User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,343
Lets get busy.

Just emptied out my basket case,it looks like I have a little bit of cleaning to do.

Found out where the coolant got into the engine sump. The cylinder liner was cracked, when you bore a cylinder out 2mm overseize the liner ends up very thin. Thats why I am going back to a STD bore and will sneek some HP back by making it breathe better with cams and a 41mm FCR carbie. I will take the cylinder into work tonight on nightshift and press it out. With a 100 ton press it will have no choice but to let go.

Just remember if you pull an engine apart to spray everything with CRC Soft seal which is a wax that protects metal surfaces from rusting and washes of easy with petrol.

Take your time and organise your engine rebuild, I put everything in plastic tubs marked for each location of the engine, eg when you remove everything to get the engine out, put all the stuff in one tub labeled Frame.
Then when you dissassemble the engine have 4 tubs marked Top end, LHS, RHS and Bottom end which will be the bare cases and everything inside eg crank and transmission.

Waiting for my crank to turn up from the US. I have found a good source of parts at Kawasaki parts house in the US and I am currently talking to them about getting stuff shipped over. cheap prices.
Anyway better get back to it.

Cheers Fogo..
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
Left One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Gee it looks like you have a few train wrecks there Fogo!

Good luck with all of that mate!!
Left One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oh very tight.

Well you bunch of bastards, while you were all getting on the piss last night cause it was new years eve, I was at work slaving away in a coal mine so we could keep coal up to the power stations so you could have ya fuckin party lights on. Jey.

So anyway I thought I might treat myself to a little foreigner and press my liner out of the cylinder.

100 ton press is a little over the top, but hey that all we got at work, so thats what we used.
Oh and she was a little tight, tighter then a Nun's naughty. We sent the ram down until it touched and gave it a few little taps until the press bed took the load and that it did. The pump note changed and the pressure rose quickly on the gauge as I chickened out and back it off. As all my employees looked at me and said "Fogo you sure that is spose to come out?".
"I dunna know". I replied in a dumb voice.
Ok everyone behind the wire. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Fark, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I'll just get a bit more behind this coloum, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

BANG.

Crikey, that was tight. Liner fell out and landed on the ground. All looks pretty good. No electrolises on the inside of the barrel. So I can get new STD bore OEM liners from the States for $90, what a bargin. To recoat a nikisil bore is about $450 to 600. So this is the best way to go for Team KLX. The cast steel liners seem to handle the lugging of a heavily loaded bike better than the chrome bores. The steel liners dont seem to use oil.

Anyway I'm going to bed, and if your reading this post at this hour of the morning it must be cause your a soft cock and went to bed early last night.
Cheers Fogo...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Gidday Fogo, I like all the pic,s and the thread , very interesting .
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Nice work Fogo! I was wondering if the 680cc kit would leave the liner too thin.
I'm on the lookout for an FCR41, supposedly they bolt straight on. (I've got the stock KLX650C CV carb.)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #36
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toad Man View Post
Nice work Fogo! I was wondering if the 680cc kit would leave the liner too thin.
I'm on the lookout for an FCR41, supposedly they bolt straight on. (I've got the stock KLX650C CV carb.)
FCR 41mm is on my wish list to, but big $$$$, about $700 for the kit. But saying that the old CV carbie is a bloody good carbie, good on fuel and gives little trouble if you dont try to adjust everthing when you dont know what your doing. My bike on the HWY runs at about 17 klms to the litre, happy with that. There is a few tricks on the slide to do but, to get the "R" models into Australia LAMS approved and under the noise limit , kawasaki drilled two small holes in the front side of the cabie slide which only allows the slide to get to 3/4 open then the holes start to let vacuum pressure of the top of the diapham. These two holes need to be sealed up with liquid metal to get full Horsepower. You may want to check yours. If your not sure I can send pics on another day.

Cheers Fogo...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #37
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 6,906
Ahh fogo

I watch with anticipation

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #38
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,691
theres a cheap 41mm fcr in the flea market
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #39
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Well you bunch of bastards, while you were all getting on the piss last night cause it was new years eve, I was at work slaving away in a coal mine so we could keep coal up to the power stations so you could have ya fuckin party lights on. Jey.

So anyway I thought I might treat myself to a little foreigner and press my liner out of the cylinder.

100 ton press is a little over the top, but hey that all we got at work, so thats what we used.
Oh and she was a little tight, tighter then a Nun's naughty. We sent the ram down until it touched and gave it a few little taps until the press bed took the load and that it did. The pump note changed and the pressure rose quickly on the gauge as I chickened out and back it off. As all my employees looked at me and said "Fogo you sure that is spose to come out?".
"I dunna know". I replied in a dumb voice.
Ok everyone behind the wire. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Fark, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I'll just get a bit more behind this coloum, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

BANG.

Crikey, that was tight. Liner fell out and landed on the ground. All looks pretty good. No electrolises on the inside of the barrel. So I can get new STD bore OEM liners from the States for $90, what a bargin. To recoat a nikisil bore is about $450 to 600. So this is the best way to go for Team KLX. The cast steel liners seem to handle the lugging of a heavily loaded bike better than the chrome bores. The steel liners dont seem to use oil.

Anyway I'm going to bed, and if your reading this post at this hour of the morning it must be cause your a soft cock and went to bed early last night.
Cheers Fogo...

Nice work Mate, never seen a bike liner come out. Don't s'pose Morgans or Subzero might just happen to be on site when you need to freeze the new one down.. I've still got my Raytek gun if you need to borrow it.

FCR's - if you do get one, Chad P has set a few up with good results. I reckon he'd be pretty keen to help with some pointers if need be.

Cheers,

Dan.

Thunder Dan screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 02:02 AM
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

There is a God

Been snooping around on ebay lately and was lucky enough to pick up that "C" model crank with 6000 miles on it.
Well guess what, last night more snooping and I found the guy I bought the crank off had just put a set of cases on ebay with a note saying he has to get rid of all this C model engine bits laying around. Matching cases to the crank I just bought and farking get this -

Buy now, $19

Yes you heard right, $19, couldn't hit the button quick enough. Real nice looking original cases, bearings look real good, still lubed up and all been wraped up in a towel. Hit me pretty hard for postage over here, but thats just the way its going at the moment with stuff coming from the States. Anyway matching crank, bearings and cases, choise.
I went this way cause to pop all the bearings out of my old "C" model cases and replace them would cost me about $400. Went snooping around some bussinesses the other day and found one that would give me free access to the use of their Glass bead blasting cabinet. Scrapping engine cases can be done but bead blasting makes the mating surfaces turn out much nicer than gouging into them with a wood chisel. Can't wait to bead blast the cylinder and see how that turns out, you have to be very carefull around the top counter bore area, no scratching or scrapping around that area, If you don't know what a counter bore is, its the area at the top of the cylinder where the recess is machined into it and the top flange of the liner presses into. there is no seal there just a very small amount of high temp black silicone. When I press the new liner in I will put up some pics of how to do it and how to check the liner protrusion height so you dont blow head gaskets, if the liner is too high the fire ring area will have too much crush, it won't blow there but there wont be enough clamping force on the water jacket area and you will get a external coolant leak. If the liner is too low which can be caused from a sunken counter bore, the clamping force on the water jackets will be good, but you will blow a head gasket through the fire ring area into a water jacket.

Anyway more of that later, I'm off to the beach for the day, so you who are working ,, Suck shit.

Cheers Fogo...

Fogo72 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:05 AM
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
...to get the "R" models into Australia LAMS approved and under the noise limit , kawasaki drilled two small holes in the front side of the cabie slide which only allows the slide to get to 3/4 open then the holes start to let vacuum pressure of the top of the diapham. These two holes need to be sealed up with liquid metal to get full Horsepower....
Very interesting, thanks for that. Mine feels like it doesn't get full throttle. The throttle cables work correctly but I never thought to check for vent holes inside the carb!
EDIT: I just checked, the C model carb doesnt have the holes you described.

El Toad Man screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 06:34 PM
El Toad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
lentil
All round nice guy

Stage 2 of the Dakar and the Kwaka gets a bit out of shape!

Saw this and thought of you Fogo

<<--- shamlessly stolen form the Dakar Thread in racing

Apple fanboy

Quote:
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,507
thats gotta be fogos new avatar
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #44
lentil
All round nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
thats gotta be fogos new avatar
I could make it happen

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #45
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post

Stage 2 of the Dakar and the Kwaka gets a bit out of shape!

Saw this and thought of you Fogo

<<--- shamlessly stolen form the Dakar Thread in racing
Bloody hell, how lucky was he to be on a good bike, If he was on a Kato or something he would have been straight over the front.

But really, I CAN ride a bit like that, maybe Dakar for me next year.