Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #46
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
I just steped in it,and couldn't get it off my boot.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #47
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,933
Back in Sept of 01 right after I bought my R80 G/S (now gone) I was in my local BMW shop picking up some parts and the parts manager told be about ADVrider and thought I should check it out.

Still here a decade later. Yeah I know my post count should be higher.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
SlowernOlder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Blame inmate Rattlecan for telling me about this place....
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #49
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Been awhile. After living ten minutes from The Canyons, the idea of driving an hour and a half to ski seems ridiculous. I know, I'm spoiled. On the other hand, I'm riding year round now. So it worked out. And a Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Utards.
Backatcha.....and since the boys are gone.....I took the pension.....life is good....we've got a spare bed and it's 20 minutes to seven ski resorts.....stop in some time.....I'll be skiing a bit this year with the current dump.....

And thanks for reminding me what a long strange trip it still is...........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #50
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 690
I was considering buying a bike I'd never had any experience with and found a thread with every little detail of said bike, parts availability, service manuals and general know-how in the thumpers section.

Then I read Metaljockey's Angola thread. . .
Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #51
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Written on the shithouse wall with "for a good time..."

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #52
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 519
I saw a picture of RTW Doug's* Dirtster* at a bike show and got on to read his RR. Knew instantly that I had found my people.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #53
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,997
After over a decade hiatus in riding, in early 2011 I decided that a motorcycle would best fit my needs for commuting. Somewhere in all that commuting, when I realized that, day after day, I was the only motorcyclist on the roads in some really bad conditions during each 40-mile commute (one-way, each day doing 80 miles almost exactly). By October I am guessing I got looking into something along the lines of 'extreme' riding (because riding in hurricane or tropical-storm feeder bands (and once a tornado storm cell) gets pretty dangerous ... and year-around riding meant riding in cold weather... but I couldn't afford to fix the truck so I just kept riding every day).

Maybe the terminology was more along the lines of 'road warrior' or whatever, but I wanted to learn more about guys who were spending a lot of time on their bikes. I was at a loss, locally, because 99% of the riders here are fair-weather riders, and even part of that 1% left seem to only take their bikes out to impress i-don't-know-who, but I'd commute past them on cold days when they weren't ever on the roads in rain, on just cool days, on really hot days or whenever. When one commutes as much as I did, going the speeds I was going, one gets a really good overview of who is on the highways each day... and these two cold-day-only riders all bundled up weren't ever out there other days.

I swear that 99.3% of motorcyclists in the state own motorcycles as some for of bragging rights to anyone who will see them. And then there was what I was doing - just riding, nothing matching in as far as gear or bike... or colors... and turning everyone off. I certainly wasn't looking 'cool' to anyone, but I was easily riding more miles per week, month and year than anyone who met me knew. It was just a different style of living and riding, and I was ready to take the next steps.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 05:14 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #54
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,372
OSCAR was a few miles from my house back in '04.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #55
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
When I bought the KLR, a friend said I could probably find good suggestions for milk crates on this site
Now THAT's funny.

For me, I bought a GS in 2000 and found this site in 2002 by accident. Been here ever since.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #56
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,462
Thumb google

When I was thinking of getting back on two wheels, I did a lot of research on a wide variety of bikes. No matter what bike I needed info on, it kept routing me here.
Then I stated reading ride reports and fell back in love with bikes HARD.
I had forgotten what I was missing.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #57
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 379
Heard about it on the forum for my local BMW club. I joined last year after I bought a dual sport because I wanted to learn more about off-road riding.

This place amazes me. I don't think there is a subject known to man that hasn't been covered here.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #58
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,737
was lookin for info via google on Africa Twins,XTZ 750 or R100gs....i kept coming here. I found a r100gspd and i stayed
Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #59
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
I am a total computer noob but riding for many years. A new fellow at work had a KLR and said a buddy had one for sale on Ridetherock.com. Had no idea what that meant but i bought the bike. Learned alot from lurking that site at work and joined a year later. Somebody linked a RR from here and i went on it. Oh my.
As a year round rider in Newfoundland I have always been considered extreme on two wheels. On ridetherock i was looked at as a hardcore oldtimer who logs some big mileage but here i blend in just as normal as can be. Small fish and i love it.
Thanks to all who do what they do here to keep it going.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #60
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,104
Thumb

Lifetime car guy, rode mini bikes and dirt bikes as a kid but really never much on the road (well, legally). Motorcycles as a device just didn't fascinate me the way cars did, despite the fact I'm wowed much more by simple mechanicals than I am by exotic bodywork.

My brother-in-law, who is going through life being interested in everything (for two years, anyway) took up riding, first on a V-Star (yawn) and then a BMW R1100R. That bike piqued my interest a bit. Eventually it got an ADV sticker on it and I asked what that was. I browsed out of curiosity and after reading some ride reports (my favorite is still Poor Man Uraling the US) I finally got it. I understood what motorcycles can, and should be, about. I had dismissed them as chrome laden penis extensions because that's all that I saw, but there was a subculture out there that actually rode the things for a purpose other than to impress others. So I read about bikes of various kinds, and bought a KLR from an inmate. Had great fun and found a new way of life and stress relief. When the KLR grew tiresome, I swapped another inmate for a Wee Strom.

The ADV community is unique, filled with like-minded individuals who will do anything to help each other. I've found great rides, endless tech info and even life advice in the various forums. My adventures are far from epic, but they are far more than the couch surfing I did before I found this place.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote