Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #16
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
So I have done a few rides recently with groups of 8-14 bikes, and have had mixed feelings about the experience. I guess the big thing is the groups I have rode with consisted of only a rider or two I have been on a ride with before, and figuring out other people's skills in a group can be interesting. I find its either, too slow, more stops than needed, loud bikes, riders who don't know how to ride in groups, i.e., spacing, and formations, ect...

Curious to what others think, and what are your limits, and experiences.
Dirt - size of the group doesn't matter to me a bit. Dirt is a party!

Road - couple guys, no more than 3-5 and I need to know them all or have each of them vouched for by someone I know.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
2-3 bikes tops. I like large gatherings, but not large rides.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,170
Pavement-depends on who. I have a few friends that I've raced with and they're always a gas to ride with. We do terrible things like turn off the kill switch on the way by and bump. With those guys the more the merrier.

Normal people no more than 4 or 5.

Off road? Same thing. Not everyone can appreciate being pushed out of the way in a corner and many get quite irate about it.

So in the end I ride alone a lot.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
3 or 4 is perfect for a group ride as far as I'm concerned, street or dirt, If I already know them. Other than leading rides at ADV or KLRWorld events I only ride with people I know and am comfortable with. I would never (again) go riding with a large group of people I don't know. Too great a risk of dumb ass riders, LEO involvement or the worst possible outcome, boredom. The last two times I tried to ride with a large group of people I didn't know I cut out part way in. Once, I was bored to death, the other time I was scared someone would get hurt.

Myself and a friend started the infamous "WNC Epic Supermoto rides". Up to 5 or 6 people it was fine. Once folks started coming from all over and there were 12 plus riders I quit going. The pace and actions of the riders just got stupid.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I am not a pack animal, never have been! I have several friends that are of the same skill set, that I would follow anywhere. I would prefer to cast out on my own.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Usually I like to ride alone. Go at my own pace, fast if I'm feeling it, putting if I'm in the mood, stopping where and when I want. I also find that people are more likely to talk to you when you ride alone (thinking you're lonely or something?) and to me that's a big part of riding. Even on day trips, I try to go where I either haven't been or haven't been for a while.

On the road on a full sized bike I like no more than two or three, keeps people at their own rate with little "competition" with the fastest rider. I am usually the dude they have to wait for and 2 or so good friends don't mind waiting a few now and again.

Now with scooters, big groups are a blast! They're slow anyhow, so the pace is relaxed and there are sights to be seen!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,841
Speed.
Learner riders have a very limited range of speeds they can successfully use to tackle an obstacle and get past it. Great riders have a very large range of speeds, both slow and fast, that they can use to traverse an obstacle with style.

So the better the rider that greater the acceptable range of speeds that they can travel at.
If you are not happy traveling slow then you need to up your skill level or your patience.

Number of riders in a group.

Ideal 6.

More than this and the likelihood that more than 1 breakdown at one time increases too much.

Less than this and you don't have the quantity to deal with situations, like leaving two or three behind while the rest go for parts/help.

Group behavior

Different sets of people behave differently, otherwise we'd be robots. If you don't like something- say so then and there, don't let it fester. Discus it and see if there is a solution, don't get personal.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Road - couple guys, no more than 3-5 and I need to know them all or have each of them vouched for by someone I know.

Barry
Me too.

I wondered why the difference, and I think it's because on the dirt rides shit will happen. O.K. it tends to happen a bit more to the less skilled riders, but everyone there knows it might be them that needs their bike dragged out of a mudhole and it happens often enough and equitably enough that everyone develops a bit of humility.

Road riding, people can get away with being dicks for a long longer without it backfiring on them.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 523
3 or 4 at most

For dirt, I like at least 3. That way if someone's down/hurt, one person can stay with the down guy while the 3rd goes for help. Beyond 4 the logistics of keeping track of everyone, and also the possibilities of differences in riding style/preference really begins to get in the way. So 3 or 4 for dirt.

I'd say about the same for street, but the street guys I have to be very comfortable with their style/safety consciousness/etc. In the dirt it's you that causes the problem by overriding the terrain, or too much speed or whatever, but on the road somebody else can take you out so you need to be even more trusting of their abilities (read: abilities to NOT pile it up into you because they're not paying attention or allowing enough spacing or whatever).

3 or 4 seems about right. More than that and somebody in the group is gonna be "out of sync" one way or another.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Street or dirt - I'll ride with up to 4 or 5 other bikes but much prefer just 1 or 2.

Went on a couple of big group (50+ bikes) rides a few years back. Second one was my last. I didn't care for the large group dynamics, the riding standard of a few people that led me to constant concern for safety (although the group's record was actually very good), or the slooooww pace. On the second ride, I found myself stuck behind a noisy, open-pipe'd, you-know-what-brand which was completely spoiling the whole riding experience so I just peeled off after about 30 minutes. Have not attempted to ride with such a big group again.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
If you are not happy traveling slow then you need to up your skill level or your patience.
Patience is boring. Why should one want to develop such a "skill".
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #27
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Mostly alone!

Occasionally group, and they are people who I have known for at least 5yrs, I have a set group of people that I ride with and seldom in two's or three's-members of the same group.
I always and all of the group ride in very safe distance and formation-never parallel, we are speed conscientious.
My rule is to ride safe today because I want to enjoy tomorrow's ride.

Have a good ride.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
I'm another one who doesn't like the large group. Four or five is OK but one other bike or alone is best IMO.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Here we need to really give praise to those who know how to do big group rides. I rode the LooseNut ride in Nov. in Evansville ,IN. 42 riders total. They were broken up into 6 ride groups with leaders who knew where they were going. I dislike groups bigger than 5 usually. When going through an area with traffic lights ,this is particularly important as huge groups can't begin to stay together. These guys did a great job. Another thing we liked about the groups was that you could change to a "faster " group if you wanted to. If you like large group rides this is how to do it.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Barry
Exactly.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote