ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
thump_co OP
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,017
NM Trip - this weekend (NM'ers feedback please)

It seems mother nature has decided that 5MoH is not happening this week. Looking at NM as an alternative and trying to take off tomorrow afternoon so planning time is short. Planning to ride full days on Friday, Sat and Sun. Only 2 or 3 of us heading down.. and hopefully VxZ will be meeting up.

I've not ridden NM before, but here's what I've scraped together so far:
* Alcalde (near Espanola I think)
* Buckman (near Santa Fe)
* Widowmaker (and surrounding area?)

Thoughts? Alternatives? Fast/flowy terrain good, technical even better. Would like to get in at least 50 mi/day.

Would also welcome lodging suggestions for a few dirty dirtbikers.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
I was shown some flowy dez riding near alb at rainbow road, but checking out the other stuff could be cool too.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,546
I'm sure the Mola's would take you out on some great single track, if you decide to go to Rainbow or Southern. Prime time for riding in that area.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 488
Storms may hit Northern NM (possible measurable snow) thus shoot for "Southern" west of Rio Rancho. Plenty of lodging in Rio Rancho too from Motel 6 types on up. You might reach out to Ridefreek and see if he's around this weekend.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I'm sure the Mola's would take you out on some great single track, if you decide to go to Rainbow or Southern. Prime time for riding in that area.
Mola's?

I've heard about Rainbow and Southern. Are these both near ABQ? It looks like highs near 40's down there this weekend. Downright balmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Storms may hit Northern NM (possible measurable snow) thus shoot for "Southern" west of Rio Rancho. Plenty of lodging in Rio Rancho too from Motel 6 types on up. You might reach out to Ridefreek and see if he's around this weekend.
I'm in the process of bugging the Freak via PM as I type this.. Hopefully he'll give me a call (nudge, nudge).

Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Southern and Rainbow are both near Rio Rancho (north edge of Albuquerque). Some parts are referred to as the west mesa. Fair amount of desert singletrack. Check Ridefreaks sig line for links to his videos of the area along with others.

Buckman BLM is west of Santa Fe and east of the Rio Grande.

Alcalde is north of Espanola, more BLM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Mola's?

I've heard about Rainbow and Southern. Are these both near ABQ? It looks like highs near 40's down there this weekend. Downright balmy.

I'm in the process of bugging the Freak via PM as I type this.. Hopefully he'll give me a call (nudge, nudge).
Yep, both close to Abq. Might also try Dirtdad, I think he knows these areas as well. Enjoy but not too much Carne adovada the night before or you'll need to pack some TP for the ride...
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,166
twig speaks da truth.......watch out for the carne apodaca----

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
thump_co OP
..ouch

Thanks. Help me out with a 3 day ride sched please. Which areas would you guys suggest we prioritize?

Any good maps, directions, etc? Or just get to the trailhead and explore from there?

I'll gladly buy beer in return for trailguide services.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Based on weather forecast I'd say the Southern / Rainbow area. Now if no measurable snowfall up North you could hit Alcalde on way back to Co. Buckman is nice but no 50 mile loop there unless you run some sections in reverse.

I don't know the Albuquerque riding areas well at all but the other two up North are pretty easy to find your way around and back to parking areas. If riding up North I'd recommend staying in Santa fe as opposed to Espanola. More lodging choices here fer sure...Regardless of where you stay, secure your belongings. Tis the season for thefts......
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,547
Just read this. +1, on what everyone said. I would recomend Southern (Rio Puerco) at this time. The riding has been pretty good out there. Ground has a little bit of moisture. Man, I am heading off to Chama for the weekend with family, otherwise I would love to show you around. I am sure someone will be able to show you guys around. We always enjoy showing the CO riders around in the winter out here.

We showed VxZeroKnots some desert single track at Rainbow last year I believe. Either Southern or Rainbow, are
good for 50 mile loops. I would recomend Southern, just because there is a little more diverse terrian, and you can
find some more technical stuff at Southern. Don't know of any maps of these areas. There are trails pretty much everywhere out there.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
thump_co OP
..ouch

Sounds like the Alcalde stuff is already a bit snowy.

So.. 2 days around Southern/Rainbow potentially followed by Buckman on Sunday (weather depending)?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Mola's?

Ha the Molas. I'll ping Garrett.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Just read this. +1, on what everyone said. I would recomend Southern (Rio Puerco) at this time. The riding has been pretty good out there. Ground has a little bit of moisture. Man, I am heading off to Chama for the weekend with family, otherwise I would love to show you around. I am sure someone will be able to show you guys around. We always enjoy showing the CO riders around in the winter out here.

We showed VxZeroKnots some desert single track at Rainbow last year I believe. Either Southern or Rainbow, are
good for 50 mile loops. I would recomend Southern, just because there is a little more diverse terrian, and you can
find some more technical stuff at Southern. Don't know of any maps of these areas. There are trails pretty much everywhere out there.
yeah it was Rainbow I was thinking of. Not so sure I could recreate that loop we did but I'm pretty sure it was around 45ish miles we rode.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Ha the Molas. I'll ping Garrett.
Garret and his dad, Monte (who have chased for and raced with me in Baja for the last few years), ride Southern and Rainbow three times a week. They ride with a fast group of riders, you will enjoy the company.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote