User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
realpsi OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Around Florida

I thought I would make my first post and post up some pictures of the town I grew up in; Welaka, Fl. My sister just bought a spyder and is down visiting for a few days. we have not yet ridden together. Today that will change. It is Christmas day and she made an invite yesterday for a ride so I thought its not often I get to ride with family lets do this. On the way down I thought the small town I grew up in and the surrounding area would make a great place to highlight and take some pictures.

I go through a lot of small towns and do most my riding on county roads. I visit the old North, Central, and West Floirda areas. I am within 2 hours of Cedar Key, St Augustine, Fernandina, Gainesville, Daytona, Flagler beach and the Ocala national forest. Most the time when I am out I do not think to take pictures because "I'm riding" and to me where I ride is normal.

I will update this thread as I ride and get out on more adventures.

So here are a few pictures from today:

The town sign. This is new and was not here when I was a boy. This was taken in front of the city government building.

This picture was taken right off the county road and looking towards the river. There is a park just ahead on the left. I spent many hours and days playing there as a kid.

The park, nothing like it used to look, but the same trees are still there.

This pictures brings back many memories. Today I think it is a custom boat builder/repair facility. When I was a kid it was known as "Margie's Cafe" my grandma ran it and I still get told today "It was the best place around for a hamburger." I remember as a kid watching for certain customers to visit because I knew if they were there I would get a free Coke or Pepsi when I went in. Miss you Grandma.

This was taken from the top of the city boat ramp. I ran into a local from town here who hadn't seen me since I was a kid. I spent a few minutes catching up with him and just doing some small talk.

View from the city dock

Another

The obligatory bike shot. I am still at the boat ramp and right outside what was my Grandma's cafe. The car in the background had cyclist from New Jersey.

This road runs along the river. I guess you could say the rich live along this road.

So here is my sis and I after a ride and back at my parents house.

More stories and pictures to come as I continue to ride.
realpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 87
Great photos. I just rode thru Welaka a couple of days ago. Ok a week ago. Whatever. Its part of a nice 90 mile loop I do from my house in Palm Coast. Thanks for the photo tour.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,874
Welcome aboard! Great pics - good to see a fair amount of what was "old Florida" still resembles its former self up that way.

When you get a chance, check out Regional Forums/The Sandbox for FL stuff. Your location makes you a potential player in both North & Central FL Tag-O-Rama games. (the FL game has divided into three agreed upon zones because of the length of the peninsula.) Its a good excuse to get out and ride new places and take a picture or two.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote