User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,532
I'd like to get on the list for one of those free .357's you're giving away. I'll even swing down and pick it up.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,151
Currently, I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 mag. I can shoot that all day without issue, and that with hot 300 grain loads. I also have a Taurus 357 revolver 6" in Titanium that has a bit of sting to it. My brother has a Ruger Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel in 44 mag.

I've shot a couple Freedom Arms (I like single action wheel guns) 454's. While manageable, it was not enjoyable. Those same revolvers loaded with hot 45's can do anything a 44 magnum will do with less recoil and similar accuracy.

I would vote 454 Casull, stuffed with a 45 Colt heavy load from Cor-bon or Buffalo Bore.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
I shoot my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag w/11 grains Unique pushing a 240 grain SJHP along at a good clip. Nice controllable load with enough punch and not painful to shoot.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,856
I don't know how the Alaskan stacks up against the Super Blackhawk strength-wise, but the 45 Colt can be pushed pretty impressively if you're into handloading. Look up some of Ross Seyfried's articles in Handloader magazine relating to the subject and his hunting Cape Buffalo with a SA revolver.

One of my favorite lines ever was spoken by a guide he was with on a hunt where a buff was preparing to charge:

"Shoot well, Senior, he's coming."
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Go for!

Your Ruger in 454. You can shoot 45LC all day long and save the 454 cartridges for Bear carry only. Touch a couple off a month just for kicks and practice. Then play with 45LC.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,680
My vote....Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
I like this vote. Regardless of which brand gun you get I would vote for the .44 Magnum. I have had a Freedom Arms .454 on and off my wish list (off the list for now). My brother had a .41 Magnum at one time that was alot of fun to shoot but expensive to feed, as a result, I tend to favor the more popular rounds because I know they will be cheaper to shoot but still very enjoyable.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
Yes, a 629 with a 4" barrel.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,151
629's are too skinny and don't feel right.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
629's are too skinny and don't feel right.
Rugers are fat and ugly.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
If you're going to be "hunting" with the thing, don't you need a 4" barrel down there in Texas?

I'd go with the .44 Mag / .44 Special. Look at the 4.2" Redhawk.

I've always thought the Super Redhawk snub guns were kind of silly...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
I have an old 3 screw Super Blackhawk in 44. I love that caliber and want to complement this with a Redhawk.

Either of these calibers are extremely versatile if you handload. I make 240 grain lead SWC loads with 8 grains of Clays and they are nice, easy, thudding rounds that would still stop about anything that needs stopping. About 850 fps I think.

10 or 11 grains of Unique or Clays like mentioned above are a nice firm load that feels magnum-ish without being punishing, going around 1200 fps from my 7.5" barrel.

Full power 44 magnum loads, while looking wimpy in the paper stats he-man comparison, can do about anything you want. I shot a deer with one, 240 grain jacketed soft point, from about 20 yards. It left a hole you could throw a cat through and it was down right now.

I do like the .454 idea for the versatility of hand loaded 45 LC, and the ability to shoot the big ones if needed. But for that kind of handgun I'd be getting a Super Red Hawk 8" or something, a heavy enough gun to not kill me to shoot it, and to take advantage of a round that I can kill a mule deer at 150 yards with. But the whole super power hand cannon thing appeals less to me as I get older, 44 mags make enough smoke and noise to please me.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
After tallying SR's vote (if I did it right), the current vote stands at seven to seven (seven for the .454, seven for the .44).

Personally, I find a lotta' humor in that, because it seems that I have had some trouble with the decision; So much so, that I had forgotten about the .454 being able to shoot the 45LCs. If the posts are that evenly stacked, it just means that I'm not mentally ill.

You guys keep it comin'; I'm enjoying all the posts, and differing opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I've heard the Taurus .44 tracker is a nice gun and will stop Hogzilla if needed

Despite the fact that I LOVE some of their new designs, Taurus is out, for me. As someone mentioned, they make great stuff (sometimes). But, their consistency leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I'd like to get on the list for one of those free .357's you're giving away. I'll even swing down and pick it up.

You should definitely get-in on that deal.

The last one went to my best friend, who developed a mistrust in the Sig 9MM that I gave her, after it failed to go "bang" when she touched the fun button.

Forget the fact that the ammo, in her Sig, was older than dirt. It was just much easier for her to train her eyes on my brand-new 3" fixed-sight GP100 (stainless): a gun that they originally made for the USMS, and one that I had waited for years to be available to the general public.

If I buy another .357, just stand around long enough. It will eventually be yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
...I'd go with the .44 Mag / .44 Special. Look at the 4.2" Redhawk...

It's funny you mention that. The standard Redhawk was also in the runnin', early on...

Despite the fact that the Alaskan is not anorexic, the size of the standard Redhawk (with the 4.2" barrel), was one of my concerns...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
I picked up a Taraus Raging Judge that is chambered for the .454
Love it. Yea, it is a little large, call it my Roger Rabbit gun.
But the versitility of it is great. I can keep a couple rounds of bird shot in it for a snake pistol, Have a day of easy fun shooting .45 long colt "cowboy" rounds. Toss in a random .454 to work on my flinch. If expecting something bad, just fill it up with 454s. Personally I get tired of shooting .454s after a dozen rounds or so. But everyone loves shooting that hand cannon with the long colts.

Being chambered for .454 is about as universal of a chamber as you can ask for. Now if you can find a gun the size you like, that is your problem.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Fun thread. I doubt that there's a perfect answer, but I'll comment on the junk in my safe.

Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag, 8" barrel: My old IHMSA revolver. Too danged big and heavy. Love the old beast, though. Cartridge is .2" longer than .454 so even w/ a shorter barrel, the frame would probably be longer. And availability is not good.

Freedom Arms .454 Casull, 4-3/4" barrel: Perfect hunting handgun. Light enough for the belt, heavy enough to attenuate recoil. FA advises to NOT shoot .45 Colt in its cylinder. Very expensive to bang around on a bike and I'd prefer double-action for any type of defense encounter.

S&W Mountain Gun, .45 Colt: Light weight, stainless, big bore. Can't be hot rodded to Casull levels, but 300 grain bullets at 1000 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Might be approaching perfection. One in .44 Mag might do it, too.

S&W M29, .44 Magnum, nickel, 4": Heavier than the Mountain, but still not bad. Most varied ammo(e) availability. Not bad.

S&W M24, .44 Spl., nickel 3": Wonderful weight for carry and shooting. Compact for a big bore. Ammo availability is mostly crappy cowboy loads, but near 1000 FPS with 250-grain cast loads are possible (hog medicine?). Good hollow point defense loads also available. A serious candidate, but I'd probably lean toward one of the other Smiths.

Sorry, never been a fan of Ruger revolvers. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good fun.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: