ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 198
Legal Consequences of Lane Splitting/Filtering?

Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
It's only not-illegal in California.

People feel very entitled in the USA, expect to have a door opened on ya in the rest of the states.

I'll split/filter in hot as hell states like Nevada and Arizona, if there isn't a good reason for it I don't do it outside of California where drivers are used to it.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 7,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.
I can only relate what happened when I got pulled, on my Austrian plated bike with a UK driving licence, for speeding. I was put in the patrol car, driven to an ATM and made to pay an "on the spot fine".

As for whitelining, I did it in NYC with no problems, but when I hit a big traffic jam leading up to the Hoover Dam (so not in a city) I took my lead from other bikers and decided not to.

I stayed off the interstates for the most part, and encountered very few occasions when I felt that whitelining would have been quicker.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
toy4fun
GET out of the way
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Beautiful downtown Roy, WA
Oddometer: 244
The legal folks can tell that side. What you really need to be concerned with is how either act can get people angry which just drives them crazy enough to hurt you.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,290
I'm sure this thread will dissolve into political and legal hair-splitting, but my practical advice is no matter what you call it or what the speed, do it ONLY in CA.

In all other states you're going to be running a huge risk of a ticket and if the cops see you doing this, they're not going to look the other way. Car/truck drivers, are going to be, at best, surprised about you doing this with the attendant safety implications. In some cases, they're going to be downright hostile and belligerent.

It's just not a good idea anyplace but CA. It's just not something that is done over here (except CA).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
JRP
Old guy
 
JRP's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hampden, MA
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It's only not-illegal in California.

People feel very entitled in the USA, expect to have a door opened on ya in the rest of the states.

I'll split/filter in hot as hell states like Nevada and Arizona, if there isn't a good reason for it I don't do it outside of California where drivers are used to it.
The irony is very strong in this post
__________________
"What could possibly go wrong? " The Jerk
2012 TE 250
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous,
Often dangerous? Not really. It is only as dangerous as the rider makes it.

Personally, I only split in CA. And even in CA you can get a ticket for it if a LEO doesn't think you're doing it "in a safe and prudent manner."

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,493
You're good-to-go in California. Other places you might have some trouble from the man, or from irate motorists. I do it occasionally here in Florida, especially if the traffic is stopped dead. If you get pulled over you can probably talk your way out of it if you start with "Cheers, mate! Beautiful country you have here. What's that? Illegal?! Sorry, mate, I had no idea. What? Yes, of course I know Crocodile Dundee. We went to school together back in Billabong." Etc.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You're good-to-go in California. Other places you might have some trouble from the man, or from irate motorists. I do it occasionally here in Florida, especially if the traffic is stopped dead. If you get pulled over you can probably talk your way out of it if you start with "Cheers, mate! Beautiful country you have here. What's that? Illegal?! Sorry, mate, I had no idea. What? Yes, of course I know Crocodile Dundee. We went to school together back in Billabong." Etc.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.

I'd be FAR less concerned with the legality of it than if it is socially accepted where you are doing it.

You will quickly learn that the USA has a serious problem with a "me first" and "it's all about ME" entitlement attitude. This translates into some dangerous behavior on the road if a driver even feels they have been "slighted" or "taken advantage of."

California is one of the very few places where the general population will NOT feel slighted by filtering, as you define it. Trying that almost anywhere else in the US is a very dangerous proposition, not because of law enforcement, but because of selfish drivers who don't want YOU to be first and will literally use their vehicles as weapons against you. At the very least you will the target of some unpleasant discourse.

In short, I strongly reccomend avoiding filtering or splitting anywhere you don't regularly see other motorcyclists doing it.

I've filtered to get out of stopped traffic due to an accident on the interstate only once, and just for about a mile. You can probably get away with that most places, but be extremely careful, and don't do it unless traffic is COMPLETELY stopped.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
What's with all of the "Americans are all self-entitled assholes on the highway" crap? I live/drive/ride on the west coast and find that other road users are, for the most part, quite polite. Don't impose your own asshole-ness on others.

The one thing you need to be aware of when riding in the US is that many drivers/riders consider turn signals "optional" - unlike a lot of other countries where you might actually get a ticket for not using them.

duck screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 06:51 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 372
if you're coming to the U.S. to see the country on a motorcycle,and you feel that traffic is so bad you will need to split/filter you are going to the wrong spots. if you are in heavy traffic at a tourist spot like Yellowstone and filter, it's not helping traffic flow, it's just cutting in line.
enjoy the trip!
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
abnslr
rides a motorcycle
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Napoli
Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What's with all of the "Americans are all self-entitled assholes on the highway" crap? ...
"Americans are all..." anything is an overstatement, but the risk of vehicular assault by road ragers that's being discussed here is legitimate, in some places at least. Living in the DC and northern Virginia area I saw quite a bit of the "me first at all costs" driving described above, and I'm sure that's not the only place it happens.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
"Americans are all..." anything is an overstatement, but the risk of vehicular assault by road ragers that's being discussed here is legitimate, in some places at least. Living in the DC and northern Virginia area I saw quite a bit of the "me first at all costs" driving described above, and I'm sure that's not the only place it happens.
That's why I stated that I am on the west coast. I understand that everybody on the east coast is a dickhead. (Just kidding.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
Coastalcop
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 51
While there is considerable debate in Texas regarding lane splitting (I is not specifically allowed or prohibited, and while you can have two "lines" of traffic within a "lane" and be ticketed for failing to "maintain line or lane" the debate continues with county attorneys and cops throughout the state as a subject for fireside chats)

To approach Ferrys in the state it is generally ok, as on a bike you will be asked to wait at the front until the ferry is full and then shoehorned into the squeezable spaces in back. locals know this and dont get bent out of shape.

Taking the shoulder in stopped traffic to get to an exit is generally ok too, just remember like anywhere else, the driver is probably texting while listening to the radio and putting on HIS eyeliner and could decide to pull out too.

Use a fair degree of common sense and a heavy friendly accent if stopped and you should be just fine, not fined.
__________________
The "Copper-Lite Crew", cause some cops are older than Dinosaur Sh*t (look up coprolite if you dont get it)

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014