User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #61
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,617
Well, today, on some kinda' impulse, I called a local dealer that a friend hooked-me-up with. I gave him the info on the .454 Alaskan, and asked him to get me one.

About an hour later, he called me back and said, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news; But, I called five distributors, and none of them had one."

So, whaddaya' do?...

***Just a little note for those of you who have not had the pleasure of owning a Ruger revolver...

I have owned many revolvers...some good, some alright. I fell in love with the stuff that Ruger makes when I purchased my first SP101. Since then I have never looked back.

That's not to say I won't own a Smith. I would, definitely.

I'm just saying that, if you haven't owned a Ruger with a cylinder, you should give one a try...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #62
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Well, today, on some kinda' impulse, I called a local dealer that a friend hooked-me-up with. I gave him the info on the .454 Alaskan, and asked him to get me one.

About an hour later, he called me back and said, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news; But, I called five distributors, and none of them had one."

So, whaddaya' do?...

Go to the gun show - Saxet, Jan. 5th & 6th
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #63
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:

So, whaddaya' do?...
You can't get them from distributors or haven't been able to for I don't know how long. You probably have to find a shop that has one in stock or a private seller. It sucks and thats what my uncle had to do. He bought his out of a shop in Alaska where it had been sitting on the shelves for a few days after the shop owner had placed an order for one 6 months prior. My uncle looked for months to find that one at a decent price. After shooting it I wanted one but after asking in every shop I went to I gave up after a few months since they couldn't get one

The entire firearms industry has the most bizarre business practices out of pretty much any industry in the US......even before the recent panic.

I've gone to shops numerous times to buy something and they tell me they don't have it in stock.....I ask them to order it......15 minutes later they tell me that none of their distributors have one. I ask when they might have some in stock....they have no idea and have to wait until the company produces more of them so tell me to check back in a few months and they might have some more in stock.

If I was able to find or buy a fraction of the guns that I wanted to "impulse buy" I'd be probably have 3x as many guns and I know I'm not the only one. My coworker has deposits down on a few guns right now and checks every few weeks but has been waiting 6+ months for them.
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #64
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:

So, whaddaya' do?...

***Just a little note for those of you who have not had the pleasure of owning a Ruger revolver...

I have owned many revolvers...some good, some alright. I fell in love with the stuff that Ruger makes when I purchased my first SP101. Since then I have never looked back.

That's not to say I won't own a Smith. I would, definitely.

I'm just saying that, if you haven't owned a Ruger with a cylinder, you should give one a try...

GunsAmerica and the auction sites are a good place to look. You need to have it shipped to an FFL which is a gun store near you. They usually charge $10-25 for the transfer and some states require collection of sales tax by the transfer agent.

This is the one you are looking for:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/116377...new-no-reserve!!!!

49 bids so it could run up in price.

a couple more on gun broker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=323332734

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322957176

Then there is the Raging Bull (which I think is cool):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=323591713

Here are a couple in .44 on gunsamerica:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/943454681...2_5_Barrel.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/916898193...n_44_magnu.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/909135107..._Magnum_NE.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/987750406...wk_Alaskan.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/911602174...1_2_barrel.htm
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #65
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
One of my best friends owned a 454 and I shot it a few times. After a few rounds my hand hurt and he told me how much the rounds were. He eventually sold that gun and got a .44

Has anyone suggested getting both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
454 Casull with a 2.5" barrel is kind of a hand cannon, claymore mine and flame-thrower all rolled into one.
I own both. I also agree with most everything that's been said.

I've owned a few barrel lengths in .44mag and used to do a lot hand loading.

I live in Alaska and always wanted a more powerful handgun for last resort bear protection, even tho IMO I don't really think it's all that necessary. I finally came across a great deal on a short barrel .454.

There is a lot more available in .44 ammo and the .44 Specials are fun to shoot. The .45 long Colt is also a lot of fun to shoot in the .454. But lemme tell you, it is NOT fun to shoot hot bear loads with the "smaller" .454! NO fun at all. Ouchie ouchie!

So, guess I'd say just get whatever you really want, or can find. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

I really like this tee shirt:

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #66
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I really didn't like the Alaskan as much as the std red hawk when I got to handle one. Was just too much of everything. That being said I would buy the 454, the ability to shoot 45 colt is too attractive. Cowboy loads are pretty darn mild and 45 colt Blazer hollow points are inexpensive and impressive.

I really hate to say it, but I was impressed with the Taurus light weight 44 mag. Now having said that, I also liked the 44 tracker

Now if I were buying today, I'd go single action. Ruger flat top 44 special

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 07:53 AM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #67
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,914
Also check Arms List. You can search locally, both private and dealers. Not as much for sale as the big sites.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #68
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
I'm guessing a single action is out of the question?
Used to have a .41 mag, Blackhawk. Bloody loved it! A bit of an orphan for ammo though.
My choice? New model Super Blackhawk. 5.5" tube.
Cheers
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #69
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Go to the gun show - Saxet, Jan. 5th & 6th

Hey buddy, good to see you posting. I hope you're healing well.

In regard to your post, a buddy of mine went to the last Live Oak gun show, on a Saturday, before he went to work. You know how tiny that show is.

Anyhow, he said that he got there about 30 minutes before opening, and the line was already around the building. So, you can imagine how bad the SAXET show is gonna' be. (***I'm not even gonna' waste my time, BTW. I just don't have any tolerance.)

I found this in another thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=226

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I'm guessing a single action is out of the question?
Used to have a .41 mag, Blackhawk. Bloody loved it! A bit of an orphan for ammo though.
My choice? New model Super Blackhawk. 5.5" tube.
Cheers

Yeah. I already own a coupla' single actions (45LC). So, this time, I was hopin' for a big-bore DA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
I...So, guess I'd say just get whatever you really want, or can find. Good luck and have fun, Mark H...

I think that's pretty-much where I'm at.

Originally, I think I posted this thread because I was so anxious to buy an Alaskan. And, with all the .44s available, I was (subconsciously) hoping that everyone would bag on the .454.

However, it seems that the votes are pretty-well split. So, I am gonna' try and be patient, and hold-out for a .454 Alaskan.

Unfortunately, patience is not one of my few gifts...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #70
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:

So, whaddaya' do?...

Road trip! (gun show)
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #71
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

I really hate to say it, but I was impressed with the Taurus light weight 44 mag. Now having said that, I also liked the 44 tracker

Now if I were buying today, I'd go single action. Ruger flat top 44 special
1) Check out the cylinder length on these - especially with regards to shooting heavy loads (long heavy bullets) for dangerous game protection.

2) I own a Taurus Ti Tracker in .357 Mag and I like it, but I would not use it for self-defense unless I had it well gone over by a gunsmith. Mine had a cylinder/barrel gap of less than 0.001" and locked up after 50 rounds. This is a not unheard of problem with Taurus revolvers. Taurus makes some neat stuff, but if they can't even check the cylinder gap (a 5 second check) before the gun leaves the factory, their QC sucks (maybe they do check it, but just don't care).
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #72
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,839
Quote:

Yeah. I already own a coupla' single actions (45LC). So, this time, I was hopin' for a big-bore DA...

I think that's pretty-much where I'm at.

Originally, I think I posted this thread because I was so anxious to buy an Alaskan. And, with all the .44s available, I was (subconsciously) hoping that everyone would bag on the .454.

However, it seems that the votes are pretty-well split. So, I am gonna' try and be patient, and hold-out for a .454 Alaskan.

Unfortunately, patience is not one of my few gifts...

My choice would be a 4" or 5" 629, But if you like Ruger there is nothing wrong with that they are well built and will take some heavy hand loads.

There is nothing a .454 can do that a .44 mag can't do.

A .460 smith is nothing but a .45 with a little more powder, on a frame that is too large to carry.

A .500 can become quite uncomfortable to shoot real quick besides the sizs of the frame and weight will be come cumbersome in a short period of time while afield.

I have a 5" 629 and it is nothing to fire 200-300 rounds at the range in an afternoon. I also have a 8-3/8 mdl .500 and after 4 rounds my arm has had all it wants.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #73
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,860
480... still the best of both worlds
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #74
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
My choice would be a 4" or 5" 629, But if you like Ruger there is nothing wrong with that they are well built and will take some heavy hand loads.

There is nothing a .454 can do that a .44 mag can't do.

A .460 smith is nothing but a .45 with a little more powder, on a frame that is too large to carry.

A .500 can become quite uncomfortable to shoot real quick besides the sizs of the frame and weight will be come cumbersome in a short period of time while afield.

I have a 5" 629 and it is nothing to fire 200-300 rounds at the range in an afternoon. I also have a 8-3/8 mdl .500 and after 4 rounds my arm has had all it wants.

Get outta' my mind!

Your post really spoke to me because, despite the fact that I have had my eye on an Alaskan, for quite some time, I am not a patient man (as posted above). And, on top of that, I agree with so much of what you posted.

So, right now, here are the contenders: Ruger Alaskan, 4.2" Redhawk in .44, 4.2" Redhawk in .45LC, or a 4" 629.

There is a 4" 629, that is showin' as "available", on ImpactGuns...

MUST...
RESIST...

MUST...
NOT...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #75
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,860
The 4" 629 was my second fav S&W N-Frame. Right behind the 5" 610. I'd love to have either back right now.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: