User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
RGregor OP
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
New 336 cam from BMW

In an early thread from 2011 Moorespeed reported that he had discovered that the latest batch of BMW's 336 cams were scrap.
The means to identify them were the improper grind and that they came in a thick yellow/ opaque plastic bag

I bought a 336 this year.

The cam was wrapped in anti-corrosion paper and came in a transparent plastic bag.
The label shows "Made in Germany".

I did not check the draft as I don't have the equipment. I'll do it during the week.

As pre-info:

The cam shows the following markings.

The front face is marked with "247" and "336".

The base circle side of the exhaust valves is marked with (from front to back-side)
A symbol (looks like two "0" letters (not perfectly round at the corners) leaning together and touching at the upper side)(*)
In the center of all four lobes the number "055"
Befor the last lobe the number "6".
All letters are kind of stamped into the cam.

On the opposite side at the front the number "396" (last three letters of the part number?) and in the middle a "I".
These letters are projecting out of the material.

The interesting thing:
The symbol mentioned here (*) also shows on the Schleicher cams I have had in hands. Or the 330 I still have here. All other markings are different or at different locations.
I'll try to find out if this is a mark being characteristic for Schleicher cams.

Maybe the markings listed above could be a means to identify the misground ones.
I know that some adventurers have a 336 lying around. Also from old stock. I think that e.g. SS mentioned that once.
Can anyone check the markings?
Maybe Moorespeed still has one out of the chinese batch and can compare?

The old thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688182

RGregor screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 07:09 AM Reason: Added the link to the old thread
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
moorespeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I do not have any of the bad cams left BMW gave me my money back and a little more, but they kept selling the cams, i think they had about 400 made, and because it was a part for an old bike they thought the chances of them coming back under warranty was small due to the small amount of miles that most of the owners do, and they can always blame the followers. If you hold the cam and put a vernier accross from the base to the top of the lobe at the edge then move to the other edge you should see the lobe has a taper, if it is flat or almost flat it is scrap, cant see why you want to run one anyway.
moorespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
I've an original set on the desk next to me being used as a paperweight.

247 and 336 stamped into the nose of the cam. 216 cast into one side of the body of the cam and on the opposite side there's a symbol that looks like a pair of squarish butterfly wings (as per your description) and then 055 further down and then a 2.
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
RGregor OP

Hello Mr. Moore,

I will measure the taper as I'm not sure.
Why do I want to try the 336?
I do have some personal experience with Schleicher cams (324 and 330) and none with the 336.
Not a good basis for argumentation.
And I'm simply curious and want to know. And the cam is cheap.

Edit: I also had used a cam from Dirk Scheffer (symmetrical 333 cam) for a while. I believe I know what to expect from the 336 but knowing is better than believing.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Best regards

RG

RGregor screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 04:27 AM
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
RGregor OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
and on the opposite side there's a symbol that looks like a pair of squarish butterfly wings (as per your description)
That's the symbol I mean.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,947
RGregor, thanks for the most excellent discussions on camshafts of late. Very informative.

Quote:
BMW gave me my money back and a little more, but they kept selling the cams... because it was a part for an old bike they thought the chances of them coming back under warranty was small due to the small amount of miles that most of the owners do, and they can always blame the followers.
That is distressing. :(

Y'all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

--Bill
Old 12-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
My newly delivered 320 cam was delivered by Motoren Israel recently .

It has 247 and a 7stamped into the middle of the pair of cam lobes. And then up by the front of the cam there is RO240.6 followed by what I assume is the Schleicher symbol: an S inside a wankel shaped (best description I can think of) triangle.

Would BMW allow Schleicher to put their symbol on 'BMW' cams such as the 336? Probably not I think.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Would BMW allow Schleicher to put their symbol on 'BMW' cams such as the 336? Probably not I think.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Many BMW parts have the maker's mark on them.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
RGregor OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
My newly delivered 320 cam was delivered by Motoren Israel recently .

It has 247 and a 7stamped into the middle of the pair of cam lobes. And then up by the front of the cam there is RO240.6 followed by what I assume is the Schleicher symbol: an S inside a wankel shaped (best description I can think of) triangle.

Hello Charles,
that's interesting. Five years ago I bought my Ro.340.10 (330) directly from Schleicher. It has the same butterfly symbol than the BMW 336 cam. Can't check the 324 as it is hidden in the engine, but I do remember some other cams with that logo. And some others reporting that / referring to that symbol as well.
Never seen one with the Schleicher "S". The 330 has just the Ro 340.10 stamped on it (between the seat for the sprocket and the first lobe) but no "S".

I sent an email to Schleicher asking about the butterfly.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,586
So it seems the 336's are still made in Germany and are ground to spin the lifters? I have still only heard one direct report (albeit on the internet) of bad 336's. Pj said Jim Cray said he knew about the issue but I didn't understand if he had experienced it himself or had just heard about it through Moorespeed I suspect? If you still need me to look at any markings on my ten year old brand new BMW 336, I will.

Why would I want to run a BMW 336? I love the way they make airheads perform! I also love how they last. After 70,000 HARD miles with my 336, the only thing I needed to replace during a valve job other than the normal valves and guides were my titanium valve spring retainers. They were hammered. The 336 is a great all around cam. Great MIDRANGE with good low end and top end.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Pj said Jim Cray said he knew about the issue but I didn't understand if he had experienced it himself or had just heard about it through Moorespeed I suspect? .

I can't remember now whether he had bought one or heard about it.

As for why anyone would want to use a 336? Everything that can be said has already been said here :)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
I can't remember now whether he had bought one or heard about it.

As for why anyone would want to use a 336? Everything that can be said has already been said here :)
As usual, thanks for your input pj!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
RGregor OP

Quote:
So it seems the 336's are still made in Germany and are ground to spin the lifters?
If it's still or again we can't say. And still I haven't measured mine.
The basic idea behind posting the markings was to find out if there were major differences. Maybe some cams bought between 2009 and 2011 are still lying around unused.
If anyone had a cam with completely different markings (e.g. without the butterfly) then we could measure the taper there. And maybe find an easy rule which cam not to use.

Having a close relation to BMW I would not be disappointed if there were no problems.
But I can't believe Moorespeed was on drugs or invented the whole story :-(

Quote:
If you still need me to look at any markings on my ten year old brand new BMW 336, I will.
Please do.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
CraigC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
So, do I have a bad one?

750cc motor about to go back together. Wossner pistons, pocketed for 336 cam. Decked, ported/polish, bench flowed heads. Should I buy a new cam? Tag is dated 02/2009.

CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
RGregor OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
750cc motor about to go back together. Wossner pistons, pocketed for 336 cam. Decked, ported/polish, bench flowed heads. Should I buy a new cam? Tag is dated 02/2009.

Good question.
The label says "Made in Germany". AFAIk that only means that at least one step of production has to be performed there.
The cam has the butterfly logo (leftmost marking).

Any chance you can measure the taper?
I don't rely the result I get with MS's method.
I'll do it with the cam fixed in a lathe and a gauge on the saddle (don't know if it's the right expression.
"Support" in german) measuring height difference between the two sides of the lobes.