Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 249
Redhawk 45 Colt

It's a handful with hot "Ruger only" loads. Same load through my Bisley Blackhawk is much easier to take.

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Interesting you should mention this. ^^^

The S&W "Nite Guard" .44 Mag was also in the runnin', early on...

The thing I prefer about the Smith is the size and weight. The Alaskan is one big MoFo...

If you are thinking about the lightweight magnums, I strongly recommend you first shoot one with the strongest load you anticipate carrying before buying one. I own this:

S&W 329PD in .44 Mag

The recoil is significant, especially with heavy loads (I shot it with 325 grain bear loads and it was not fun - i.e., it HURT!). Even with standard loads or lighter loads the recoil is not particularly fun (my SIL enjoys it, but I don't).

I shot it first with the bear load, then with std 240 grain Mag loads then with 240 gr .44 Special loads. None of those loads were particularly fun for me. I've got some 200 Winchester Silvertip .44 Special defensive loads that I am going to try next, but even when I get it ported it probably won't be fun to shoot with anything except very light loads with light bullets.

But then plinking or target shooting is not what I bought it for. Any of these lightweight magnums are for carrying when you wouldn't otherwise carry because of the weight/bulk. So they will typically be shot enough to ensure they work and that the shooter can be effective with them, and then they will be carried and not shot except in an emergency or other rare circumstance.

That is okay with me, I have other handguns I like to shoot - personally I prefer plinking with a .22 rimfire of some sort and just shooting the larger handguns enough to know that I can still be effective enough to use them - which I probably never will need to.

I also have this:

Between the grips and the porting this is actually a sweet gun to shoot. It just isn't dependable for self-defense. I could probably have a good gunsmith make it dependable though and someday I probably will (first I have some guns I have even shot).

I doubt I would ever need a .44 Mag, as I no longer live anywhere near a brown bear (there are a few in WA state), and the whole "bear defense gun" thing is overblown (bears rarely attack humans - more people are hurt or killed by moose than by bear)

But I believe it is a more versatile cartridge than the .357 Mag and I can always load it down. I am hoping the 200 grain loads will be much more manageable, and that porting will help. The 200 gr .44 special at about 1000 fps is quite effective on anything I would need to use it against. I wouldn't be hunting with it although after I retire I would like to do some hog hunting and use the gun with heavy loads as a backup for a rifle - in that role it might actually get used.
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 09:32 AM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #33
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I've shot a couple Freedom Arms (I like single action wheel guns) 454's. While manageable, it was not enjoyable. Those same revolvers loaded with hot 45's can do anything a 44 magnum will do with less recoil and similar accuracy.
Yes, if you are careful about the ammo or if you are reloading about the brass used and so on. I wouldn't use just any brass I picked up off the range.

If a person was willing to pack the weight, then I would go for the .460 or the .454 to have the option of carrying more power in those situations where it would be needed. I carried a .44 mag in the bush in Alaska, and that was all I carried, and I felt a bit under-gunned when I met a park ranger on the Kenai carrying a rifle in .458 Win. Magnum that was looking for some overdue hikers.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
spook120
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
S&W 4" 500 S&W magnum. Problem solved.
spook120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
If you are thinking about the lightweight magnums, I strongly recommend you first shoot one with the strongest load you anticipate carrying before buying one...

I hear you; Trust me.

'Round about 2008, I had something happen (here in the States) that scared me so bad that I had trouble getting food into my mouth (trembling), for about six months. One of the first Neuros (former Military Doctor), who saw me, immediately picked-it-off as PTSD.

Then, 'round about 2010, I had a pretty good spill, offroad. I earned some broken ribs, and my second concussion.

So, needless to say, my neuro/motor skills are not what they once were.

Don't get me wrong; I still enjoy all my hobbies: motorcycling, shooting, etc. But, I try to take it a little easier than before.

That being posted, I really don't have the pain tolerance that I once had. And, like you (and SR), shooting the whole "hand cannon" thing (on a regular basis) doesn't really put a lotta' happy in my pocket, like it once did.

Therefore, I want something that I can load to the moon, if need-be (.44 Mag, .454, etc.). But, I'd also like to play-around with it, too (.44 Specials, .45LC "cowboy" loads, etc.)...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #36
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

I typically don't mind recoil in handguns near as much as in a rifle (I screwed up my shoulder as a kid and it doesn't tolerate rifle recoil very well), but I think in the last decade, between carpal tunnel and other signs of getting old, I just don't tolerate handgun recoil as much as I used to.

Of course light guns can be real monsters when it comes to recoil too. I once had a Grendel P10 in .380 that bruised my hand shooting defensive loads in it (+P).

The bear load in the 329PD stung my hand pretty good - enough that I didn't want to shoot any more of those. I will wait until I get it ported to try again. Although porting helps mostly with muzzle flip, I have found that not only are the ported guns I have shot much more controllable with regards to the flip, but also the recoil seems tamer. Definitely recommend a ported gun regardless of what you get.

Sounds like you need to lean towards a decently stout steel gun. As I said before, I personally would go with the .460 if I was going that route so I could load up even further.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #37
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,751
I love my .480 Ruger. More ass than a .44 by a good bit, and more useful than the .454. IMHO
A 400gr Flat nose at 11-1200 FPS will drive deep, and allow follow-up shots in the event that it's actually needed.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #38
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,735
S&w/ rugers!

Choice is yours. S&W always had better triggers but were not as durable as Rugers. Have owned and shot many of both but prefer the Rugers. Really did like my 3 inch 629 Round Butt though. Unfortunately long gone. Also really liked my 51/2 inch Stainless Redhawk too but again long gone. Got to shoot a buddy's recently again in Montana. What a hoot! Still think the .454 would be more versatile with a little more umph. I'll take the 4 inch Redhawk, thanks.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 249
Alaskan .454

Another thing to consider is the relative rarity of Super Redhawk Alaskans in .454. Those that are available are commanding a premium price.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
...Sounds like you need to lean towards a decently stout steel gun. As I said before, I personally would go with the .460 if I was going that route so I could load up even further.

Now this ^^^ is an interesting suggestion.

Apparently, I've really lost my hold on gun knowledge, over the last few years. I knew about the .460, but didn't realize how versatile it was.

I hate to use the word "snub". However, do they make it in a barrel length that is similiar to a "Guide"-style weapon? (i.e.- "Alaskan", "Mountain Gun", etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
Another thing to consider is the relative rarity of Super Redhawk Alaskans in .454. Those that are available are commanding a premium price.

I have noticed this, over the last year or so...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Truth. I ordered a 454 Alaskan when they were first introduced. I waited a year before I gave up. Several years later, I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

Thanks to HardCase, I did pick up a 4 inch ported 500 S&W. The 500 is remarkably pleasant to shoot, probably due to the weight and a really effective port job.

Disclaimer: I wanted the 460, but the 500 came along first.

Which makes me want to emphasize CM's point: If you're going with a lightweight gun, test it with the max rounds you'll use. Ms Iron's 938 is way more brutal with hot rod 9mm than the 500. My 360 with full-house 357 gets my attention too.

Lightweight guns are appealing because you'll probably carry them more, but be sure that you can shoot them accurately and don't develop a flinch because you know what's coming.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #42
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,619
Buy whatever you like. But just remember in a few months, I'll need it more than you do.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,927

I own a S&W .44 and love it. Great gun. Always took it with me when I ventured into the Montana wilderness on my own.

One of my best friends owned a 454 and I shot it a few times. After a few rounds my hand hurt and he told me how much the rounds were. He eventually sold that gun and got a .44

Has anyone suggested getting both?
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
I'm coming over to trip over one of you lost 1911's...that you won't miss.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,751
Quote:
My next wheel gun will be one of these in .475 Linebaugh.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: