User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #151
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 467
Dam it! Ouch ! That sucks!

Sorry to see that Roy I guess it was good you did not go to far!

I found this for you: You could swap parts, not sure about the gearing ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V...3809a0&vxp=mtr
And this rebuild link I had:
http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.u...p?p=finaldrive

Scroll down to #30 You could do it, A new pinion and gear cost 450$ that's just the parts..Or you could send it off to Cycle garden http://cyclegarden.com/ or http://www.zydecoracing.com/about.html
Let me know what you decide?

On a better note ,Every body at the Tooele GP liked the bike..
Best Moto Guzzi And best Japanese restored for my wife's bike

Eric

Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #152
flemsmith OP
lurk

Oddometer: 570
Wow! Congratulations!!

Two bests in respective categories!! That's a home run!

I'll look my way thru that reference, thanks. Seems a bit daunting, but who knows, I may give it a try.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #153
flemsmith OP
lurk

Eric, Thanks for the reference;

I bought it! Will do some studying up on what it's gonna take to get it all together happily, although I have a road trip planned for about when it will probably get here, so I'll be back to delay mode, as usual. Wildguzzi tells me the ratios are the same, hope everything else is an easy swap too.

I really oughta be trying to build two bikes at once, that way I can always have something to work on while waiting for parts for the other bike....yeah, right!! Just what I need, more parts scattered around the garage.

roy
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #154
waylongway
madmax

That's Great!!
I thought that was a good deal! I think 1/2 my bike is E-bay Should be able to slip that right in there, as my high school motorcycle repair teacher says " Its just parts"

I really oughta be trying to build two bikes at once, that way I can always have something to work on while waiting for parts for the other bike....yeah, right!! Just what I need, more parts scattered around the garage.

roy
Sounds like heaven
I have 4 bikes to work on, but I look for more every day
Eric
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #155
flemsmith OP
lurk

update.....

OK, got the El Dorado rear drive bevel gear donor just before I was set to leave for a road trip to Missouri to visit my son. Had a great trip, all except for some trouble with my 1200GS cruise control after a couple days heavy rain. Came back and took the El Do rear drive apart today. All the gears and carriers are a direct bolt-on. I can see now that the seal I installed was too deep, and locked up the big ball bearing, so that's why it started leaking right away worse than the old seal did.

I'll spend some time studying the shim set-up, and with luck I'll be back with a bit more of the debug status in my normal relaxed timing....speaking of timing... I don't think I ever had the timing just right, it didn't want to idle very well at all. There's some slop in the distributor, do I assume I want to set the timing with the slop taken up CCW or CW?

roy in Az
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #156
waylongway
madmax

Hey Roy,

Good deal on the trip and the rear drive!

CW would be the right way w/pistons at TDC , Like I said pull and ground the plugs (vise grip) and listen for the spark while looking at the marks on the distributor to lining up..but I suspect it is a carb problem more than a timing thing?

Do you have the air screw out 1 1/2 turn? .

Are the slides at the same height?

Dose it change if you pull the choke ,better ,worse?

Having troubles of my own . The charging is not working on my bike and sucking the battery dry... trying to figure it out?

Its always something !!

Off to Oregon today, my wife wants to sit on the new 700 gs
.Great #*&%#*$$?

Eric
Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #157
flemsmith OP
lurk

Learning about the rear drive...

It's always some little thing that gets me hung up, at which time I usually walk off, think, and ask ques of folks mechanically smarter than me....

I'm installing the Eldorado gear set in the T3 housing, looks like it will all fit ok, but everything I've read says I'll be shimming and reassembling for some time to get the mesh set properly....thought I'd start with the El Do pinion gear assy as is, which will need to wait awhile anyway as I've ordered a new carrier shim to replace the one that's hidden in my garage someplace...so meanwhile I thought I'd disassemble the broken T3 pinion assy to make use of the shims, and to get prepared to take the good one apart when I need to change out its shims..

So how do you hold the damn pinion gear so you can put some major CCW force on the big nut? I've tried using the spline coupler with a pipe wrench, that will quickly get me to replace the scored all to hell coupler, but I still couldn't hold it stationary. There must be a smart way to do this.....? appreciate any inputs. roy
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #158
waylongway
madmax

You are going to need a spline wrench.(not that I have done this)
But what I have seen is to use a donor coupler, I have one if you need it.

And make a wrench out of it that will hold the spline. Like against the vice while you try to get the nut off, A little heat would help.

Or you could make a wrench to go around your coupler and tack it good enough to hold but so you can cut ,grind it back off and reuse yours . Should be fine?

Eric
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #159
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
There must be a smart way to do this.....? appreciate any inputs. roy
I took an old trashed u-joint and disassembled it. I clamp one of the splined ends very securely in my bench vice. The pinion fits perfectly into it. Using a large box end wrench, I am able to loosen and tighten as needed.

I do not have a good way of imparting accurate torque...though I suppose that could be done by modifying the universal joint piece that I use to accept a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

In setting up the shimming, you'll be tightening and loosening this nut a bunch of times. You have to find a good way to do it.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #160
flemsmith OP
lurk

Back together....

OK, I sacrificed my coupler, had a handle welded onto it, ordered another, and proceeded to learn about shimming. Six disassemblies and two shim orders later, I think I have it as good as I can get it...spoken with my usual self confidence when I do something new and probably critical. Tried a few things as mesh indicators, finally bought some Prussian Blue from Amazon, that worked best by far.

So now the rear is back together with the new old El Dorado bevel gear set in the T3 housing. And it's back to setting timing (which seems kinda fiddly with the Dyna rotor set screws....and the carb's....the more I think about it, you're probably right, Eric; I must have something wrong in the carbs, it never has wanted to idle, although it rev's fine. The easiest fix would be if I had the slides inserted the wrong way. I need to double check that; thought I did once, but mebbe I screwed it up.

Meanwhile, I finally bought an airhead. I'm telling myself I can't start messing with it until I'm either finished and happy with the Guzzi, or waiting on parts for it. It's an 85 R80RT with 101K miles, so it's pretty experienced. It's a monoshock, dual front disks, electronic ignition, so I'm thinking it should be a pretty decent bike with some work.

Never have liked the RT fairing, (makes it feel like you're driving a bus as much as riding a bike...IMHO) so when I feel good about the Guzzi, the first thing I need to do is understand what all I have to buy in order to get rid of the big fairing and get more like a naked bike, and although that will be another story, I'd be happy to take some direction.....headlamp housing and ears, front turn signals, mirrors?

flemsmith screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 12:57 PM
Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #161
waylongway
madmax

I knew you could do it!

That's great Roy,
See now you are educated

That a nice find! on the Beemer, Not to old not to new. And ya the fairing has to go
Lots of ways to go with the head light http://www.spieglerusa.com/lights-in...eadlights.html and signals..?

Now that I got the Guzzi sorted, I went back to my GS and I'm in the middle of a make over.... .

I will shoot you a pic when I get it done. YA ,Right.. like any thing ever done

Eric
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #162
flemsmith OP
lurk

Timing the T3....

Using Dyna III. Set up Right cyl at intermediate line and now left cyl seems too far advanced. Going clockwise and counting teeth I'm confused....I get Arrow for Rt advance, then +3 teeth and line which I used to set the right cyl static timing, then +10 teeth and "D" for TDC, confirmed with high tech straw....continuing.... +14 teeth and line which I assume is left advance, then +9 teeth another line which I was thinking was the correct static timing for left cyl, then +1 tooth and "S" for left TDC, again straw confirms TDC.

Seems like I read somewhere that each tooth is 2 degrees. If that's right, the 10 tooth spacing for the right cyl seems wrong to get from firing (supposedly at 6 degrees BTDC) to actual TDC. If I'm trying to get 6 degrees, should I just set the static timing at three teeth BTDC? On both sides?

I've had it running, Greg Bender set static with points when he rebuilt the engine, but it didn't want to idle, which I wasn't sure but what I messed up something in the carbs...but before I go there, I want to make sure I understand the timing...and right now I don't understand the marks I'm seeing.

If this doesn't make sense, should I just use a timing wheel? I'm not against that, just thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

roy
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #163
flemsmith OP
lurk

It's running good!

Lessee, where did I leave this? Timing wheel....It took a degree wheel for me to figure out that I didn't have a static timing mark on the right (D) cyl, and that I needed to ignore the arrow, which is really more like 47 Degrees BTDC. It's really only there for flywheel assy. Guzziology says that. Now I know it. So I set static best I could, (one tooth above the D) changed out my floats and the float valve on the right side carb (didn't seem to want to run on the right as well as the left), and when I yanked the float bowl, didn't have as much gas in it as I expected...started right up, and after some fooling around with the carb balance and a timing light, it's running like a bandit...Has gobs of torque, really feels good!! Oh, and the rear drive is not leaking any more. I put new rear shocks (Ikon) on it, and it's not quite as rough as it was, but the fronts still feel pretty lacking, at least on our unmaintained dirt road drive.

Still a few things to do before I'm ready to get it licensed, but it makes a huge difference when it's running like it should. Right now it may be my favorite bike!

roy
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #164
waylongway
madmax

Sweet!

Hey Roy ,

I knew you would get it ..The Bike looks GREAT!!!! I love it!

I dig the saddle seat and raw back fender. And the sport fairing too!

See like I said, makes you feel like a Bad Ass......

must be the whole thing pulling side ways when you gas it . Its like ,Man this thing is COOL.....

Nice job, keep us posted!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #165
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,113
So did you get it registered and plated?