Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Adv Grifter OP
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
RTW on a 250? WR250/KLX/XR-L or Chinese?

More and more ADV'ers going for smaller bikes for long range rides. Who has ridden a 250cc bike down to Argentina? ... or across Africa? Is this a sane idea? And what about one of the new Chinese 250's? If you've done long range, high miles riding on a 250, would you do it again? Which bike is best for day after day abuse, fully loaded, racking up around 20,000 to 25,000 miles?

Which is MOST reliable and least maintenance intensive?
Which bike is practical and cost effective to upgrade to make it a true long range travel bike?
Which bike can handle a heavy load on rough terrain for MONTHS?
Think about Fuel capacity; MPG and RANGE. Would one have to haul Aux fuel tanks everywhere? ... or buy a $800 tank from Australia?

Would an older KLR250, 250 Super Sherpa, XT250, XT225 Serow, DR200 or 250, XR250L be a better bet ? ... or better to go with one of the newer 250's? (KLX, WR250, CRF-L). Why?

I had a newish KLX250S for a month, so I have time on that machine. (was selling for a friend) Briefly rode the WR250 too, impressive but very expensive. I've not ridden the new Honda CRF250L ... but reports are not great. Heavy, poor suspension, cheap components and added complexity of F.I. I did major upgrades on a friends CRF230 ... like it a lot. But no sub frame.

The Wild Card bikes here come from China. Many new Chinese dual sports flooding the market both in the USA and in Latin America.
Are ALL of them as bad as we imagine? Or are there a few GEMS among the Junk?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 12:59 PM Reason: pics
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,660
Probably the BEST 250 for international travel is the XT250. The XT225 is a close second. I believe air cooling is a plus on the smaller engine bikes.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Adv Grifter OP
on the road o'dreams

I don't believe Yamaha sell the XT250 street legal in the USA. (Correction: just checked American Yamaha website, the XT250 is there! )

I know Lois (above) rode an XT250 on her Africa trip, and used the Serow for Latin America. Her Serow was a "problem child" from day one. The good news is apparently MOST are all good for years and years.
Cheers

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 03:05 PM
Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I don't believe Yamaha sell the XT250 street legal in the USA. I know Lois
(above) rode an XT250 on her Africa trip, and used the Serow for Latin America. Her Serow was a "problem child" from day one. The good news is apparently MOST are all good for years and years.
Cheers
Her XT225 was clapped out from the start. It is a testament to Yamaha that it could finish in such poor condition.
The XT250 is new from 08 and is the Yamaha Tricker with a high fender.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
I like the wr250r alot and then the klx250s.
I think the wr is the best all around 250, but the klx has a carburetor for simplicity and reliability.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,070
I wouldn't hesitate to set off an a RTW trip on a KLX250S. Maybe reinforce the rear subframe a bit if I had a lot of gear. The WR250R is purported to be a better bike all around, but personally, if I were going RTW on one, I would box up a fuel pump or two and leave them with someone who could ship one to me if I needed it. Other than that, both bikes have proven to be bulletproof. The WR has a 4.7 gallon tank available, and that's a big plus.

Here's my KLX loaded up:

Check out the Minimalist Touring Thread if you haven't already for more small cc long trip inspiration! Inmate Spud Rider has a Zongshen with a ton of miles on it. Here's his post regarding the bike: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4634.

cjbiker screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 04:21 PM
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
research

Honestly, you could not give me any of the xt collection. Good for the starter & the not in tune rider.

The wr250x or the wr250r, knobbies can fit on both ends of the x & is about 1.5 inches shorter. Its FI is a sure thing & no issues about chronic problems. Only negitive about the wr would be the chain eating into the swing arm when you go to a smaller primary or you run to tight. The 2 gal tank is only good up to 125 miles & there is still bout 25 left inside. But don't run it dry. After market 4 gal tanks are now to be had & for a traveler it would be a good investment.

The kawi is another very good scoot but w/ a carb you could start to run richer at higher mt passes.

You're at a fun point of making a selection, don't please anyone but yourself. Check out the different sites the owners hang & learn form their issues or the lack of them.

