Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #226
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 519
What an astonishing achievement. I'm gobsmacked you managed to get that rig as far as you did - congratulations
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #227
Jadon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
What an adventure! I may be wrong, but I don't think you realize the magnitude of your achievements.

"The Courage of Bridget."

You have honored your mother indeed.

Travel safely.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #228
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
way to go!

trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #229
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I'm breathless.

Dylan, your photos are amazing. Why not support yourself by selling some prints? I would definitely buy some large size pics you made, they are astonishing!

I bet a lot of them could easily land on the next year's HU calendar.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #230
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Thinking you would have more of an Adventure trying to ride the Darien than floating the bike, they don't call this site ADVrider for nothing

I've found my fair share of adventure, to each his own.
So what you are saying is that my ocean adventure isn't as adventurous as those who rode the Darien? Don't worry, I am not upset. Let's have a drink

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #231
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After six weeks since the beginning of my ocean adventure, this morning I arrived safely in Buenaventura. Since the conditions and the situations I ran into at sea were too difficult to continue on Courage of Bridget, I had to abandon her on a small but a beautiful beach in North Colombia and make my way down south on a cargo ship. Stories and experiences I encountered on this amazing journey are too many to mention. But when the time permits, I shall be updating those tales and about those beautiful moments.
Thank you for those who cared about me and thank you to those friends who wrote me supporting words! Thank you to those who thought I was crazy but who knew I had what it takes to come out alive

Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #232
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I waited one day and one night for this. Staring at big waves and trying to figure out what would be the best way to land my raft on the beach without getting it overturned. The amount of force the open Pacific Ocean generated was fearsome. The Bay of Ardita was too small to dampen its energy. Instead, two or more meters high waves swept through to the beach with full power leaving the whole beach covered with a white foam and the tall trees and the vegetation in the background disappeared behind a curtain of sea mist. There was a constant thundering noise. The frequency of the waves was unbelievably short. On an average, they couldn’t have been more than 15 meters apart. So I constantly observed the ocean trying to determine whether there will be a 10 second break where I could land my raft safely on the beach. I counted them many times. There seems to be a small gap, on an average, after every thirteenth wave. If I could time it right and with a bit of luck I might get away, may be with just small injuries. But under no circumstances I wanted to see my raft capsize.
So I radioed the friendly army commanding officer if he could send some soldiers who could help me pull the raft out of the water. At one O’clock in the afternoon, I noticed that the ocean swells were getting smaller. So I fired up the engine and circled the bay counting waves but keeping a healthy distance from their breaking point. The soldiers started to gather on the beach and they waited with anticipation and the small village consisting of 15 families stood outside of their houses and watched the crazy maneuver of this strangest looking vessel. When I made the decision to go for it, there was an absolute silence. I heard the sound of my own heartbeat. I ran the raft tightly behind a wave but my raft was too slow to keep up with it. When I turned my head I noticed that the next wave had already started to build up. I revved the engine and talked to Bruce, “come on boy! We can do it!!” Then I felt the rear end of the raft lifting and it must have been at least 60 degrees and we accelerated to the same speed of the wave. I feared that the bow of the raft going to dig into the sand. We surfed with the wave for a couple of seconds and then the raft was back to horizontal position. I powered the vessel just enough to achieve the maximum speed. As we got closer to the beach, the soldiers started running towards us. They all started pushing the raft towards the beach with all the energy they had. It was an unbelievable sensation.
We made it Bruce! We made it!

Dylan.S screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 07:06 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #233
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

photo: Approaching the ciy of Cali from Buenaventura

…….Getting the visa to Colombia wasnīt a hassle. But getting the motorcycle documents sorted out became a tricky business. I walked into a few offices and each time they sent me to a different one. After a day of running around in Buenaventura I had not achieved a lot. My biggest problem was the communication part. Most of the time they simply didnīt understand what I wanted. Since Buenaventura isnīt a majour tourist entry point, the officials didnīt have a proper knowledge about what or how should my motorcycle be registered here in Colombia. But the Colombians officials themselves were very friendly at all times regardless of their terribly complicated burocracy. At one point I was nearly denied the access to a government office building simply because I was wearing rubber slippers or flip flops. But once they realized that I was a foreigner, they let me enter the building.
On the second day I was making progress. I was sent to the council office and asked to write a request that I be granted a permit to use my motorcycle in Colombia during my stay. I walked seven stories high more than a dozen times. They love photocopies in Colombia. Each time they needed a photocopy, I walked seven stories down and seven stories up. After waiting for several hours I was sent to another office about a kilometer away which looked to me like the justice department. Again it took a while until they figured out which office room I needed. When I entered the respective office room, the seņora who supposed to take care of my case looked busy at her desk with her back against me. She indeed had a fine figure with beautiful curves and she certainly knew that herself with the choice of cloths she wore. When I got her attention and when she turned around I was gobsmacked by her beauty. The pink colour blouse she wore gave a lot of contrast to her beautiful face and her dark hair. But it was the undone buttons below breast level what caught my eyes. I began to lose concentration and I couldnīt quite decide where I should fix my eyes. With a beautiful smile she asked me in Spanish "how can I help you Seņor". I answered in English "senora, I need heeling!" and hoped that it becomes a long waiting process in this office...

