Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #136
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post

Endless hours of daydreaming and endless nights of sleeplessness, coffee and scrapped paper, I came up with this drawing. I decided to build my boat starting from tomorrow.
Boat? For what? To cross the Darien?? Now that would be what we call adventuring!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #137
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200

Doing my sea hours before the big day.

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #138
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I met Adrian whos from Hungary (sitting next to me) as a recommendation from Ron who is an American man I had met soon after crossing into Panama. Adrian is a sailor who has been sailing transporting backpackers back and forth between Panama and Columbia and he survived an expedition into the Antarctic on his sailing boat which cost him an eye. If theres someone who could help me with my boat construction, then Adrian would be the perfect buddy to have on your side, I was told by Ron. So I met up with him when I reached Panama City. We spent couple of hours discussing about my crazy idea and the way we could implement it. We reexamined my plans and scratched heads together. Other sailors who have a passion for adventure came by, sat with us and all tried to be helpful and they certainly liked my sportsmanship.
The Caribbean Sea is too rough until the month of May, something which they all agreed with. But then David, (second left) came up with the idea that I should sail the Pacific Ocean and the wind and the current should help carry me towards Columbia. They all found it a great idea. Jonathan the Frenchman (left) offered me a VHF communication radio and makes a sail for The Courage of Bridget for free. Catching the wind means Ill be sailing without having to use lot of fuel. Adrian promised me that hell take care of the necessary paperwork, permits and the authorities, plus help me build The Courage of Bridget. So tomorrow is the start of my big day. We are actually going to shop for material! Wow! Im so excited!
Oh, by the way, you may wonder what's this "Courage of Bridget".
Well, that's the name I gave to my boat dedicating the whole adventure for my mother who toiled for many years to make us four young boys to strong men.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #139
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
I have skipped past your ride report dozens of times without ever stopping to look. I most likely would not have ever looked, however, until I just happened to see your motorcycle out the corner of my eye when leaving my beach in Uverito. It changed the last few days of my trip here in Panama. The more I read the better it gets! Your pictures are amazing.. It's been awesome talking to you and listing to your stories the last couple of days. I can't wait to see how the rest of your adventure turns out. You have a gift for capturing effect in your pictures.

If I was not running to town to get pop when I seen your bike, and did not back up to go take a look I would have never made the connection. Your photos and written stories not to mention all the truly heart felt stories that you have shared with myself and my friends have certainly had a impact on us.

Good luck with the rest of your adventure. I will be keeping an eye on you from here on in.

Phil, it's amazing how you meet people. It's even more amazing how people can inspire one another. May be you didn't notice it. But I learned a few things from you about life too. But I won't mention them in order to prevent you from becoming a big-head :-)
The two days I spent with you were absolutely great my friend! You are charged with positive energy!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #140
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Boat? For what? To cross the Darien?? Now that would be what we call adventuring!

Well, I might go fishing before I get to Columbia :-)

Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #141
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,463
great report, maybe the best here!... your spirit is not to be denied!... but....

the ocean is a very cruel mistress!... without a doubt....

stuff breaks on land, you just swear... and start walking...

you break/sink outta the sight of land?..... that ain't adventure, it's suicide..... really....

doesn't sound like you've been on the water much.....

yer' talking about doing something much more dangerous than riding a motorcycle....

cubans/haitians die on rafts trying to get to florida all the time... which is basically what you're trying to do.....

i'm saying you better think again....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #142
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Incredible.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #143
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
great report, maybe the best here!... your spirit is not to be denied!... but....

the ocean is a very cruel mistress!... without a doubt....

stuff breaks on land, you just swear... and start walking...

you break/sink outta the sight of land?..... that ain't adventure, it's suicide..... really....

doesn't sound like you've been on the water much.....

yer' talking about doing something much more dangerous than riding a motorcycle....

cubans/haitians die on rafts trying to get to florida all the time... which is basically what you're trying to do.....

i'm saying you better think again....

Thanks for that my friend! I understand your concerns and I appreciate your words. But isn't adventure always connected with risks? I rode 150'000km so far on this tour and believe me, I had many close calls. Get on the road and you are at the mercy of thousands of other road users! You can only hope that it isn't your day that some idiot ramming you from behind (I experienced this scenario last night in Panama city. Fortunately the car that hit me slowed down enough not to cause injuries)
All you can do is, take precautionary measures and be vigilant. As far as my sea adventure is concerns, I will be taking great care not to make this to a suicidal mission. But having said that, every mission to space is a suicidal mission. Every flight you take to go on your vacation is involved with risks. May be my boat will sink and I may able to get on that life raft and survive... or I may even die. When that happens someone will earn a few millions by making a film of my story :-)
But do you know what is the best thing is? I died living my dream unlike those who live 200 years dreaming about living them!

Thanks for appreciating my RR. It makes me happy to share my experiences with you!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #144
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Panama City by night. Sipping a coffee enjoying the lights and the stars before finding a place to crash.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #145
davesupreme
grand poobah

i really ain't tryin' to argue w/you, i find your attitude and optimism really of the finest kind!..

i just think you're gonna get in way over 'yer head(hahaha...) in this catamaran contraption that 'yer thinkin' about.... and i don't know if you know it or not, but there's no such thing as an atheist on a sinking boat.... and lemme tell you, i've been scared a couple of times..... all i'm saying, is don't even think about any open water crossings on that crazy thing.....

via condios!...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #146
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
i really ain't tryin' to argue w/you, i find your attitude and optimism really of the finest kind!..

i just think you're gonna get in way over 'yer head(hahaha...) in this catamaran contraption that 'yer thinkin' about.... and i don't know if you know it or not, but there's no such thing as an atheist on a sinking boat.... and lemme tell you, i've been scared a couple of times..... all i'm saying, is don't even think about any open water crossings on that crazy thing.....

via condios!...

How about some practical help... like.... a case of beer

Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #147
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
davesupreme, I know you mean well but if we look at the map, I think that it may be possible to make a boat and ride it along the coast of Panama/Colombia before making it to Colombia? It seems doable! Not like trying to ride from Cuba to FL. I think some bicycle riders/backpacker have purchased a kayak and paddle all the way over to Colombia before leaving it behind to ride bicycle down to S. America? Just saying..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #148
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
Incredible.
Hey, good luck on your trip!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #149
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last night I was out in the bay area enjoying Panama City by night. There I randomly meet this Swiss family who invite me to their home to stay. Lately it hasn't been too many roughing it out like I'm used to and I'm happy to be able to have a decent sleep and to have good breakfast before going to work on The Courage of Bridget.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #150
davesupreme
grand poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
How about some practical help... like.... a case of beer

a case is comin' 'yer way, by 'paypal', of course!... hope they can keep it cold.... sorry it's not more, i'm broke $$$$...

just don't use it for any nutz and boltz for yer' crazy catamaran....