Best of luck to you
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,132
theagaveprince rode his R2 around SA from the USA.
He ran stock gearing and crap gas in SA and damaged piston ring lands at 30k miles. Guess he lugged it a bit much.
He does not blog or really do forums. Last I heard he was in Turkey on the WR250R running K60 tires with 10k miles on'em.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4...-south-america

In JDowns RR he comments on a gal from OZ on a Sherpa for 6 years with 100k miles on it.
She does not blog, facebook or forum.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 917
l've done a 10k mile trip on my wr250r/x and if I could be satisfied with 250 power wouldn't hesitate to take it rtw. The rding part of rtw is very important to me so I go with the what moves the soul as well as the body over cost effectiveness. I dont want to be 5k miles into a 20k mile trip wishing I had a better bike.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
You need to search this site. This thread already exists, and also includes the DR650.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Adv Grifter OP
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
You need to search this site. This thread already exists, and also includes the DR650.
Have you done much searching here? If you can find "this thread" please post the link.

Does it include the idea of Chinese 250's in the mix? Or pics of riders doing RTW or super LD type rides? Love to read about that.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Yes, I've done searches here - the stock engine sucks. So, use google search as "topic:site=advrider.com/forums".

I can't find the multi-250 thread off the cuff - I had it subscribed, but let it go last year - I can only keep track of so many at a time.

As another start, try this thread below, and then search using the string above on the the KLX and the Chinese 250s to fill in the holes. This should save you a lot of reinventing the wheel on this question.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605104

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,694
I wouldn't hesitate for a second taking the CRFL rtw ( or elsewhere ) if it wasn't for the fact that in lots of parts of the world it's a new model or doesn't even exist yet. But if you're just talking about the bike as such, hell yes I would. Since it's so new there aren't a lot of long distance reports yet, but there's a guy on HU who left a while back from Canada riding down to SA. Haven't followed his progress so I don't know much more than that.

But I mean come on...it's a Honda...

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
I see what you did there. You're looking for permission/a blessing to ride Chinese. I don't think you're going to find it here.
You can take your chances with a Chinese bike, maybe find one that won't destroy itself on you. Try to go RTW with it, have electrics fail (or not), engine blow up (or not), or any of a myriad of poor-quality parts issues. You can do all that, and it still won't repair the Chinese bike reputation.
Personally, (and I speak from a position of former owner of Chinese and from working on them @ a couple motorcycle shops) I would never trust a Chinese bike to take me cross-country, much less RTW. Throw the rigors of DS riding in, and it's a definite no-go for me.

And no, obviously not all Chinese machines are absolute crap. There's always someone with a story about their/a buddy's Chinese knock-off bike with 100,000 miles and no issues. But a RTW adventure is not where I want to find out if my bike is a diamond in the rough, or tends to follow the norm.

Now, someone's going to say "hey the motor for your Sertao was built in China". I also have it from personal experience wrenching and working at those motorcycle shops that "Chinese-built" is not the same as "made-in-China-with-Foreign-overseers-running-the-plant". "Chinese-built" tends to mean built with stolen plans, crap steel/aluminum, cheap electrics and plastics, and with out-of-spec machines. "made-in-China-with-Foreign-overseers-running-the-plant" tends to mean a solid product, as in the case of everything made in China that doesn't suck (motorcycles, electronics, etc.)

Ride what you wish. One of the nice things about life is we get to learn from our experiences and mistakes. But my advice is to suck it up, shell out the $$ for a name-brand bike, and ride w/o worry.
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,372
A good buddy of mine owns a small indy motorcycle repair shop. He is a top notch mechanic, but is very picky with the results, and as such, is very picky with what bikes he choses to repair or not. He will not do anything more than tire replacements on Chinese products because he tried to work on them, but found them all to be so poorly made he couldn't guarantee the results.

Granted, he didn't try every brand, but did enough of them and looked over enough (he carefully screens the bikes before he agrees to work on them because he's worried about his reputation) to know he won't really touch them.