User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #211
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Dolphins.......what the hell!

Man...........I am so envious. I have been close to them in Panama, but not that close with so many. My tatto is a dolphin and I just had a huge mural of a dolphin painted on the living room wall of the Uverito house.
Keep up the good work!
Always looking for your updates.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #212
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Man...........I am so envious. I have been close to them in Panama, but not that close with so many. My tatto is a dolphin and I just had a huge mural of a dolphin painted on the living room wall of the Uverito house.
Keep up the good work!
Always looking for your updates.
Phil, I think you ought to pedal out there couple of miles. I'm sure you'll see more of them

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #213
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been in Tropic Star Lodge for more than a week now. I enjoyed the company, kindness and the generosity of the people here too much and I felt at home and too comfortable to think about getting back on the sea. It’s not that I have become lazy or scared of further travels. It’s simply because the journey so far has taken so much energy out of my reserves. I sometimes sailed for two days none stop without a break. The ever present “engine malfunctioning” and the nature’s forces made me deviate off course a few times. Although I have a sail to back up my forward motion, I used it more often as a sunshade than anything else. The winds weren’t reliable to keep the course. Once it blew from the north and then it quickly changed to south. Then there was no wind for the whole day. When the engine refused to start, I took it apart each time searching for faults.

Now the armchair critics out there might say “It’s salt water that make things go wrong and I knew it so”. But in reality, the malfunctions had nothing to do with salt water! The Timing Sensor Unit, Oil Pleasure Switch, The Starter Motor, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Broken Cables, Leaky Engine Oil Filler Cap and subsequently, a Lost Engine Oil Filler Cap were some of dilemmas I had to face at sea. Trying to repair an engine at sea on a rocking boat is bad enough. But it was also more time consuming than on land. When there was a prevailing trouble, you could not afford to crank the engine with the starter motor more than couple of seconds. If it started, everything was fine. When it didn’t you had to go through whole system again and again before you used the starter motor, simply because you could not afford to rundown the battery minimizing your chances of a repair.
When I finally reached the mainland coast of the Darien, I spent two days contemplating whether I should continue towards Colombia or go back to Panama City. In fact, there were a few times I gave up my journey towards Colombia for it seemed an impossible task to achieve. But there was this “one last try” plus “undying positive thinking” which kept me in forward motion. However, the fuel I carried wasn’t enough to get me through to Colombia. So I sailed 60km North in the opposite direction, to a small jungle village called Brujas to obtain more fuel. 60km may not sound much. But when you are on a vessel which travels at 3km per hour, it becomes a long long journey. Once in Brujas I was faced with even a bigger problem. The 1000 dollars I had withdrawn in Panama City had been reduced to 350. Shocking news! When I checked the receipt, it became evident than the ATM had given me only 500 instead of the 1000 I had asked for. Once I paid 150 Dollars for the fuel in Brujas, which would only get me less than one third of the way to Colombia, the money in my pocket was not sufficient to complete my journey. The nearest and only ATM being in Panama City, I seriously began to doubt my luck. When it comes to adventure, logics play a secondary role! Luck and self-confidence becomes the key to your success! So I set forth my journey towards Colombia believing in my “luck”.

In a place called Punta Garachine, I faced problems with Fuel Filter. Since I had no replacement, all I could do was to take out the old filter and clean it and put it back. Starting of the engine became ever difficult once again due to an unexplainable reason. The sparks were irregular so was the fuel injection. After going through the whole system, I took out the starter motor and dismantled it. Unbelievably, the trouble was due to a loose metal plate rubbing the armature and shortening out the complete electrical system! I made provisional repaires in MacGyver style and rested in a protected bay of Punta Garachine for two days. Friendly fishermen came and spoke with me a few words. Some of them offered me fish and encouragement boosting my morals in a lonely sea. On the third night about three o’clock in the morning, I was woken up by vigorous rocking movement. When I opened my eyes I was blinded by a light. It took a couple of seconds for me to realize that there was something really wrong. The light was not supposed to be there. It was the lighthouse which should have been at least two kilometers from where I had anchored. The anchor which held it’s ground for two days had come loose and I was taken down with the currents to where there were big breaking waves. It was the biggest nightmare of this tour! I frantically pulled in the anchor which came onto the boat with a tangled fishing net. Luckily I had fallen asleep with my headlamp still wearing on my forehead which made things a little easier. Once the anchor was on the deck, I fired up the engine and to my amazement, it started promptly. But when I accelerated the engine, it died with a laboring noise. I immediately knew it could only be one thing. Something caught up in my propeller!!!! I had no option but to jump into the wild water with a knife in my hand to free the propeller. Once in the water, I found a thick rope caught around the shaft and between the bearing and the propeller. The rope looked a familiar one and it felt as if there was a weight on it! I started cutting the rope frantically and unwinding it as much as I could. Soon I realized the rope was my own anchor rope. The problem had been, when I pulled in the anchor the first time, the fishing net which was caught in it had dragged it back into the water and without me realizing it got caught in the propeller.
But once I had freed the propeller from the rope and salvaged my anchor back into the boat, it was time for me to open up the throttle and get the hell out of there before my vessel was overturned by the near breaking waves. I tried to get back to the safe bay where you had some protection against waves and wind. But the currents and waves made it impossible to gain momentum. Each time I got passed the lighthouse I was dragged back into the rough sea and after three attempts I stopped the battle. I decided to go back into the open ocean where there were no breaking waves. Finally when there was light, I saw my bleeding arms and legs scratched by the sharp barnacles on the propeller and the underside of the boat. But I was extremely thankful for learning another lesson and that it all ended with just minor injuries and without losing the boat altogether…….

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #214
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
This is turning into a saga on the seas adventure, maybe taking the overland route through the Darien would be easier.

Goodluck with it all. Do ride the old road to Cali out of Buenaventura, Colombia- it's a good one
Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #215
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
This is turning into a saga on the seas adventure, maybe taking the overland route through the Darien would be easier.

Goodluck with it all. Do ride the old road to Cali out of Buenaventura, Colombia- it's a good one
Oh Throttlemeister! Real adventurers are not interested in easier ways

Adventure is about experiencing the extraordinary!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #216
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 769
Dylan.S What is happening with your adventure trip?? Are you going to continue or are you done? You have went too far to quit and I really would love it if you can make it to South America and travel there! Perhaps some guys on here can give you some helpful ideas and/or advice?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #217
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
Oh Throttlemeister! Real adventurers are not interested in easier ways

Adventure is about experiencing the extraordinary!
Thinking you would have more of an Adventure trying to ride the Darien than floating the bike, they don't call this site ADVrider for nothing

I've found my fair share of adventure, to each his own.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #218
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Where is Dylan the adventurer?
yokesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #219
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
On facebook, word was he left the Tropic Star Lodge around April 22nd, sailing away for Columbia.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #220
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Laugh He did it!!!!!

His Facebook update says that he made it across the Darrien! WOW, great job buddy!
Can't wait for the update when you get your land legs back!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #221
flyingturtle
n00b

Oddometer: 6
awesome
flyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #222
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post

For two days I've been under the wrong impression of being alone until I discover this new friend. I baptize him with the name Wilson.
Its not quite a tiger, but it will have to do.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #223
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckg2ny_RdtE

Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #224
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,914