Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,873
.44 or .454?...

I have come to the conclusion that I am unable to keep a .357. Every one, that I have ever owned, I have given to someone who needed it more than I.

So, I am looking for another nice revolver. However, this time, I have opted to step-up into the 40 caliber (big bore) arena.

I want a do-it-all pistol: one that I can stick in the truck, or under the seat of the Super Tenere. I want a pistol that I can take into the Texas Hill Country, or out to check on my Dad's place, that will stop man or beast equally as easy.

I am a huge fan of Ruger revolvers (their autos, not so much). I have owned a few (of their revolvers), and feel that they are built like tanks.

Anyhoo, the Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan" has had my eye, for quite some time...

My quandry is this: Which one to buy.

They make it in .454 Casull (probably wayyyy overkill), and .44 Mag.

If you were buying one of these pistols, which would you buy?...and why?

Practicality tells me that I can buy .44 ammo just about anywhere, and can load the .44 with "Specials", if I wish.

However, the show-off in me knows that the first person, that I show the .44 to, will say something like, "Oh, it's the .44. Why didn't you get the .454?"

Revolver guys chime-in, please...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
I'd get a colt 1917
.45 acp
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
I'd get a colt 1917
.45 acp

I've got a 1911 tucked in every fuckin' nook and cranny of my house. I found a long-lost one, the other day, in one of my toolboxes. So, I'm good on the .45 ACPs.

I was looking for something that would stop a big feral hog, or other big animal, if need-be.

***This is one of the reasons why I love ADV so much. A guy asks, "Which tire would you use: the Shinko 244 or Kenda 270?" And, inevitably, the first post will be, "Why don't you try the Dunlop 606?"... ***

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
pmacb
Junior

Oddometer: 186
If I remember right, and you should double check before putting down any of your hard earned money, that you can shoot 45 Long Colts in a 454 revolver. My recollection is that in the articles on the then new S&W 460s it was mentioned that the gun would take the 45LCs, 454s and the 460 rounds which should give the 45 LCs and 454s the same relationship as the 38Spl/357Mag and the 44Spl/44Mag.

pmacb

"When a carnie looks at you and shakes his toothless tattooed head in disgust, you know you've made some bad choices in life." WaterWheel
pmacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
longdude17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Get the .454....While I love the 44mag (and trust me you can do some impressive things with custom handloads) I always wished I had a .454. Either one will do what you want and both pack plenty enough power to persuade any attacker. The 44 ammo is easier to find and cheaper in my part of the country, but the 454 has more of a awe factor.

End the end, choose whats best for you and what feels the best. Heck I just picked up a ruger 45 colt because it "just felt right".
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacb View Post
If I remember right, and you should double check before putting down any of your hard earned money, that you can shoot 45 Long Colts in a 454 revolver...

pmacb

I believe you are absolutely correct. And, I had forgotten about that.

That would work-out pretty good for me. After all, I've got a 94 in .45LC

Thanks for the post...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I believe you are absolutely correct. And, I had forgotten about that.

That would work-out pretty good for me. After all, I've got a 94 in .45LC

Thanks for the post...

Following that one more step - a .454 chamber should also take a .410 shotshell? Or rather, how long is the .454 chamber? More than 3"?

There are several rifles Rossi etc. that do .45 LC/.410 - seems like a .410/.454/.45 LC would be quite the handgun or break action
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
I've heard the Taurus .44 tracker is a nice gun and will stop Hogzilla if needed
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacb View Post
If I remember right, and you should double check before putting down any of your hard earned money, that you can shoot 45 Long Colts in a 454 revolver. My recollection is that in the articles on the then new S&W 460s it was mentioned that the gun would take the 45LCs, 454s and the 460 rounds which should give the 45 LCs and 454s the same relationship as the 38Spl/357Mag and the 44Spl/44Mag.

pmacb
This ^^

I like the .44 Magnum as it is more common and popular than the .454 (not as powerful though), but the .445 Super Magnum, the next step up and can shoot the .44 Magnum, is not near as popular the .454 and you should be able to shoot the .45 LC in the .454/.460. So if you truly want a very powerful handgun then the .460 seems to be the ticket.

Also, the one chambering I would consider owning in a rifle (I always say if you carry a rifle, carry it chambered for a rifle cartridge) would be the .454.

Personally, I like the .44 Mag in a lightweight revolver - I don't like big heavy handguns. But different strokes for different folks.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I've heard the Taurus .44 tracker is a nice gun and will stop Hogzilla if needed
They have a short cylinder and won't take long heavy loads like the S&W or Ruger will. Also, I own a Taurus Tracker in .357 and would never consider it for dangerous game or self-defense; mine has a very tight cylinder gap and it locked up after 50 rounds the first time I shot it. Taurus makes some decent quality guns, but their quality control on things like cylinder gap is known to be hit or miss. That is why I bought a S&W 329PD instead of the Taurus Ultralite when I bought a .44 Mag for a "bear gun".
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,289
Quote:
I've got a 1911 tucked in every fuckin' nook and cranny of my house. .
"I've got a trunk full of guns and I'm not safe!"

Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
I'll chime in here since I have owned both.

44 Mag: Had this in a S&W 629. Very very well balanced pistol with a 6" Barrel. Locked up solid and never had a problem with it. Pussycat in 44 Special and packed a good punch in 44 Mag. Could run 50 rds of 44 Mag in a session without a problem.

Can't really think of any downsides to this combination. And in a Ruger revolver I can imagine it would be very close to the same opinion.

454: It's big, it's manly, it will make you feel like a shooting God when you touch off one of those howitzer like cartridges in a Taurus Raging Bull. And then after about your 5th round you think, damn, my wrist really does hurt. And I just spent $5....it's a lil over a dollar a shot last time I checked. Touch off 5 more rounds....ya this isn't much fun anymore. And I just spent $10.

So I loaded up some 45 LC....Oh hell yes! Nice, shoot all day recoil. Enough authority at the target to take down anything still and cheap-ish to shoot.

So that is where my revolver quest led me. Sold off the Taurus and got a dedicated 45LC and have never ever missed the 454.

Of course if you get a 460 for the "impress the guys at the range factor" You know the first one that sees it will ask why you didn't get a 500. So there is no winning that battle.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
...Personally, I like the .44 Mag in a lightweight revolver - I don't like big heavy handguns. But different strokes for different folks.

Interesting you should mention this. ^^^

The S&W "Nite Guard" .44 Mag was also in the runnin', early on...

The thing I prefer about the Smith is the size and weight. The Alaskan is one big MoFo...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
...Of course if you get a 460 for the "impress the guys at the range factor" You know the first one that sees it will ask why you didn't get a 500. So there is no winning that battle.

True, so true...

Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that I am unable to keep a .357. Every one, that I have ever owned, I have given to someone who needed it more than I.

So, I am looking for another nice revolver. However, this time, I have opted to step-up into the 40 caliber (big bore) arena.

I want a do-it-all pistol: one that I can stick in the truck, or under the seat of the Super Tenere. I want a pistol that I can take into the Texas Hill Country, or out to check on my Dad's place, that will stop man or beast equally as easy.

I am a huge fan of Ruger revolvers (their autos, not so much). I have owned a few (of their revolvers), and feel that they are built like tanks.

Anyhoo, the Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan" has had my eye, for quite some time...

Do they make this in the .500 Alaskan caliber?

That is what I would get if available.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: