Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
anyone know anything about old BMW seven series?

It's an 88 750il to be exact. It's my dads and has been parked for about a year and a half.
It's issues are as follows:
1) it was parked because of some sort of running issue my dad says it started but then the engine kind of just revved but didn't quite engage or something of the sorts. I understand that this particular issue is not easy to diagnose from far away but just mentioning it.
2)all four window motors don't work. This a big issue as the ac also doesn't work. Is there an aftermarket motor that world be cheaper than the overpriced BMW OEM?
3) the ac doesn't work. I would probably fix the windows so its at least drivable first but what's the point of a luxury cat without climate control? Is this ac unit at all serviceable?

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated and anyone in the Austin area who wanted to drop by with and take alook is of course welcome beverages and snacks would of course be provided.
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,586
Run away! Those cars don't age well.

If the windows failed all at once it's the General Module under the rear seat on the passenger side. Depending on the mileage, the transmission could be/is crapped out. Trans rebuilt here in S.F. is about $4k installed. Your area may vary.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I was afraid that might be the case. Well I'll see if I can get the windows going and see what'll make it run. If it's not the transmission and it doesn't cost too much to get her purring then I have a pretty much free car.
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,387
mexipike,

You don't have much experience fixing automobiles or bikes do you? A BMW 7 Series is not for a novice. "Run away" means it is a money pit. And you are probably not going to get much help on a motorcycle forum. Did you know that BMW made motorcycles? It's true, they have made motorcycles since 1923, much longer than cars. This is a forum about fixing the motorcycles.

There is a separate forum for cars at Adventure Rider. You might find some help there;
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Good luck with it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Run away! Those cars don't age well.

If the windows failed all at once it's the General Module under the rear seat on the passenger side. Depending on the mileage, the transmission could be/is crapped out. Trans rebuilt here in S.F. is about $4k installed. Your area may vary.
Run away, rob THREE banks, bring back dumptruck loads of money, lol. I remember my friend peeling out $3000 for an AFTERMARKET ANSA cat-back replacement exhaust system, because it half the cost of OEM! Brakes?Suspension? CHA-CHING!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,428
I'll also say RUN AWAY! go find a nice 2002 instead and drive the wheels off it.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 362
That V12 is an expensive engine to maintain. Basically 2 6-cylinder engine bolted together. A computer (ECU) for each bank & then another to tie them together. At least that's how it works on the 850, same engine. Once these cars sit for awhile it takes some work to bring them back. Bimmers don't take well just sitting.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,640
BMW quit building good cars after the 320 and 530 cars were introduced in the late '70's. The 2002 (et al) were world-class 4-cylinder sports sedans and the Bavaria (et al) were world class 6-cylinder luxury sedans. After taht the cars morphed into over-priced, over-teched yuppie status symbols. Rather like BMW transitioning from the Airheads through the K-bikes to the Oilheads, HexHeads two cylinder vertical twins and the recent CBX-clone. Absolutely bonkers.

Put the 7-Series on Craigslist and wait for someone with more money than sense to dawdle along.

My 2c, of course.

--Bill
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disston
Did you know that BMW made motorcycles? It's true, they have made motorcycles since 1923, much longer than cars.
"Dang, I didn't know they made cars". (giggle)

Seriously, they have been making cars as long as motorcycles:

The Dixi (1928):

The Wartburg (1930):

The 328 (1936):

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:04 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post

Seriously, they have been making cars as long as motorcycles:

The Dixi:

The Wartburg:

The 328:

--Bill
Hey, Thanks Bill,

I thought the bikes were it for many years. Maybe it's all I ever hear of. I've never seen those pics. Cool. They may not of been much easier to drive than the bikes of that era.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:

Seriously, they have been making cars ALMOST as long as motorcycles:
Fixt.

They did make motorcycles first.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
NC BMW Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
An old 7 series doesn't have to be a money pit. The place to ask questions about them is not here however.

Try:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=299
or:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/page/0

I have a '91 735IL and it has been a great car in the 5 years I've owned it. There are many on the above boards that can help you with your issues.

Don't give up on the car. It's a good one.
NC BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Hey, Thanks Bill,

I thought the bikes were it for many years. Maybe it's all I ever hear of.
Good thing you were so quick to respond to the original poster with a smart-ass comment before having your own facts straight!

I kid, I kid.....

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
BMW quit building good cars after the 320 and 530 cars were introduced in the late '70's. The 2002 (et al) were world-class 4-cylinder sports sedans and the Bavaria (et al) were world class 6-cylinder luxury sedans. After taht the cars morphed into over-priced, over-teched yuppie status symbols. Rather like BMW transitioning from the Airheads through the K-bikes to the Oilheads, HexHeads two cylinder vertical twins and the recent CBX-clone. Absolutely bonkers.

Put the 7-Series on Craigslist and wait for someone with more money than sense to dawdle along.

My 2c, of course.

--Bill
I agree with you mostly, but the E30 chassis too, was a very good, serviceable car. After that time period, BMW, like the rest of the car industry began a downward spiral of over-tech. Great cars to drive for about ten years, but then if anything of substance goes wrong, the car is not worth fixing, due to super high parts pricing, and the enormous amount of labor in working on these complex beasts. I don't think BMW is any more guilty of this than any other manufacturer.

My wife had a VW Eurovan for awhile, the later one with a VR6 engine. It was really a wonderful vehicle to drive, and road trip in. We got out of it though in less than a year, because it was such a nightmare to keep going. The worst thing that came up was replacing fuel injectors. One went bad, causing a miss, so I set about replacing it. One injector, $250! You would not believe how much shit had to come off of that engine to get to the injectors. Just totally ridiculous. Took me about a whole day's work to do it. Because the injectors were so bloody expensive, I only did the one. Guess what happened a month later. Another injector. I fixed it, and we sold it immediately.

Anyhow, I think one would be insane to buy an 88 750i with electrical problems. That is a car that could just totally eat a person up.

I personally believe that there will never again be a car that even approaches the old 2002. I had about half a dozen of them, including a very nice 72 Tii, Why on earth did I ever sell that car? No idea.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Run away, run away!

I work on imports for a living and I would have to think really hard about accepting a 750 for free with everythng functional. A 740 I would take but that is a whole different animal. Bimmers don't age well sometime and the more complex they are, the worse they fare.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote