens from the rear.. has anyone cut a trunk lid into their dnepr tub?? asking because i have located a tub and would like easier access.. thanks
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
iantochips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
What he says! My Dnepr sidecar arrived last week- would like to do the same. Got some ideas but if someone's done it already......
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Jimm Dandy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantochips View Post
What he says! My Dnepr sidecar arrived last week- would like to do the same. Got some ideas but if someone's done it already......
i just got a response over at sovietsteeds.com sayin its pretty easy to access a dnepr trunk from the seat area and also IT WONT LEAK.. come to think of it keepin it from leaking would be the hard part.. i guess i am gonna leave it alone and if i decide to later just get a ural hack.. unless i win the lottery, then it'll be a DMC or 1 of Claudes hacks
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
If a guy modified the chair in the right way there shouldn't be a leakage problem. Doing it so there's a lip overhanging on any access door would be a start. Also in this day and age there's some really high tech and high quality closed cell insulations and weatherstrip available. Some of the specialty companies offer an amazing assortment of rubber and synthetic weatherseal material too. Doesn't seem that it would be an insurmountable problem or even very difficult to seal it up.
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Skidpan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I've got an MT11 with a boot-lidded (by previous owner) tub. I'll take a couple of pix later. It's nothing scientific....
Skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Skidpan
Adventurer

It's a simple enough job - couple of hinges, some plate extensions welded around the edges of the flap to create an overlap, another piece welded to the tub to act as a fixing point for a long bolt to screw into a welded-on nut. Hopefully some pix will appear here too, or a link to them on a blog called Boris the Dnepr blogspot

or http://boristhednepr.blogspot.co.uk/

Skidpan screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 06:49 AM Reason: fix links
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
Skidpan
Adventurer

Righty-oh, then, those quick click link things are u/s, so search for Boris the dnepr blogspot and the pix are there. I'll try and fix the links (above) in the meantime.

How you go about doing this conversion is going to depend on how over-the-top you want to be, really. You can keep it simple, like mine, or you can spend endless time and money deliberating over exactly which products will seal it best, give the best hinge action, look prettiest, impress others with your engineering prowess, or whatever. If I'd done this conversion, it wouldn't have had any welding in it at all, just nuts and bolts would do the job.

Link (above) fixed

Skidpan screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 03:04 AM Reason: fix link
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Jimm Dandy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey

thanks Mr. Pan.. you have definetly given me some ideas.. bottom line question lingering in my mind is if its worth the hassle or not.. i am sitting here watching it snow, fanticising about the sidecar i have yet to see.. i am going to las vegas in 2 weeks for 3 vintage mc. auctions.. i puchased the hack from a guy in arizona and he is delivering it to me in vegas.. since this is all new to me i am wondering if i should redo the trunk access or not.. my primary riding will be gravel roads with camping gear. dont know how important rear access to trunk will be.. but definetly wanna do it b4 i paint hack to match bike.. maybe i will try it and see b4 painting.... hmmmmmmmm
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Skidpan
Adventurer

I have both openings, and almost always use the boot rather than open the seat back, so whilst moving the seat back is easier, the access to items in the boot is easier from above. Choice is yours tho' pal, it's your bike, do what you want to it and enjoy the journey.
Best of luck whatever path you take.