Dylan.S screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 06:58 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #234
MotoProf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
A spectacular achievement. After finishing Dylan's ride report from page 1 to last, I forlornly searched around for a new adventure worth reading about. I began reading about a trip across Russia by a duo, billed as the "most extreme" of adventures, with a ton of views, but alas, I was disappointed. What I saw was pics of girls, sponsorships, fast riding, and alcohol. Maybe I did not give the story enough time, but I felt a certain standard had been missed, a standard for adventuring and for reporting adventure, that was so evident in this ride report. That standard speaks to character: ingenuity, stubbornness, humility, emotion.
Well done.
MotoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #235
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Deep in the Darien Jungle, on the Pacific coast lies the Bay of Pina. It’s the home of the world number one ranked five star fishing resort “Tropic Star Lodge”. The management welcomed the crazy adventurer riding a Boatercycle. Fed him a week long took him fishing and gave 30 gallons of fuel and other bits and pieces for the road..err..I mean “ocean”. Usually the clients who go there fishing pay more than 1000 dollars a day. Here I caught my first fish ever. A bit small in size but it wasn’t bad for a beginner.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 08:23 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #236
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was given two men by the Tropic Star Lodge management for this particular journey. One as a guide and the other as a translator. First we were taken by a boat and dropped off at a certain point. From there onwards it was all by foot. A few hundred meters were easy. Once we reached the police post, our identities were verified by the police and then there was radio communication between two different posts. I asked my translator as to what the fuss is all about. There have been attacks taking place by some Colombian paramilitary groups in the area. Since we were in the jungle, the police had to make sure that all troops knew our presence and that we were coming through. The last thing we want is the police to take us as unlawful paramilitary group members. It took about 20 minutes for the police to finish the task and give us the go-ahead. My guide led us through a small path through dense vegetation over two hills. Sometimes crossing small streams, slipping and sliding in the mud compact path and getting stung by sharp vines and small plants with stings. Stepping over massive big fallen trees and at times creeping through undergrowth, the hike lasted about an hour. At the end of our walk we had reached a river. Through the mangroves we made our way sticking in deep mud towards a dugout canoe which was waiting for us. The canoe ride was about 15 minutes. Two of them pedaled through the shallow river towards …….

Can anyone guess where I was going to? Next couple of photos were taken as we progressed through the jungle.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 08:39 PM
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #237
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckwheels View Post
A spectacular achievement. After finishing Dylan's ride report from page 1 to last, I forlornly searched around for a new adventure worth reading about. I began reading about a trip across Russia by a duo, billed as the "most extreme" of adventures, with a ton of views, but alas, I was disappointed. What I saw was pics of girls, sponsorships, fast riding, and alcohol. Maybe I did not give the story enough time, but I felt a certain standard had been missed, a standard for adventuring and for reporting adventure, that was so evident in this ride report. That standard speaks to character: ingenuity, stubbornness, humility, emotion.
Well done.
Thanks Redneckwheels! I appreciate your praise. I asked myself, is it worth doing a RR here. I mean, compared to other ride reports and the feedback they receive, I feel my RR is pretty much neglected. I almost stopped doing a RR here, but then again I found a handful of people like you who gave me lot of positive energy! Thank you my friend!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #238
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
I'm breathless.

Dylan, your photos are amazing. Why not support yourself by selling some prints? I would definitely buy some large size pics you made, they are astonishing!

I bet a lot of them could easily land on the next year's HU calendar.
Thanks buddy! Tell me which picture you want I'll email it to you. I'm not sure about selling them. But if you'd like to make a contribution, I will not argue with you

Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #239
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
Thanks Redneckwheels! I appreciate your praise. I asked myself, is it worth doing a RR here. I mean, compared to other ride reports and the feedback they receive, I feel my RR is pretty much neglected. I almost stopped doing a RR here, but then again I found a handful of people like you who gave me lot of positive energy! Thank you my friend!
You are the first person who built their own boatercycle to cross the Darien Gap, not an insignificant achievement. Keep on going.
WarLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #240
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream.

Paulo Coelho

Thank you Dylan

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote