Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #121
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Thats why he needs to buy some reloading equipment and start rolling his own.

That way he can also make up some light loads that may be comfortable to shoot.
or buy a couple boxes of cheap cowboy rounds 45 Colt to plink with

great fun
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #122
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
or buy a couple boxes of cheap cowboy rounds 45 Colt to plink with

great fun

This ^ was the whole idea of holding-out for the .454: the versatility. I coulda' found a .44 Alaskan a long time ago; They're a dime a dozen.

I never really had any intention of carrying the pistol with .454s in it. I figured I buy a box or two, for entertainment value, but not really for carry.

The .45LC/.454 pistol gave me quite a few options...

-.45LC cowboy and standard loads for plinkin'

-.45LC standard/hollowpoint loads for human defense

-.45LC Buffalo Bore low-flash manstoppers for defense

-.45LC Buffalo Bore "heavy" loads for animal threats in the Hill Country

-.454, in the event that I ever found myself travelling in bear country

Not to get this thread punted to CS&M. But, I figured this pistol would make a great all-arounder, and a decent pannier companion.

I don't reload, but own a few weapons chambered for this round (.45LC). So, after pondering it, the choice seemed logical.

Thanks to all who posted.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #123
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,673
Nice find!!

I, too, have a completely unnatural attraction to the Alaskan in .454. I have no use for one at all, but... What the heck? Some day, I'll probably own one.

I nearly bought one four or five years ago when my local range/shop had one on consignment listed for $820.

I carry a S&W 357PD Airweight .41Mag when in bear country. It's a great camping and walking gun - lightweight, but packs a punch.

Another thing you have to watch when shooting high-power, major-caliber loads in "Airweights" or titanium revolvers is bullet creep. The sharp and heavy recoil of a heavy load behind a heavyweight bullet can, with inertia, cause the bullets of the rounds in the cylinder to creep forward if they don't have a healthy crimp on them. Enough creep can cause the cylinder to lock if a bullet gets past the front of the cylinder.

W.A.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #124
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Nice find!!

I, too, have a completely unnatural attraction to the Alaskan in .454. I have no use for one at all, but... What the heck? Some day, I'll probably own one.

I nearly bought one four or five years ago when my local range/shop had one on consignment listed for $820...

Thanks.

I, too, have no use for one. That crap I've spouted, in my past posts, is nothing more than justification.

Quote:
...I carry a S&W 357PD Airweight .41Mag when in bear country. It's a great camping and walking gun - lightweight, but packs a punch...

Nice piece.

I woulda' probably settled for another .357. However, as I posted, I can't seem to keep one.

Quote:
...Another thing you have to watch when shooting high-power, major-caliber loads in "Airweights" or titanium revolvers is bullet creep. The sharp and heavy recoil of a heavy load behind a heavyweight bullet can, with inertia, cause the bullets of the rounds in the cylinder to creep forward if they don't have a healthy crimp on them. Enough creep can cause the cylinder to lock if a bullet gets past the front of the cylinder.

W.A.

I'm glad some folks are sharing warnings, in regard to these hand-cannons.

I used to be a gun guy. However, other than throwing one in the car (or on the bike), when I travel, I don't get around them much, anymore. I'm hoping that the novelty of the Alaskan will change that: that it will cause me to get out to the property, and squeeze-off a few rounds, from time to time. What I'm saying is: Thanks for sharing the appropriate warnings with me (If even as a reminder).

I don't think this piece qualifies as an "airweight", though. I have rifles that weigh less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
...Thanks to all who posted.

Oh yeah...except for perterra and Nico.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #125
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,287
First of all congrats on your purchase!
Secondly I have some and shot others. My 454 is a Rossi Puma M92 Lever gun that I have had since they come out and have put many a thousand rounds through and the only problem encountered when switching between the 454 and .45 is the residue left behind in the chamber from the 45 will cause the 454 cases to stick. The 45 cases are a tenth of an inch shorter and the powder residue will build up in that last tenth so unless you clean before shooting the 454 there may be extraction issues at lease there is with this lever gun, canít speak for the revolvers. My revolver it a Ruger in 45 Colt and you can hotrod Ruger hand loads in 45 Colt with new brass to exceed 44 velocities but then you probably know that. Yes I roll my own you have to to shoot much 454Ö I have shot the Taurus in 454 and the Freedom Arms in 454 and I liked the recoil delivery of the FA better than that of the Taurus. The Taurus had muzzle breaks that caused the gun to torque and roll in your hand, its like the ports werenít balanced correctly. The FA was like shooting my Ruger with a bigger grip, straight back over your head it to was ported with slots. Freedom Arms is a fine gun and I would own one if the prices werenít so high.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #126
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
... the only problem encountered when switching between the 454 and .45 is the residue left behind in the chamber from the 45 will cause the 454 cases to stick. The 45 cases are a tenth of an inch shorter and the powder residue will build up in that last tenth so unless you clean before shooting the 454 there may be extraction issues at lease there is with this lever gun, canít speak for the revolvers.
That's exactly the reason FA recommends that a .454 owner purchase an extra .45 Colt cylinder if he wishes to shoot them.

Thanks for the review of the Puma. I haven't heard much about them.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #127
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Thanks.

Oh yeah...except for perterra and Nico.

Ya hurt my feelings ya little rat bastard

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #128
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Ya hurt my feelings ya little rat bastard

When you comin' to San Antone, biatch?

If you can't do that, let's settle on a barbecue place somewhere about halfway. Whaddaya' think?

And don't start complainin' about your hemorrhoids and arthritis and shit.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #129
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
When you comin' to San Antone, biatch?

If you can't do that, let's settle on a barbecue place somewhere about halfway. Whaddaya' think?

And don't start complainin' about your hemorrhoids and arthritis and shit.

Works for me, where though I gots no idea. Maybe some chicken fried bacon at Sodalaks in Snook. Got to be some place better though, Que sounds good.

IBA 22425
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #130
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
First of all congrats on your purchase!...

*snip*

Thank you.

It sounds like you have some nice weaponry, there.

It's funny you mention the Redhawk, in .45LC. I was looking for either the Alaskan, or the 4.2 Redhawk (in .45LC). Because, as I posted, I was not intending much (if any) firing of the Casull, it didn't matter to me which one I found first: Alaskan or Redhawk.

Quote:
...and the only problem encountered when switching between the 454 and .45 is the residue left behind in the chamber from the 45 will cause the 454 cases to stick. The 45 cases are a tenth of an inch shorter and the powder residue will build up in that last tenth so unless you clean before shooting the 454 there may be extraction issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
That's exactly the reason FA recommends that a .454 owner purchase an extra .45 Colt cylinder if he wishes to shoot them...

I say push the Casulls into the cylinder/chamber, and squeeze-off a coupla' rounds. That'll clear-out the lead...and a coupla' thousandths of the metal, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Works for me, where though I gots no idea. Maybe some chicken fried bacon at Sodalaks in Snook. Got to be some place better though, Que sounds good.

I'll think of something.

Damn!...Do I have to do everything around here?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #131
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Thank you.

Damn!...Do I have to do everything around here?

Somebody got to

IBA 22425
Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #132
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,180
For fuck sake...something just occurred to me...I had been reading the "JJ" in OP's screen name as "SS"...that and the pink in the avatar and I was under the assumption WARRIORPRINCESS was a chick...

...I was thinking here's some chick that rides a Tenere and just bought a "...Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan", in the unobtainium .454 chambering."

How can she be single?

Fuck it, it's Friday evening...I'm cracking open a bottle of rye...
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #133
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
For fuck sake...something just occurred to me...I had been reading the "JJ" in OP's screen name as "SS"...that and the pink in the avatar and I was under the assumption WARRIORPRINCESS was a chick...

...I was thinking here's some chick that rides a Tenere and just bought a "...Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan", in the unobtainium .454 chambering."

How can she be single?

Fuck it, it's Friday evening...I'm cracking open a bottle of rye...

Youre running late, I already got a hang over going

IBA 22425
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #134
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Anyone ever shoot this? .410, .45 or .454 it is a true hand cannon. I have been looking for one.

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #135
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Picked this Super Redhawk .44 up at a gun show for 400 bucks cash:
The Ruger revolvers are good solid guns. I had an SP101 snubby and it felt like it was machined from a solid block of stainless. Very modular too. If I didn't care about weight then I would go Ruger, but I am getting old and decrepit so I got a S&W 329PD in .44 Mag instead.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: