Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #196
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Hi Dylan, wow, what an amazing adventure! If D-day ever comes, I hope I get stranded with someone like you.

5 years ago I crossed the Darien Gap on cargo boats and I did not have the proper entry stamp that I was supposed to get at a tiny landlocked resort town called Sapzurro on the border of Colombia and Panama.

The DAS (immigration) and Dian (vehicle permit agency) are some real jackasses when it comes to flexibility. When I arrived in Turbo, Colombia the DAS refused to give me the proper entry stamps. I ended up having to ride all the way to Cartagena without a proper entry stamp. Luckily, I never got pulled over.

Once in Cartegena someone gave me the tip to go to Club Nautico Cartagena http://www.clubnauticocartagena.com/ and talk to the owner and get him to "add" me to the manifest of a recent incoming sailboat. I think I paid $40 to have that done and than I went to the DAS and got my stamps.

My advice to you is to first go to the marinas in Buenaventura and explain your situation and see if they will add you to the manifest of a recent sailboat that came in.

Hi gatogato,

That is indeed a good piece of information to have! Thanks so much!!!

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #197
hdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
you are de man

I bow down to you. YOU ARE DE MAN!!!!
hdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #198
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
I bow down to you. YOU ARE DE MAN!!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #199
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
this report is insane, no idea how to fix outboard motors but keep it up dylan your my new hero.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #200
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
A bump to see if anyone has info on our solo traveler attempting some very wild first time experience adventures.
yokesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #201
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
A bump to see if anyone has info on our solo traveler attempting some very wild first time experience adventures.
No update on his facebook page since the same update he posted few days ago regarding outboard motor trouble.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #202
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,393
my thoughts and prayers are with this guy....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #203
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Update on Captain Dylan

Hey there everyone!

Dylan called me last Saturday the 30th while I was still in Panama.
He was back in Panama City to get the sensor for his bike, then heading back out to the island.
He was is good spirit and positive as usual. He is still determined to get to Columbia and complete his journey with his boat.
However.....he did mention that he was not sure how much longer he would be able to continue his adventure due to all the extra costs and unforeseen expenses that the crossing has cost him.
I for one am keen to hear all of his story and follow him thru to the end. Unfortunately I am thinking that the "real time" part of this ride report will come to a end once he reaches land in South America.

I spent a few days with Dylan a couple months ago. I first hand seen and heard his passion for this trip. This is not just another ride report, this is his whole life! He took all he had, sold it, paid off all debt and headed out with what he had on his bike.

He puts his heart into every aspect of this adventure and always sees the world as "glass half full".

I have enjoyed his RR and want to see it continue. So right now I am going to make a donation towards it. It's easy to be a "arm chair critic" and do nothing, but, like Dylan, lets be positive and put a little into it to help him continue his adventure!
Good luck buddy!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #204
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 725
Captain Dylan just posted update on his facebook so he is OK. I'll let him post his story on here later.. Just thought you guys would want to know he is OK!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #205
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the update,been looking daily,he really could use a guide-friend out on those waters.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #206
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am sorry guys for having to keep you waiting. But you gotta know that there is no internet cafes in the ocean :-)

Anyways, to cut a long story short: I had many breakdowns and I have been struggling to make progress. There were times I nearly gave up but I kept on fighting. It's all about adventure right?
But I am having hell of a time on my raft (in the positive sense) I can not write every encounter I make but believe me, I am so lucky to be able to experience the extraordinary. I feel like living now than ever.

I hope that you'll enjoy the following few lines.

…The wind was quite favorable. It came from the north and blew up my sail like a balloon. Waves were nothing more than usual and I had a steady speed of 5km per hour showing on my GPS. To my right hand side there was the largest island of the Perlas, Isla del Rey. The setting sun and the cloud formations of reddish tone made the evening to a very pretty one. I spent my time enjoying the landscape and occasionally correcting my course by adjusting the rudders. When the faint light of stars slowly started to appear in the sky, I lit up my stove and started to cook some spaghetti with some readymade sauce. That was about the best meal I had that evening enjoying it under the twinkling stars and listening to the wind. At around 10pm I had reached the point where I had to leave the Perlas and sail westward. Knowing that the next land I was to encounter still many hours away, I prepared my hammock to rest. First of all, I fixed the tiller with a rope keeping it straight and then changed the GPS warn signal to come only at 500 meters of any deviations from my set course. But the GPS alarm was too weak to wake me up in case I had fallen into deep sleep. So I also set the mobile phone alarm to ring every hour.
Around 1 o’clock in the night the wind started picking up and my GPS alarm started ringing. It showed me that my course had changed, drifting south. I intervened and changed the bow of my boat towards West and monitored the GPS track it drew on the display for a few minutes. But to my amazement, it did not bring any changes to my new course. I kept on drifting south and I was drifting off course very fast! Oh darn! I am caught up in a strong current!! I knew that I had to start up the engine. But even with the engine running, I was kept moving southward. After about two hours of fighting with the current, I decided to stop the struggle. There is the small but uninhabited island called Gallera to my south which was about 12 kilometers away. So I stopped the engine and let the current take me towards Gallera. I thought it was a good enough plan. The Spanish sailors I had met in Contadora told me that there are plenty of coconut trees and even bananas to take freely.
Toward early hours of the morning I reached Gallera. I was nervous! I am caught up in a strong current and being dragged towards an isolated island. There could be rocks and other obstacles which could cause a shipwreck. It was dark and I had no reliable maps on my GPS. There weren’t too many options left for me but to be ready to face any situation which I’ll be confronted with. So I put on the life jacket not only for the first time on this journey but for the first time in my life!

I had been trying hard to sight the island for a couple of hours but when it finally stood there in the dark in front of me, it was more like looking at an enemy who is holding you at gunpoint. All you need is to hit a rock and cut open couple of your barrels to be in deep trouble. Or worst still is to get dragged by a wave and get smashed against the cliffs. So I fired up the engine and started to navigate closer and ever so carefully. It was a slow process. Till there was faint light I circulated the small island looking for a place to anchor fighting forward with the current inch by inch. But no matter which side I was at, there were big waves on all sides. To the south of the island there were the biggest waves and I was getting the first taste of the open wide Pacific Ocean. However, towards the morning when things were visible, I had enough of living in fear. I came within 100 meters of the island and threw in my anchor hoping it would reach the bottom of the deep blue sea. The water swallowed all the rope I had and it didn’t take three seconds before I felt the vessel stood still in the strong current. From the feel of the rope I knew it caught a rock and it caught it solidly. There was my next fear. Will I be able to free the anchor? Before the sun rose, the moon peeked through the clouds and I was very tired and fell into a deep sleep until midday.

The Island of Gallera marked the boundary of the beginning of the deep open Pacific. Until that point I had not seen such large swells. Though I knew that my vessel would float above the water, the sight of swells over three or more meters high gave me shivers. But at the same time it was a magnificent sight! They came towards you like gentle giants. I watched them come towards me and when I was on top of one, I turned my head and watched them pass me running and smashing into the cliffs of Gallera with a thundering noise. Moments like this make you think about how big the universe really is and how small you really are. It makes you feel like an infant, it makes you feel like weak. It makes you feel like crying and it makes you start asking questions about who the hell you really are. Is there a God? What on Earth are you doing here in the middle of the ocean? And then you see the fin of a shark swimming about a 50 meters from your vessel. Oh shit! My anchor!!!! What if it’s stuck now and can’t free it? I’ll surely not go diving in this water to free it. But on the other hand, if you cut off the rope you’re left with no chance of anchoring yourself for the rest of your journey!
So I start the engine once again and with a terrible feeling inside of me. I rev the engine fast enough to keep up with the current so that the rope would be slacked. After two or three meters of bringing the rope back into the vessel my suspicion is confirmed by the tightness of the rope. It doesn’t want to free itself any further. So I bring my vessel to different positions and keep on trying for at least 20 minutes. There is no way that I could free this anchor! I take the machete into my hand while trying to catch my breath back. Cutting off the rope is the only way out! But then once I have enough oxygen in my bloodstream I start debating with myself. Give it another go Dylan! That’s the typical Dylan style. The fighter in me always calls me back on the stage. So I lay down the machete and start boxing my opponent. Instead of having my opponent against the rope, my opponent has become a rope. I try hard once again but this time I manage to free the anchor. Not without a cost. I have strained my back in the process! But who cares about it? I cry out loud in jubilation for about five minutes. I pump my arms in the air. These moments make you feel strong! You can conquer the universe. You can battle rocks and win and fight the ocean and it will not defeat you! You are the man Dylan! You are the man! I pat myself on the back with excitement. But in reality, I know that it was a close call and I have been extremely lucky! Once again!

Dylan.S screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 05:27 AM
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #207
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Hey there everyone!

Dylan called me last Saturday the 30th while I was still in Panama.
He was back in Panama City to get the sensor for his bike, then heading back out to the island.
He was is good spirit and positive as usual. He is still determined to get to Columbia and complete his journey with his boat.
However.....he did mention that he was not sure how much longer he would be able to continue his adventure due to all the extra costs and unforeseen expenses that the crossing has cost him.
I for one am keen to hear all of his story and follow him thru to the end. Unfortunately I am thinking that the "real time" part of this ride report will come to a end once he reaches land in South America.

I spent a few days with Dylan a couple months ago. I first hand seen and heard his passion for this trip. This is not just another ride report, this is his whole life! He took all he had, sold it, paid off all debt and headed out with what he had on his bike.

He puts his heart into every aspect of this adventure and always sees the world as "glass half full".

I have enjoyed his RR and want to see it continue. So right now I am going to make a donation towards it. It's easy to be a "arm chair critic" and do nothing, but, like Dylan, lets be positive and put a little into it to help him continue his adventure!
Good luck buddy!

Oh Phil! I am so touched by your supporting words!!! A big thank you to you my friend!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #208
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Do not underestimate a back pain,my first one was when I was 18 ,now 62.
Be careful and stretch your legs as they usually are the ones doing the damage.
Glad to hear you are well,maybe see you in Sri Lanka sometime.
Just an additional note and maybe someone with a pontoon boat will comment but I have an inflatable raft and was on the edge of a lake and those big pontoons acted like a sail, the wind came up, blew us out with the high speed boats.(not ski boats)

yokesman screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 12:42 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #209
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,124
contribution made

I met Dylan when he was up here in Alaska and was very impressed with him. I always enjoy meeting people with his sense of adventure. Take care Dylan and continue having safe and exciting journeys! Here's a warm hug from chilly Alaska: (HUG!!)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #210
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z70_nAqvcZM&feature=youtu.be

First I was dragged into the deeper waters of the Pacific out of Panamanian territory by strong currents. Then came a thunderstorm and I was left clueless as to how to get out of the situation. GPS was confused since I could not build up any authentic speed for it to recognize my direction of travels and I began to doubt believing in my compass since it started giving contradictory readings from different positions of my boat. Then came the Dolphins and I started following them. They guided me through the water where there were less currents until I found back my bearings.