Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #91
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know what model .44 I've got. It says "Mountain Gun" on it which I'm pretty sure is just like a 629? I'll agree with you on the trigger- it's simply awesome. I'd shoot it a lot more if I could.

I work a part-time job on the side with a fellow that works full time at Ruger. He passed along his employee discount to me (did it all legit) and I got an SR9c. I haven't shot that enough to feel comfortable but so far I like it. More important is that there seems to be a good crew of Americans making those guns, and they all seem to take a lot of pride in their product. That's worth a lot in my book.
The "mountain gun" is a lightened version of my 4" 629 if I recall correctly. I wanted one of those when I bought mine for backcountry carry in Alaska but they only had the standard 4" 629. My FIL has a 629 4" which has the full barrel lug like the model 586 in my picture.

I think those are the only three versions of the 629 with a 4" barrel (?). Mine has handled a few crazy AK bear loads without any ill effects but it is actually fun to shoot with factory 240 grain magnums (more fun with specials).
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #92
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
3 Inch 629!

Mine was fun to shoot too, considering my pal warned me to stay away from them. too much recoil and muzzel blast. Bull. They were a pussycat with 240gr Hard Cast moving fast. Same with 240gr factory JHPs. Could hit the 10 inch steel gong at 100yds once or twice out of 6 times. All the rest were close. Suprised the hell out of the AR crowd there.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #93
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Lets not forget Gary Reeder

I really like my Ruger wheelguns, but the P90 I had was an absolute piece of crap.I had it for 6 months and couldn't get it to hit anything decently. Any Ruger rimfire semi auto has been about as perfect a shooter as I could manage though

I like Reeder, I shot one of his single actions a few times and was impressed with the action, but he does the god awfullest laser engraving I have ever seen.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #94
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I like Reeder, I shot one of his single actions a few times and was impressed with the action, but he does the god awfullest laser engraving I have ever seen.
He should also fire his marketing department that comes up with the names for his stuff
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #95
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
He should also fire his marketing department that comes up with the names for his stuff

Amen brudder, amen

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #96
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,945
Quote:
...I really like my Ruger wheelguns, but the P90 I had was an absolute piece of crap.I had it for 6 months and couldn't get it to hit anything decently. Any Ruger rimfire semi auto has been about as perfect a shooter as I could manage though

I missed this ^^^ part of your post, and couldn't agree more. There rimfire stuff is, in my opinion, just as nice as their wheelgun offerings.

However, every Ruger "P" semi-auto, that I ever shot, was a POS. Like you, I couldn't get 'em to group...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #97
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I don't know CM; This pic just put a tingly sensation in my boxer shorts...

There are a few on Gunbroker right now. $1K seems to be the going price of admission.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #98
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Yeah... I'm not buying anything until the crazy stops. Probably six months or more.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #99
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
There are a few on Gunbroker right now. $1K seems to be the going price of admission.
That'll take some of the tingle out of your shorts.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #100
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
The funny things is, there was an auction, for a .454 Alaskan, that ended the other day. Supposedly, the pistol had 20-to-21 bids, and sold for $1211.

I highly doubt that, and here's why...

The $999 pistols were up, on the same "search" page, but didn't have one bid on 'em.

So, it seems to me like some dealer (because of the current circumstances) got a bad case of wishful thinking, started the piece too high, and was padding his bid numbers. I betcha' that same pistol will come-up for auction, again, in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Yeah... I'm not buying anything until the crazy stops. Probably six months or more.
Isn't it crazy, right now?!?

For me, this kinda' stuff just shows how stupid shit is, right now. What are the 'grabbers gonna' do?...recommend that two holes, on all cylinders, be filled?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
That'll take some of the tingle out of your shorts.
Retail, on the Alaskans, is (I believe) about $1050. And, because of their rareness, over the last year, I kinda' knew I would be paying close to that.

Whaddaya do?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #101
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
You need to step on up to the plate here, knock one out of the park. http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery.html

Not sure my little girl wrists could manage that thing? If that wont stop the threat, it has "Peterbuilt" stamped on it somewhere!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #102
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,954
Picked this Super Redhawk .44 up at a gun show for 400 bucks cash:

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #103
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Picked this Super Redhawk .44 up at a gun show for 400 bucks cash:

WOW! That is a good deal!
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #104
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Not sure my little girl wrists could manage that thing? If that wont stop the threat, it has "Peterbuilt" stamped on it somewhere!
Lyle
.50 AE is a pussycat. It'd be a fun gun.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #105
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

A few days ago, I was at the Yamaha dealership, where I purchased my Super Tenere. The salesman, who has sold several bikes to me, asked me how I was doin', and we struck-up a conversation.

He's a gun guy, and collects all kinda' shit (black rifles, mega-revolvers, etc.) So, he asked if I had acquired any new "toys". I told him that I had gone to the last big show, at the "Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum", but hadn't bought anything. I further told him that I had seen a S&W .460, but still had my heart set on the Ruger Alaskan .454.

He said, "Ya' know, J, I have one. It's new in the box; I've never shot it. Are you really lookin' for one?" I told him I was. Apparently, his wife had some medical procedures that added-up to a bit. So, we started talkin' cost, and I told him, "Why don't we just call it sold?" He said, "Well, lemme' think about it, over the weekend, and I'll call you on Tuesday."

Anyhow, short-story-long, I couldn't wait until "Tuesday". I called him, yesterday, and fed him some crap about thinkin' about buying the .460. He still kinda' him-hawed. However, by the time we got off the phone, we had come to a number.

I spent last night convinced that he would crawfish on the deal. But, he didn't. So, I am the new owner of a Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan", in the unobtainium .454 chambering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: