Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #76
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Well, you TALK a good game. Best of luck, keep us posted.
Talk and walk, but I do not have to prove myself to you or anyone.

At least I do not openly bypass my principals for a bit of convenience. YOU, obviously have no such issues letting someone take advantage of you, IF this is even true. You haven't proven anything at this point. Just mouthing off.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #77
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
The reason they do it is because most people take it, and don't fight back. If you have more time than money, by all means call their bluff! Depending on jail conditions they might not even put you in jail. I have known people that wanted to serve jail time in lieu of fines, and kept pressing that option, and they ended up reducing the time, or dropping it all together. What they really want is your money! Period! They don't want you in jail, that cost them money, the threat of jail is there to get you to pay up.

I think this whole idea of demanding instant payment, from foreigners, or even residents of different states, must leave a bad taste in their mouth. Just not a good way to treat visitors. Highway robbery, just like Mexico! Don't get me wrong I like Mexico, and the people, but because of the corrupt police, government officials, etc..., I don't visit there anymore.

Now if they are doing something truly dangerous, that is different, like DWI, DUI, >20 mph over etc...., but considering some of the speed limits in the Eastern states are ridiculously low anyway, getting popped for 66 in a 60, then demanding cash on the spot, I mean what kind of impression does that leave?
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #78
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What's with all of the "Americans are all self-entitled assholes on the highway" crap?
It's a big, fat, unpleasant, fact! Not "all" of course - but clear to anyone with much experience of driving elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
if you're coming to the U.S. to see the country on a motorcycle,and you feel that traffic is so bad you will need to split/filter you are going to the wrong spots. if you are in heavy traffic at a tourist spot like Yellowstone and filter, it's not helping traffic flow, it's just cutting in line.
enjoy the trip!
It does, indeed, help traffic flow - but only if you keep doing it ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Rider View Post
To the best of my knowledge, lanesplitting or if you prefer filtering, is not legal in all 50 states.
In California, lanesplitting is not addressed in the traffic code and is considered by many "not illegal"
While it may be not legal and not illegal, it is still a stupid practice.
Why "stupid"? The few times filtering/lane-splitting has been studied, it has been concluded to be safer, as well as helping traffic flow. I've tried it in Louisiana and the only reason its not safe there is the attitude of asshole cage drivers (pickups being notably the worst, for no good reason I can fathom)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 01:24 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #79
mylovelyhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
This has been quite an interesting thread. One of the items on my list of rides yet to do is across the US visiting as many smaller places as I can.

Here in the UK, I live in the South East and ride into London regularly. I do what I call filtering most days. Frankly, it's more or less mandatory if you want to get anywhere in London. By filtering I mean overtaking stationary or slow moving traffic either by using the gap between same-direction lanes or the gap between the stream of vehicles and the actual centre of the lane. If there's a long queue of traffic and nothing coming the other way, I perform a wide overtake - crossing to the centre of the other lane and riding along there. That gives clearance in case some numpty decides to do a u-turn and keeps me very visible should anything start coming the other way.

When I ride in Foreign Parts I tend to back off and do it less, although I will still pass very slow traffic if necessary.

I always obey solid white lines as I expect that most coppers in most countries will tend to get very cross about that one.

If and when (probably a few years) I get to go to the US for my cross-country trip, it looks like I'll have to be even more wary of the road users than I expected - and keep more than one eye out for the Dibble. Hopefully if I get pulled, if I put on my best accent and the wife smiles nicely at them, if I will get away with it.

Cheers

m
mylovelyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #80
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Be careful even in California, ive had a couple people get pissy and try to race and force me to not take the lane...i had one guy in a mercedes race past me and cut me off 3 lights in a row because i was filtering at the stopped lights, not sure why that made him feel like a tough guy but i took the hint that he is a complete psychopath and quit filtering until i was away from him.
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #81
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Please allow me to give my viewpoint on the subject of filtering (US = lane splitting). In 2002 and 2006 I rode from West Coast to East Coast and then East-to-West-to-East Coasts the first trip in six weeks and the second in three months so as an English rider have experienced US driving habits. Yes, filtering in California is OK and the drivers are used to seeing it. All other states, no. They are neither used to it nor like seeing it done. In stinking hot weather when there were hold ups up ahead, I'd do it briefly but was invariably accompanied by the tooting of car/truck horns. I also was warned about drivers deliberately opening their car doors to either prevent me passing or knock me off. Yes, every single motorcyclist here in the UK does it and it's acceptable (at a reasonable slow speed) but in the US, they are neither used to it so it can be dangerous.

In 2002 I was riding in the desert in Arizona and came across a queue (US = line) of traffic up ahead stopped at temporary traffic lights. Because of good forward vision I could see that there was a hefty space between the leading truck and the vehicle behind so I bimbled (5mph) ultra-carefully up the white line and pulled in behind No1. I was then a bit surprised to hear a loud hailer "You on the motor sickle, move over!" Behind me was a Highway Patrolman. Well we pulled over and this little feller got out. I'm a mere 5ft8in and he was shorter than me. There then began an amusing conversation -

Officer - "What do you think you were doing?"
Me - "Doing what?"
Officer - "Riding to the front".
Me - "Well why not? There was a big gap between the two front vehicles?"
Officer - "Because it's dangerous. There could have been oncoming traffic".
Me - "But the road is as wide as an airport runway, I can clearly see ahead for miles, there is no oncoming traffic and we are in the middle of a desert. My 19yr old niece is on the back of our bike and I am a British Police Traffic Motorcyclist so ride properly".
Officer - "Don't you think all these people in cars might be pissed (English = pissed off) at you riding to the front?"

At this point I looked at all of the overweight and cool people in stopped airconditioned cars drinking from beakers of cold Coke as the sweat slowly dripped down my back. Clearly logic wasn't going to win the day here. I apologised and agreed to abide by their laws. Did it make sense? Well I didn't get a ticket so I got off but it didn't make sense then nor to this day.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #82
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Please allow me to give my viewpoint on the subject of filtering (US = lane splitting). In 2002 and 2006 I rode from West Coast to East Coast and then East-to-West-to-East Coasts the first trip in six weeks and the second in three months so as an English rider have experienced US driving habits. Yes, filtering in California is OK and the drivers are used to seeing it. All other states, no. They are neither used to it nor like seeing it done. In stinking hot weather when there were hold ups up ahead, I'd do it briefly but was invariably accompanied by the tooting of car/truck horns. I also was warned about drivers deliberately opening their car doors to either prevent me passing or knock me off. Yes, every single motorcyclist here in the UK does it and it's acceptable (at a reasonable slow speed) but in the US, they are neither used to it so it can be dangerous.

In 2002 I was riding in the desert in Arizona and came across a queue (US = line) of traffic up ahead stopped at temporary traffic lights. Because of good forward vision I could see that there was a hefty space between the leading truck and the vehicle behind so I bimbled (5mph) ultra-carefully up the white line and pulled in behind No1. I was then a bit surprised to hear a loud hailer "You on the motor sickle, move over!" Behind me was a Highway Patrolman. Well we pulled over and this little feller got out. I'm a mere 5ft8in and he was shorter than me. There then began an amusing conversation -

Officer - "What do you think you were doing?"
Me - "Doing what?"
Officer - "Riding to the front".
Me - "Well why not? There was a big gap between the two front vehicles?"
Officer - "Because it's dangerous. There could have been oncoming traffic".
Me - "But the road is as wide as an airport runway, I can clearly see ahead for miles, there is no oncoming traffic and we are in the middle of a desert. My 19yr old niece is on the back of our bike and I am a British Police Traffic Motorcyclist so ride properly".
Officer - "Don't you think all these people in cars might be pissed (English = pissed off) at you riding to the front?"

At this point I looked at all of the overweight and cool people in stopped airconditioned cars drinking from beakers of cold Coke as the sweat slowly dripped down my back. Clearly logic wasn't going to win the day here. I apologised and agreed to abide by their laws. Did it make sense? Well I didn't get a ticket so I got off but it didn't make sense then nor to this day.
Welcome to the land of "ME FIRST!" Thanks for sharing -- I hope you had an excellent trip otherwise.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #83
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Rider View Post
To the best of my knowledge, lanesplitting or if you prefer filtering, is not legal in all 50 states.
In California, lanesplitting is not addressed in the traffic code and is considered by many "not illegal"
While it may be not legal and not illegal, it is still a stupid practice.
Congrats. In a thread full of ignorant posts you have taken the cake with yours.

From the CHP website:

Quote:
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

From the NHTSA website:

Quote:
A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #84
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Lucifer

Yes, my solo 2006 17,000 trip was the greatest long ride I've ever done and the three month journey was utterly fabulous. I met some excellent people and visited all of those places I missed during my brief 2002 trip. Riding my trusty ST1100 I found the rear wheel bearings and rear tyre (only 7000 miles from new) needed changing by the time I got to Tucson AZ. A few of the places I rode to - Blue Ridge Parkway, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Zion, Bryce, Mount Evans, Pike's Peak, North Rim of GC, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, San Diego, Tucson, Tombstone, San Antonio, Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Washington DC and NY. I loved almost every minute of it and will return one day as there are still some places I want to visit, and perhaps try Canoodia as well. The US is my favourite country, well it's fifty seperate countries each with it's own laws, and that takes some getting used to.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #85
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Lucifer

Yes, my solo 2006 17,000 trip was the greatest long ride I've ever done and the three month journey was utterly fabulous. I met some excellent people and visited all of those places I missed during my brief 2002 trip. Riding my trusty ST1100 I found the rear wheel bearings and rear tyre (only 7000 miles from new) needed changing by the time I got to Tucson AZ. A few of the places I rode to - Blue Ridge Parkway, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Zion, Bryce, Mount Evans, Pike's Peak, North Rim of GC, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, San Diego, Tucson, Tombstone, San Antonio, Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Washington DC and NY. I loved almost every minute of it and will return one day as there are still some places I want to visit, and perhaps try Canoodia as well. The US is my favourite country, well it's fifty seperate countries each with it's own laws, and that takes some getting used to.

Did you ever post a RR?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #86
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 671
Cool2 Californicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
I always found that SoCal drivers were fast, professional, and no-nonsense. I loved riding there. It's the only place I've seen where no one tries to jump the line where two lanes merge. It's very orderly. It may be in part to the "armed populace is a polite populace" mindset, but it worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
I went to California last spring and found the same. If you were going faster than they were, they got out of your way. If you passed them (double yellow or not), they seemed to assume that you just wanted to go faster than them and didn't care. If it wasn't safe for you to pass and they thought you wanted to go faster THEY ACTUALLY PULLED OFF QUICKLY SO YOU COULD PASS THEM. There was no politeness involved, it seemed. It was just a purely a rational form of roadcraft. It was a pretty eye opening experience. To all those Californians, thanks. You have a great state with great drivers, and I'm going to visit again.

That was my experience as well, both riding through the state a couple of times, and during a year's stay in San Raphael.

Great folks, great drivers, pretty relaxed, pretty tolerant on and off the road.

I'd live there again.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #87
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
I went to California last spring and found the same. If you were going faster than they were, they got out of your way. If you passed them (double yellow or not), they seemed to assume that you just wanted to go faster than them and didn't care. If it wasn't safe for you to pass and they thought you wanted to go faster THEY ACTUALLY PULLED OFF QUICKLY SO YOU COULD PASS THEM. There was no politeness involved, it seemed. It was just a purely a rational form of roadcraft. It was a pretty eye opening experience. To all those Californians, thanks. You have a great state with great drivers, and I'm going to visit again.
Yeah I think Californian driving is quite ok.

California and a limited amount in OR and WA are the only places I've driven in the US. The descriptions of US driving in other states give me the heebie geebies.
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #88
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Lucifer

A rider's report. Well I'm just starting one so go and have a peak at the pictures.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #89
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Lucifer

A rider's report? Well I'm just starting one so go and have a peak at the pictures.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #90
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
5 years of commuting year round north Scottsdale to Gilbert I never saw a single person lane splitting.
You missed it then. I've done it there.

...just like in NoVA you can't do it CA-style. Hop a few cars. Stop. Hop a few cars. Stop.

I even had one 'individual of questionable intelligence' try and tell me 'this ain't CA!' Umm yeah? And?! What's that got to do with me roasting in this heat?!

M