Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #16
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I've found the DriRider wets to be pretty decent. First foray was a 1 piece rainsuit, but on a Grand Challenge, and over my one piece leathers, toilet stops were more like a limbo game with 2 suits to deal with.

Since then, I've used the Thunderwave jacket and pants. The PVC warehouse stuff does work, but can be quite bulky and not accommodate bike gear too well (especially the armour). I use the pants for commuting stuff, and after a couple of years of regular use (and living in the top box) they start to leak, so I replace them as required. I use the jacket for all my country riding. It packs down reasonably well and you can throw it over the top of anything else (just get a size big enough - I use 3XL) to keep the outer layers of the main jacket dry. The downside is that it doesn't breathe, so the main jacket usually gets a little damp from condensation. I could try goretex, but I figure it would cost more, and the DriRider are cheap enough to replace as required (especially with the mileage I do).

Adv Riding especially, can have a trip with miserable cold wet weather, then slow going through hot weather, so jackets like Revit can be stripped down to the mesh outer, for breathability, or layered up when cold. Problem of course is the outer isn't waterproof, and damp layers do nothing for insulation, hence the cheap jacket.

Since the thread has evolved a little... the key to dealing with the variations in temperature is layers. For extreme cold (even more important on long rides) it's heated grips and heated vest. The vest doesn't come out very often and I don't think I've even had it above middle yet, but nothing beats pumping warmth back into your core. The body expends energy to keep you warm, so the less it has to do, the more energy you have, allowing you to maintain concentration.

Before I go for the vest it's thermals and blocking the wind (rain jacket for wet or wind).
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Crash99
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

What do you guys use?
RJays jacket, Revit pants (had a Rev-it jacket too but that got a busted zipper). The neat thing about the RJays jacket is that it feels like a proper jacket instead of the stiff plastic stuff. Really, really waterproof, and I wear it over my Rev-it cordura jacket so if any rain should seep through its going to take forever to get right through.

The proof that its good? Yep, rode from Bluff to Dunedin on our way to Picton (in one day) after the "not the Icon tour" tour last year - 2.5 hours in the heaviest rain I have ever seen.
Another one - couple of weeks back Welly got blasted by some serious rain just as I was heading to work in the city from Red Baron (with a brand new front tyre ) - 20mins in and 50 mins again next morning when it was as bad - dry as, apart from cuffs.

Highly recommended.
And dont let anyone tell you a jacket is breathable and waterproof - it physically cant be completely waterproof if its breathable.
Crash99 is offline   Reply With Quote