Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #76
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
1) Check out the cylinder length on these - especially with regards to shooting heavy loads (long heavy bullets) for dangerous game protection.

2) I own a Taurus Ti Tracker in .357 Mag and I like it, but I would not use it for self-defense unless I had it well gone over by a gunsmith. Mine had a cylinder/barrel gap of less than 0.001" and locked up after 50 rounds. This is a not unheard of problem with Taurus revolvers. Taurus makes some neat stuff, but if they can't even check the cylinder gap (a 5 second check) before the gun leaves the factory, their QC sucks (maybe they do check it, but just don't care).

I had a Colt that would do that. It was an $800 gun at the time.

As for QC, Ruger is developing that rep theirself. The customer is the QC

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #77
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
...As for QC, Ruger is developing that rep theirself. The customer is the QC

I hope this ^^^ is the exception more than the rule.

I've loved every Ruger wheelgun I've ever owned. However, I have not bought one in about 3-5 years.

Don't harsh my karma, there, Mr. Perterra...

What are you doin' outta' the Basement, anyway?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #78
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I hope this ^^^ is the exception more than the rule.

I've loved every Ruger wheelgun I've ever owned. However, I have not bought one in about 3-5 years.

Don't harsh my karma, there, Mr. Perterra...

What are you doin' outta' the Basement, anyway?...

I get out every now and then and post on the shiny and thumpers.

I hope Ruger has improved a bit, I had a Vaquero that was way out on cylinder size and a P 95 that had an ejector fail in the first thousand rounds but that was a few years back. I mean honestly Ruger has had a few issues, but I have never heard of a single instance that they didnt make it right quickly. Dont take it as a dis of Ruger, they aint Freedom Arms, but they aint charging like Freedom Arms either.

For the most part Ruger is no different than everybody else though they appear to have glommed on to a bunch of Keltec designs lately.
Seems more important these days for all companies to lure investors in over customers. Eventually the chickens come home to roost. I looked at a 10/22 a few years back and the reciever was done in crinkle paint. That was kind of a let down, the last one I saw looked good though.

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #79
perterra
-. --- .--. .

By the by, the only Ruger wheelgun I have left is a beat and ragged 2 3/4" stainless Security Six that has been tuned. It is a fine handgun, I have kept it for the last 20 years and traded off shit that was a lot higher class but didnt shoot as well.

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #80
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Well, I hate to offend anyone, as most are very passionate about their weapon(s) choices. But, for my money, their autos are shit. It's my opinion that, if you have a fan in your room, that's blowin' papers off your desk or dresser, you may want to consider a Ruger auto.

As I've said, I'm a huge fan of their wheelguns, and hope that, if I buy another, it doesn't disappoint...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #81
perterra
-. --- .--. .

The std auto is a pretty darn good 22, the 95 was fine after they sent it back. I put probably 6,000 rounds thru it in the year after and it ran just as well and was just as accurate as my Glock 17. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up another 95 or a 345. The SR's dont do much for me. The LC's, I would as soon buy a keltec.

They make some damn good revolvers, I just couldnt warm up to the alaskan as anything more than a truck gun. It's just too damn bulky. The redhawk, I like. Triggers are harder to tune they say but they are dependable.

But these days I'm in to old stuff, pre war Smiths and Colt New Service I get all giddy on. I almost picked up a Colt army in 41 colt a couple weeks ago, just couldnt squeeze the pennies together without getting rid of something. Would be a strictly handload affair I suspect as I wasnt able to find any 41 colt ammoes

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #82
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
...I almost picked up a Colt army in 41 colt a couple weeks ago, just couldnt squeeze the pennies together without getting rid of something...

Hey, you gotta' lie to the wife, not to us, Moneybags...

Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #83
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Hey, you gotta' lie to the wife, not to us, Moneybags...

I'ze squeezed between property taxes and tires and shocks for the Tacoma. After the first of the year I will jump on another old Colt. This one was a 1909 year I think.

If'n I was moneybags I would probably have a better street bike than the KLR

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #84
perterra
-. --- .--. .

You ever think about having a custom wheel gun made up?

Ten Ring does some pretty good work there in San Anne.

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #85
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Get outta' my mind!
Get a 329PD - then it will recoil like a .460 but be available like a 629.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #86
perterra
-. --- .--. .

You need to step on up to the plate here, knock one out of the park. http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery.html

IBA 22425
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #87
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Get a 329PD - then it will recoil like a .460 but be available like a 629.

Quote:
You need to step on up to the plate here, knock one out of the park. http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery.html...

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #88
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,873
Quote:
Get outta' my mind!

Your post really spoke to me because, despite the fact that I have had my eye on an Alaskan, for quite some time, I am not a patient man (as posted above). And, on top of that, I agree with so much of what you posted.

So, right now, here are the contenders: Ruger Alaskan, 4.2" Redhawk in .44, 4.2" Redhawk in .45LC, or a 4" 629.

There is a 4" 629, that is showin' as "available", on ImpactGuns...

MUST...
RESIST...

MUST...
NOT...

Rugers are built hell for stout and can take some HEAVY hand loads that would blow some others to smitherines.

Elmer Kieth did a lot to develop the .44 mag in a Smith that wasn't built for that much pressure. Besides which I'm kinda partial to Smiths.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #89
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
You need to step on up to the plate here, knock one out of the park. http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery.html

Thanks - I think I just found who I want to mod my 329PD.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #90
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,029
Lets not forget Gary Reeder

I really like my Ruger wheelguns, but the P90 I had was an absolute piece of crap.I had it for 6 months and couldn't get it to hit anything decently. Any Ruger rimfire semi auto has been about as perfect a shooter as I could manage though
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: