Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I can only relate what happened when I got pulled, on my Austrian plated bike with a UK driving licence, for speeding. I was put in the patrol car, driven to an ATM and made to pay an "on the spot fine".
Seriously? I have not heard of that is many many years! What state were you in at the time?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
The irony is very strong in this post

Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
"Americans are all..." anything is an overstatement, but the risk of vehicular assault by road ragers that's being discussed here is legitimate, in some places at least. Living in the DC and northern Virginia area I saw quite a bit of the "me first at all costs" driving described above, and I'm sure that's not the only place it happens.
I'll add to that lane sharing in the DC area IS do-able, but you have to be a lot more careful. Johnny Law don't like it so its more 'go a few cars and hit a gap' than 'ride up the middle CA-style.' Repeat the 'ride a few cars and hit a gap' as needed.

In the year I was commuting that way from outside Manasshole to Rockville I had 3 'incidents.' All with 'locals.' Lots and lots of people from other places/countries in the DC area so they don't blink an eye. 'Locals' are another story.

DC is an interesting place to drive. Lots of ambition. Lots of 'I'm gonna get ahead of you even if I have to cut you off to do it!' kinda driving. What's really sad about that is EVERY swinging richard out there is stuck in the same effing traffic you are and they're not getting anywhere much quicker.

Thank doG I don't have to live with that daily.

Oh, and MCs are allowed in the HOV lanes.

M
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
The official law in Ca. is no more than 5 mph over traffic speed and no faster than 30 mph (not that any of that is enforced unless there's a wreck).
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Be careful and when/if you get pulled over just be jovial and nice. You will likely be let go with a warning due to that funny accent of yours.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
The official law in Ca. is no more than 5 mph over traffic speed and no faster than 30 mph (not that any of that is enforced unless there's a wreck).

That isn't true, but this is the 'myths' forum.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

I thought it was 15 over traffic speed.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,111
IMO, traffic laws, cop attitudes, and driver attitudes are too disparate to discuss the USA as a whole.

You might get away with it quite a lot if you can fib a little. "Sorry, mate, I'm on holiday from down under and this is the first real traffic I've hit, didn't even think about it- it's how we ride." But keep pushing and you're going to get cited for it, sooner or later.

Duck is right, sort of. Most 'merkin drivers are OK. But quite a lot of them do not like you "getting ahead" of them. I've seen more road rage due to lanes merging than anywhere else. Even in California, outside the really big cities, they're not really used to lane splitting and may react poorly to it.

Coupled with the standard randomness of turn signal use and driver inattentiveness, plus the fact we all appear to drive on the wrong side of the road*- proceed with caution.

While I understand there are big cities you may wish to visit, there's not much planning required to do your riding through them during times when lane splitting won't really be necessary.

*That's just an optical illusion, because you're in the Northern Hemisphere. Carry on.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I can only relate what happened when I got pulled, on my Austrian plated bike with a UK driving licence, for speeding. I was put in the patrol car, driven to an ATM and made to pay an "on the spot fine".
Where did that happen? I seriously doubt that was on the up and up if it happened the the US.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That isn't true, but this is the 'myths' forum.

wow, thanks! I just looked it up, and all it says is in a "safe and prudent manner". I guess I can worry a bit less when I do it at higher speeds!

Also, sorry for the bum info.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
Actualy..yes, in Mesa. Not much to see on highways anyway, I stick to backroads.

My point was that you feel drivers are "entitled" but somehow riders are not if they feel they should split/filter.

Need to ride to work? Get up earlier and take backroads, more fun amyway.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What's with all of the "Americans are all self-entitled assholes on the highway" crap? I live/drive/ride on the west coast and find that other road users are, for the most part, quite polite. Don't impose your own asshole-ness on others.

The one thing you need to be aware of when riding in the US is that many drivers/riders consider turn signals "optional" - unlike a lot of other countries where you might actually get a ticket for not using them.
IMHO not using a turn signal is not only dangerous but qualifies you as a "self-entitled asshole".

Here in Southern California we have a very large immigrant population from all over the world and I believe they have brought their chaotic driving habits with them. Unfortunately, the native drivers have now adopted these habits.

It is truly frightening to drive here. You take your life in your hands any time you go out on the road.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Had that problem going through Zion NP last year. 105 degrees and a mixture of lookie-loos and drivers who must of felt it was their right to drive 15 mph on a one lane, no passing road. I had o pull over and let the bike cool once, and I may have crossed a double yellow at some point...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
I'd have to agree with others here, watch yourself in the other 49 states when splitting. I've done it on occasion here in Oklahoma if I feel there is a danger to myself - For instance, we have a real problem with traffic being stopped on the highway for construction or some other thing, and someone flying up from behind at 65 MPH because they don't know traffic is stopped. I'll split in something like that, if only to get myself away from the Dumbass Impact Zone. I've not been doored for it yet, typically I'm several cars ahead before any one car notices that there is a motorcycle "cheating" by riding between lanes. I get honked at, but don't have much chance to get hit. I've also been known to hit the grass median and pass when there is an accident, or just general rubbernecking.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
IMHO not using a turn signal is not only dangerous but qualifies you as a "self-entitled asshole".

Here in Southern California we have a very large immigrant population from all over the world and I believe they have brought their chaotic driving habits with them. Unfortunately, the native drivers have now adopted these habits.

It is truly frightening to drive here. You take your life in your hands any time you go out on the road.

What you call "frightening" others call "FUN!"

If everyone did what they were supposed to do it would almost be boring.