Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
WindSailor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Yeah, well I'm pretty sure the battery in the Apollo 13 spacecraft was an Odyssey. This is absurd.
Yep. My next battery that I wanted to buy was the Odyssey - but this kind of put the damper on it for sure. They make chargers specific for the Odyssey and if that don't get it - maybe it is time to look forward to the Lithium battery after all.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Yep. My next battery that I wanted to buy was the Odyssey - but this kind of put the damper on it for sure. They make chargers specific for the Odyssey and if that don't get it - maybe it is time to look forward to the Lithium battery after all.
Best charger, and only needed one for the Odyssey:

Once in a while you might want to put it on a Battery Tender Junior if you are not doing the above. But just for a few hours.

Otherwise no charger needed.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
WindSailor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Best charger, and only needed one for the Odyssey:

Jim

OK... I give in... can't beat that for sure...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,054
Quote:
What you have to remember here is that most any other type of battery would in the recycling pile.
With the Odyssey you have a very good change of recovering it.
I have installed all kinds of batteries in ATV's for remote sites and In local bikes.
The Odyssey seems to last the best, and no I am not a dealer or affiliated with them in any way.
Be sure to do your research on Lithiums....lot's are switching back.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
WindSailor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
What you have to remember here is that most any other type of battery would in the recycling pile.
With the Odyssey you have a very good change of recovering it.
I have installed all kinds of batteries in ATV's for remote sites and In local bikes.
The Odyssey seems to last the best, and no I am not a dealer or affiliated with them in any way.
Be sure to do your research on Lithiums....lot's are switching back.
I've been watching the Lithium threads fairly closely and I'm not exactly sold on them just yet - from my understanding the GS is one of the few bikes that run at 14.4v, enough to keep the cells somewhat balanced in the Lithium battery.

I'll still keep the Odyssey as my next choice for a non-Lithium type of battery... as long as I don't have to go through that recovery process while maintaining it with a approved charger in the meantime.

Thanks for posting your reply on how to fully recover an Odyssey battery. Good info.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,054
Quote:
I've been watching the Lithium threads fairly closely and I'm not exactly sold on them just yet - from my understanding the GS is one of the few bikes that run at 14.4v, enough to keep the cells somewhat balanced in the Lithium battery.

I'll still keep the Odyssey as my next choice for a non-Lithium type of battery... as long as I don't have to go through that recovery process while maintaining it with a approved charger in the meantime.

Thanks for posting your reply on how to fully recover an Odyssey battery. Good info.
You are welcome.
You 2011 GS may run at 14.4v. I would monitor with a good quality DVM to be sure.
The Oilheads all run at 13.9 to 14.1 which is low even for an Odyssey. Years ago I modified my regulator for 14.7v output to accommodate charging the Odyssey properly. Even with that I still equalize at 14.9v+ every 2-3 months.(not mandatory but extends life)
AGM Batteries do better with a higher charge voltage.

GS Addict screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 06:03 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
Plane Dr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
The jury is out I'll see how the recovery went. If it worked I'll be a hard core convert. If not, I still have to say it has been a good battery. The next few months of cool starts here will decide.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #38
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,068
My Battery sounded a little flat this weekend, so I just ordered a 535 here for $105 seemed like a deal to me. they sent me a code to for another 2% off. not sure if it will still work for anyone else but its> 2offtotal give it a try.
looks like my snapper mower will get the old battery and i wont have to pull start it anymore, its been waiting on a new donor battery for a while.

And after reading about three hrs of battery threads i hope i made the right choice.

the battery thats in there now is so old i forgot what it is, i DO use a Battery Tender Plus most of the time. I really need to look because I think i bought it at an auto parts store in AL on a winter trip.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote