Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #166
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,125
Sending positive thoughts your way!

Hey Dylan,

I admire your perseverance and tenacity and hope things work out for you, Bruce, and the Courage of Bridget on this phase of your long journey. I am sending positive thoughts and energy your direction, hoping to bolster your seemingly indomitable spirit.

I saw your comment about working every day with no time for fun. I'll make you a deal. I'll get out on my backcountry skis 4 or 5 times a week and attempt to have enough fun for two people, to make up for your lack of fun time. Then, when you get back on the road again, YOU can spend some time having enough fun for two people while I'm up here at work, dreaming of skiing or riding......

I'm heading to Bolivia in October, but I'm sure you'll be out of South America by then. Cheers!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #167
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,125
Having fun - on skis instead of a bike...

Hey Dylan,

I went skiing after work and had enough fun for two people. Did you feel any extra good vibes coming from the north? I skied up the powerline to a high spot and then skied down one of my favorite trails, which is several miles of tight twisties, downhill through the trees, sometimes alongside a cliff which you can fly off if you can't control your speed on the hard-packed snow. My adrenaline gets ramped up on this trail as there are lots of tight turns and countless trees to avoid. Yeehaw!

I took a few photos to share with you. Denali was visible in the distance, but it was pretty hazy out so the photos didn't turn out well. This one shows the view from part-way up the powerline.

A closer view of Denali, which is 200 miles away - and obscured by haze.

The peak at the far end of this ridgeline is O'Malley Peak. I have sat on the summit of that peak several times and LOVE the view!

This is a view of Flattop and Peaks 1, 2 and 3. My turn around point was still 1.5 miles up the slope. This is part of my "big back yard."

I apologize for this hijack, but I wanted Dylan to know I'm thinking of him and hope his spirit remains high. Dylan - there are people out here who care about you and are rooting for you! Charlie said to tell you hello. He's flying down to Lima, Peru this weekend.

Back to the regular programming.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #168
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #169
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
Awesome! So how did the test day turned out?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #170
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
trevhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #171
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Things started to look pretty hectic from the moment we carried the boat into the half empty canal bed. Before the high tide came, I still had plenty of things to do. There were so many little adjustments to take care of. I still had to fix the rudder and the propeller. I was running around trying to get everything done in time. Though I had a few people helping me, I still had to delegate them what to do and to do them fast before the water level rose back. Since the morning I hadn't eaten anything and I was barely surviving with just water. Fortunately, there was a Dutch family, whom I made friends with came to see me off sailing, asked me if I needed anything to eat. They were about to go home to eat something and were willing to be back before we set sail. I asked them for a sandwich and, if they had, a few liters of petrol for the bike. They were more than happy to do me this favour and off they went. However, things happened so fast, when the tide returned, we started sailing down the Panama Canal before the Dutch friends came back.
For the very first time in my life, I'm a captain on a vessel. We were five of us. Friends who helped me launching the boat were excited to have a ride on it. Nevertheless, I was navigating without a permit, a license or any other document in such strategic body of water as Panama Canal. So I was a bit scared about what police might have to say about my adventure once they discover this unusual kind of float carrying a motorcycle. Every boat which went down the canal was a possible threat to my project and honestly, I was a bit jumpy whenever I saw another boat. But after about three kilometers, I spotted a fast boat approaching me from behind. Sure enough, it was a police boat. When they caught up with me, they slowed down keeping close to my starboard side. One of the police officers came out and he wanted to get on my boat with a few things in his hands. Without getting onto my boat, the officer threw one of those items into the hands of one of my friends. It was a four liter plastic water bottle then he threw another plastic container filled with pasta and finally one liter bottle of Coca Cola. And then they turned around and left. Only then it occurred to me that, this has been a dispatch ride in the orders of my Dutch friends who wanted to bring me some food and fuel. I was relieved but excited at the same time. We celebrated the food and the bottle of Coca Cola together. Filled the fuel tank with the four liters of fuel but our joy didn't live long before we heard the sound of police sirens. There was another police boat behind us. They took a good look at my boat and asked if I had a permit. “No” I answered. “Do you have life jackets?”
“No”
“What are you doing with this thing?”
“I’m doing a crazy experiment with my motorbike sir. It’s just a pleasure ride”
The officer started laughing. Before they turned around he said “OK. But be careful! Enjoy your ride!”

Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #172
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Awesome! So how did the test day turned out?
The test ride was awesome! It rides the waves pretty good. The only thing is the propeller sucks air in when there are big waves= you can't go fast. I got 8km speed at 1500rpm which I'm more than happy with. Colombia, here I come! :-)

Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #173
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Wow! Awesome

Good job buddy!! Wondering what your route is going to be? Or are you just winging it from day to day? Safe biking.......err........boating........err.......I mean both! Good luck

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #174
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
Only then it occurred to me that, this has been a dispatch ride in the orders of my Dutch friends who wanted to bring me some food and fuel. I was relieved but excited at the same time. We celebrated the food and the bottle of Coca Cola together. Filled the fuel tank with the four liters of fuel but our joy didn't live long before we heard the sound of police sirens. There was another police boat behind us. They took a good look at my boat and asked if I had a permit. “No” I answered. “Do you have life jackets?”
“No”
“What are you doing with this thing?”
“I’m doing a crazy experiment with my motorbike sir. It’s just a pleasure ride”
The officer started laughing. Before they turned around he said “OK. But be careful! Enjoy your ride!”

Wow! This is just great
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #175
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 528
Are you getting enough air flow over the cylinders to prevent the bike overheating? 1500 rpm on land is probably 30kph - on the sea just a few knots especially if there is a sea running.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #176
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Would be cool to some video of this this 1150 GSA Bruce/Boat-thing-a-ma-jig in action.

Personally, I think you are crazy, but very cool to see someone try this type of MacGiver vehicle.

Wishing you the best.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #177
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Good job buddy!! Wondering what your route is going to be? Or are you just winging it from day to day? Safe biking.......err........boating........err.......I mean both! Good luck

Hi Phil,
My route will be Panama City-Pearl Islands-Darien-Bahia Solana- Buenaventura. I'm guessing it would be around 800km trip. Plans subject to change. But I will be sailing for sure.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #178
phxbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Go Dylan Go

Dylan,
Just looking at our photo together in November. Glad to see the beemer is staying together. Your boat looks great! Make sure you get a life jacket! Let us know if you need anything!!: Keep the updates coming, okay? -Steve and Alexis in Phoenix
phxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #179
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

(I'm off to Colombia. Unfortunately, things didn't go according to plan. The two boats which supposed to accompany me till Las Perlas, couldn't leave Panama due to various reasons. So, I am all by myself. This leg of my journey will take me to the Pearl Islands. I'll be sailin through the night. Though you don't see the sail in the picture, as soon as I'm out of the busy bay area, I'll cut off the engine and use the wind power to reach my destination. The weather conditions here in Panama City: partly cloudy with north easterly winds at about 20 knots. If all goes well, I should reach Perl Islands in about 12 hours.
Thanks for your encouraging words friends. I'll keep you posted!)

13th March

Dear friends,
At last my departure to Colombia has arrived. In less than 12 hours I will be sailing to Colombia and probably this will be the last update from Panama City, (if I don't manage to post a photo of my departure tomorrow morning)
I'm sorry to have been quiet over the last few days with my updates. But for me, it hasn't been an easy time. I chose to do a big adventure and the preparation itself has been an adventure for itself. There were too may reasons for frustration and the number of times I was discouraged by people and their attitude were also too may to mention.
However, after I managed to build the boat and put it into the water, I was faced with a new dilemma with the authorities. Leaving Panama on a self built boat such as this one, is almost impossible task to achieve (unless you have enough hard cash to throw around)
But then there was another new problem. Bruce who has been so faithful to me on this long journey, started giving me trouble by indicating that the engine oil pressure is dangerously low. Now fixing a motorcycle which is on a raft at sea isn't the most exciting thing you'll be dreaming of doing, especially at the very beginning of a dared adventure. But it just had to be that way, like, adding spice into a already hot Sri Lankan curry :-)
With great difficulties and after dropping many tools into the sea that is deep enough to devour them for good, I managed to repair the faults and finally get ready to be on my way.
Since the visa issue with the officials can not be resolved by reasonable means, I will be sailing off Panama without their exit stamps into Colombia.
Do I worry about the consequences right now? Hell NO! Will the Colombians jail me not having the right papers? I don't know! But if that happens, I hope that they'll have wifi in the jail so that I can tell you all about my Pacific adventure!
Anyhow, I 'm very aware of the degree of the risks involved in this journey. I may reach my destination in style or I may fail and sink Bruce in the ocean. But please be sure that I did what I did because I loved doing it. Yes, I am a man who always remained a boy! Wish me and the Courage of Bridget all good things!
Peace everybody!

Dylan.S screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:02 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #180
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After spending two nights at sea I finally arrived in the Islands of Las Perlas, exhausted! Never having sailed before, I found it a quite an adventure to set the sail at right position to achieve speed. I managed to move forward at 2km per our! Considering the fact that there was 2knots current against me, it was an achievement!

For two days I've been under the wrong impression of being alone until I discover this new friend. I baptize him with the name Wilson.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:25 PM