User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
live4daride OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Recommendation on good Adventure/Road riding pants

Some advice from the experienced please.
I'm looking at getting some new pants and was wondering just how much better items like BMW pants and $750-$340 KLIM pants are, say compared to $200 Dririder Rallycross.

I like the idea of pants with knee armor contained within, and over boot, for convenience of unplanned rides, just pull em on and go.
I do quite alot of road riding,commuting on my DR as well as dirt road, some fire trail, and this is what i am looking to cater for.
I've have previously used Rjays and Motodry pants that are inbuilt with waterproof liners, but find these get hot and uncomfortable to walk around in and are a poor fit, especially where the knee armor floats around which then might not be in the right spot when you crash .
I dont mind carrying pullover rain pants for proper rain. This is what i have been using in conjunction lately with my road racing leather pants. I like these as they are comfortable, have stretch panels, armor/padding at knees and hip.

I have MX boost, pants n knee guards for the YZ, that keeps me covered for more serious dirt use.

I dont mind paying extra for quality, just want to make sure its worth it.
live4daride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Left One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4daride View Post
I'm looking at getting some new pants and was wondering just how much better items like BMW pants and $750-$340 KLIM pants are, say compared to $200 Dririder Rallycross.

I like the idea of pants with knee armor contained within, and over boot, for convenience of unplanned rides, just pull em on and go.
I do quite alot of road riding,commuting on my DR as well as dirt road, some fire trail, and this is what i am looking to cater for.
I've have previously used Rjays and Motodry pants that are inbuilt with waterproof liners, but find these get hot and uncomfortable to walk around in and are a poor fit, especially where the knee armor floats around which then might not be in the right spot when you crash .
I dont mind carrying pullover rain pants for proper rain. This is what i have been using in conjunction lately with my road racing leather pants. I like these as they are comfortable, have stretch panels, armor/padding at knees and hip.

I have MX boost, pants n knee guards for the YZ, that keeps me covered for more serious dirt use.

I just bought a pair of Klim Dakar pants and used them on the longest day ride. Bloody awsome over boot pant. Well priced and will definately buying another pair when these wear out.

Cheers,
Lefty
Left One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Some of the klim pants are around same price as the rallycross ones,these pants are brilliant worth a look."Dakar" series pants the ones i got.

johnno950 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 05:39 PM Reason: info
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,355
I've had loads of bike specific pants, and most anything "waterproof" tended to leak soon after purchase, and generally had the breathability of a condom. In short, most unsatisfactory.

Someone in here advertised a used BMW Rally II Pro suit, so I took a ride, tried it on (it is simply the best fitting gear I've ever had) and wore it home, and haven't looked back since.

It has full (removable) armour in the jacket and pants, goretex removable liners that truly work as advertised, works in-boot or over-boot, is multi-adjustable for different seasons, has inbuilt closable air vents, waterproof jacket pocket for wallet, inbuilt water bladder pouch, removable sleeves, etc etc etc.

It's the old story, you get what you pay for. In my experience, the BMW Rally Pro riding gear is superb, i have yet to see or wear anything comparable. It doesn't seem to wear out either.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
I have a pair of Klim Dakar pants and they are great, but not water proof. I now have maybe 25,000 kms wearing a pair of Klim Traverse pants, and Jacket which has done <> 40,000 kms. The Traverse gear is without doubt the best I've used. It breathes, is well ventilated and is about as completely waterproof as gear can be. No liners, and none needed. I got caught in a dump a couple of months ago and I reckon it was 4" in 1.5 hrs or so and all that was a bit damp was half or so of my forearms where some water wicked its way in past the cuffs. Everything else including my crotch was dry, amazing. It does need normal armour though. I reckon its a very fair price for what it is too, and its showing no wear at all. All the zips work like new, its trerrific stuff.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4daride View Post

I have a pair of the Klim Dakar pants and have been very happy with them.

They do have inbuilt knee/hip protection but it is very flimsy. I just replaced it with some better quality stuff from some other pants I have. Quite good in summer if you are moving along as they have long leg zips to let plenty of air in. Available in Oz from here: http://www.dirtworx.com.au/index1.html

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 856
Rally Cross pro is a good cheaper option. Need separate armour, which is more secure anyway.:)
Steer clear of Akito unless they have improved the stiching. Mine left Perth new, made it to a skip bin in Cairns.down:
Don't expect adventure pants to be cool enough for hot weather riding on slower trails though.:eek:

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
I have klim dakar pants over boot type , Awesome but not waterproof because of flexible panel around knee and wedding tackle , They have a zippered vent up the front of the leg that also could be a entry point for water , having said that i have ridden in some pretty heavy rain and only get a little water through , but in summer they are vented well

bb
bbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I've had loads of bike specific pants, and most anything "waterproof" tended to leak soon after purchase, and generally had the breathability of a condom. In short, most unsatisfactory.

Someone in here advertised a used BMW Rally II Pro suit, so I took a ride, tried it on (it is simply the best fitting gear I've ever had) and wore it home, and haven't looked back since.

It has full (removable) armour in the jacket and pants, goretex removable liners that truly work as advertised, works in-boot or over-boot, is multi-adjustable for different seasons, has inbuilt closable air vents, waterproof jacket pocket for wallet, inbuilt water bladder pouch, removable sleeves, etc etc etc.

It's the old story, you get what you pay for. In my experience, the BMW Rally Pro riding gear is superb, i have yet to see or wear anything comparable. It doesn't seem to wear out either.

I hope this helps.
10,000% on the BMW gear.

It's the most awesome gear you can get.

I bought another set of rallye pro when it was being phased out.

The new euro body armor padding is soooo absorbent.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I really like my Rev'it Defender pants. Comfortable, warm, cool, waterproof, visible, protective, whatever I need them to be.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
Riding pants.

I have KLIM Dakar pants that are great but found them to be heavy and sized large...Not knocking them though, KLIM is quallity stuff.Have not done long distance K's in them...
I also have Revit Sand riding gear and are elated with the comfort and usabilty all types of weather.
One of judgment call when buying new riding gear is how easliy it is to get on and off.... I find cheaper gear tends to snag and tangle up within it's self and armour moves etc when tacking them off....

Horseman...

horseman474 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 09:26 PM Reason: spelling error
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
I'm utterly happy with Tiger Angel Element pants. Made to measure in melbourne, they have the gortex layer sandwiched in the cordura material , so no farting around on the side of the road like a one legged kangaroo putting a waterproof liner back on under the pants like the bmw ones require. They breathe well, very waterproof and armoured. Had mine made to a baggy fit so as to be overpants, really comfortable. Not cheap, in fact quite pricey but leave anything else i have bought for dust.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Another +1 for Klim Traverse. Waterproof without that stupid idea of putting a liner in........ and way cheaper than the BMW stuff.
griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Thumb

I wear a BMW Rallye II jacket over a pair of BMW Trailguard pants, the pants are the most comfortable pants I have ever used and I picked them up for around $300 on sale.

I noticed some of the Beemer dealers had them on sale just before Christmas, definitely worth a look.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 272
Any views on the RST Ventilator 3 pants?