Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
here is my old yammie...some mods like tank and barkbuster but that was it...

I was about to go riding down to south america but changed plans at the last moment...

I miss it! and this coming from a full fledge honda xr guy now!

christian
Christian, what happened to this bike? I like the Yammie TT/XT600s too. (see sig and avatar) I had an '84 TT600 back in the mid '90s that was an absolute rocket. The one I have now is pretty close to the old one but there's a few things I gotta fix before I can give a legitimate comparison.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I have the XL6, and have owned a number of Hondas from the era, so I am biased toward the Honda reliability. It sounds like the XT6 is a pretty solid bike too, though, so I agree that either in good condition would be a good buy.

I give the edge to the Honda simply because of parts availability. There are lots aftermarket suppliers who make XR stuff, and much of that could be used on the XL if needed. Having sold so many of them, used parts would be more easily found as well. Oh, and the XL seat is soooo comfy!

I just noticed the passenger pegs mount differently, too. The swingarm mounted pegs would be a bit lower and more comfortable for a passenger.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Christian, what happened to this bike? I like the Yammie TT/XT600s too. (see sig and avatar) I had an '84 TT600 back in the mid '90s that was an absolute rocket. The one I have now is pretty close to the old one but there's a few things I gotta fix before I can give a legitimate comparison.
Cool bike!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
daviethebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Laugh

I have a 1989 Yamaha XT600 I have had since I bought it new in 1990 and a 1987 Honda XL600R I bought used last year. I bought the Honda because my ex was making it impossible to get my motorcycles after the court stuff was done and I wanted to go riding. I found the XL600 cheaper than going back to going to court . About 5 weeks after I bought the XL600 the sheriff called me and told me to make an appointment to get my motorcycles. I like both bikes but they are good for different riding. The Yamaha is better for freeways stock and I always used a 4 teeth smaller rear sprocket since I bought the bike. I originally used the Yamaha to commute to 100 miles a day. The Honda feels like it has more low end power and better for all out dirt riding. My Honda has been modified some what though, as I know the exaust is super trapp and the carbs. have been jetted, what else I am not sure about yet.
Either bike can make a person happy. I can still get parts for either bike. I would agree with getting what is in good condition and a fair price is the best bike to get. Both bikes can cause the owner to make goofy grins when the front end comes up.
daviethebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 897
Does seem the

Xl bikes hold their value...performance being similar. Does the chrome bore xt last longer than an xl? Does the xt in fact have a wider trans?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Xl bikes hold their value...performance being similar.

You're buying a $1500 bike, what kind of trade in value are you expecting to keep?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
cbig OP

you are missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
You're buying a $1500 bike, what kind of trade in value are you expecting to keep?
What I'm seeing for roughly same conditions and mileage the Honda is priced higher.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
What I'm seeing for roughly same conditions and mileage the Honda is priced higher.
I never priced out many XT's, I just figured they were about the same, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd say due to reputation Honda's are generally a more desirable brand of motorcycle so they will have a bit higher resale value vs other jap bikes. That and the XL seems to be gaining some collector value over the last few years. This was Honda's hot dual sport back in the day and it's coming up on 30 years old so it will be on the collectors radar. Not to say that this thing is the next 1969 CB750 but I have seen a few sell on ebay north of $2k even up to 3k that were in good nick.

I know someone would have to offer me a decent lump of money to take mine off my hands.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
I never priced out many XT's, I just figured they were about the same, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd say due to reputation Honda's are generally a more desirable brand of motorcycle so they will have a bit higher resale value vs other jap bikes. That and the XL seems to be gaining some collector value over the last few years. This was Honda's hot dual sport back in the day and it's coming up on 30 years old so it will be on the collectors radar. Not to say that this thing is the next 1969 CB750 but I have seen a few sell on ebay north of $2k even up to 3k that were in good nick.

I know someone would have to offer me a decent lump of money to take mine off my hands.
jajaja, hey I had a cb750 too. semi modded! awesome bike, I will say this, nothing like a 68slash90 sandcast SNOB looking at your later year cb like it was trash!

you think bmw onwer frown? hell no, sandcasters, biggest snobs on two wheels! jajajajaajajajaja

cheers folks!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,529
Quote:
....I know someone would have to offer me a decent lump of money to take mine off my hands.
$500 took my 1985 XL600R off my hands and I was glad to get that.

But it was the only motorcycle I have ever sold. Ever other one was parted out after being thrashed into useless junk.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 12:35 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
If I remember right the XT has a cast iron sleeve.
The TT600 has a chrome bore.
I ride a hybrid, XT550, with TT600 engine, and XT550 electrics, with XR350 front end and YZ465 shock.
It is my go everywhere bike and always comes home.
The Original XT550 mill started burning oil after a \n ice cold swim on a hot summer day hyper cooled the cylinder in a creek crossing. Even then it never failed, just started burning oil.....

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
The Yamaha XT single has been a favourite for overland travel, in Europe, since the introduction of the XT 500.
XT 600's have been known to go well over 100000 km's, given reasonably proper maintenance.
Tough as nails.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
motocrossross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Magazine test

I've got a 1984 Dirt Rider magazine with a 600cc dual sport shootout, it includes the XL600R, the XT600, and the KL600. They declare the XL the winner for its better dirt handling and dirt oriented power, the XT second, and the KL third. They also said that the KL should have won, with its water cooled engine, better suspension and brakes, but it was down on power compared to the Yamaha and Honda (maybe a lemon?). I have owned both the honda XL600R and the XT600, and i preferred the Yamaha. The XT has a couple inches longer wheelbase and is more stable on the road, though it doesnt turn in the dirt as well as the honda. But, with dual sport tires, neither turns like it would with real knobbies, so it matters little. My last XT ('84model) had 17,000 miles on in when i sold it, and still ran decently, it used a little oil though. My current XT(a '93 model) is apart for a top end job right now with only 11k on the clock. The original owner of that bike wasn't much on maintenance though. I can't comment on the Honda's longevity, because the '86 model i had back in the day suffered an engine destroying submarining in a muddy creek with only 2k miles on it. It was never the same after that. The Honda was easier to wheelie, though, if it matters.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one, if it was in good shape and the price was right.
'13 R1200GS

motocrossross screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:32 AM Reason: add text
motocrossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #29
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossross View Post
They also said that the KL should have won, with its water cooled engine, better suspension and brakes, but it was down on power compared to the Yamaha and Honda (maybe a lemon?).
It's no lemon. The KLR motor is probably the weakest modern single ever produced. It wasn't built very aggressive so it just doesn't make any power. I think it's because it was never intended to be raced so it was mainly designed as a reliable street motor.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
cbig OP

Thanks for the tip

I've been looking for a xl/xt type bike to suppliment my xr600. There's an xt available in my neighborhood but the guy thinks his bike is worth $3.2k. Little too rich. I could tear apart my xr600, put in a new xr650 trans with mods, redo the top end 2x. I figured from what I'd seen decent bikes are $1500 give or take a few hundred. KLR's (even early ones) don't interest me because of the weight. It would be nice to have a well running xt or xl tho I could put thru its paces in the canyons and then hit the dirt forest roads. .Got just such a trip in mind later in the year. Seems these bikes are basically mechanically equivalent?