Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #316
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 560
Hooray. Good to see you back at it. Thanks for taking us along again.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #317
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
Hooray. Good to see you back at it. Thanks for taking us along again.
Thanks pal!

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #318
enceladus
no preocuparse

Oddometer: 41
When in Colombia

Good to hear Bruce is alive again. When you get a little further south dont miss the small town of San Agustin. Its one of best places in Colombia. From there its best to go southwest to Pasto and cross into Ecuador at Ipiales.
It is possible to cross by going thru Mocca and then La Hormiga but I dont recommend it. Its a very bad road but the worst of it is the border officals on the Ecuador side have a shakedown scheme set up and have been ripping people off for years.

Good luck
Ron
enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #319
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
"When everything goes wrong, that is when the adventure begins"

Dylan, from a fellow broke moto traveler who is also a mechanic and grew up on McGyver also forced to put his dream on hold to earn paper I commend you! After 26,000 miles and a year on the road not to mention many stories, mishaps and close calls I thought I had balls and was an adventurer. Ha! I can see I have many more miles, struggles, smiles and adventures to live on my way to patagonia. Like yours my RR never got much attention or praise here and I received 0 support from readers and still don't. If it wasn't for my family, a few friends and the hand full of people I met on the road I wouldn't have made it this far. You're absolutely right when you said that the people you meet on the road are what make the adventure. My trip gave me hope for humanity at least in part. I gotta say when I read your plans to build a motoboat to cross the darien I nearly spit beer all over my screen but totally related to the crazy idea. Mad props to sticking with the german pile and it doesn't surprise me one bit that you haven't gotten as much as a free screw from them. I've had much better luck with "Marla" my piece of shit japanese KLR as the austrian and german crowd likes to refer to them. But here we are 31,000 miles strong and she rides as good as new and most importantly has never left me walking.

I just wanted to say that even being unemployed, completely broke and homeless at the moment. Sitting in a couch at a shady volunteer situation in northen utah with 2ft of snow outside while hopelessly trying to figure a way to head south come spring. By sharing your adventure you've not only put a huge smile on my face but refueled my fire to keep going, to keep searching, to keep pushing the boundaries and crossing the lines of what they call "life". Most importantly to keep riding and following that gut that is oh so wise.

Safe travels my friend! And may the road bless you many more adventures!

I leave you with a quote I thought you might like.....

Hessian

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”

Sterlin, Hayden "Wanderer"

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #320
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh maaaaannnn! Why is it that when you are so happy something nasty has to happen????
After repairing Bruce I started cleaning up the top box then I noticed a brown sediment which looked like dried up soy sauce though I wasn't carrying any. Halfway through I had to go for a quick pee. When I got back to work I started feeling this pain around my private parts but I kept on cleaning the top box till I found the bear spray that I had been carrying since Alaska. It had leaked completely!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #321
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The biker club in Bogota presenting me the honorary membership with a T-shirt and the logo. Requirements to qualify for membership among other things is a walk through the long line of senior members and getting kicks and punches from which I was exempted.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #322
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The starter mortor of Bruce had been giving me trouble since I started sailing the Pacific. There were many instances when it didn't work. I had to dismantle it about three times at sea and always managed to make it work. At one point, the plastic plate behind the brush spring fell into the sea and went down to the bottom faster than I could dive after it. So I had to replace it with some other plastic junk I found in my MacGyver box.
After having done all the work getting Bruce back on the road, the next trouble didn't wait long to greet me. Two days ago the starter failed completely. But hey, as that saying goes, "fortune favours the brave" I didn't have to wait long. This gentleman who's posing with me rode his BMW 1150 Sport and tells me to remove his starter and put it on Bruce. Don't you feel that this kind of stories are hard to believe? Do you think I give a damn about if you believe it or not?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #323
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Hessian42;23036633]
"When everything goes wrong, that is when the adventure begins"

Hessian, Thanks for that! I absolutely agree with your slogan. "When everything goes wrong, that's when the true adventure begins". Actually, I like to see it this way. When things don't happen the way you like it, doesn't mean it has gone wrong. It's another opportunity that life offers you to make it exciting!

Live life as if no one owes you anything. Live life as if you owe the world everything. I believe in Karma. I believe in giving. In these three years of travels,I have never ignored a single motorist or any other person who could need my help on the road. I even carried lot more parts and bits and pieces than I need, thinking that I may be able to help another person. My friend, it's always keep coming back to me! this is my message to the world!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #324
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,110
Where's Dylan......???

I gotta bump you back to the first page to remind you to bring us back up to date. What have you been doing....I hope you're not in jail because you skipped some permit.

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #325
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Ratman;23118225]I gotta bump you back to the first page to remind you to bring us back up to date. What have you been doing....I hope you're not in jail because you skipped some permit.

Oh darn! I have totally neglected my adventurers with my updates Thanks for the reminder Ratman! Gotta lotta catching up then!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #326
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

26th December

After waiting for so long in Bogota I started my ride towards south yesterday. It was a beautiful ride on a sunny day through some of Colombian nicest landscapes. The freedom I felt to be back on the road & the feeling of the journey was unbelievable. But things didn't go that smoothly as you can see it in my photos. I decended 2400 meters back to almost sea level and then on the way to Cali there were some serious climbs up to 3200 meters above sea. But about half way into the climb I started feeling the most dreaded things which you can feel as a mechanic: the clutch slip!!! From there onwards I knew that I had to take things easy. Still more than three hundred kilometers to reach Cali on steep raods in some places more than 12%, I started creepin along the road with no more than 1/4 theottle open & avoiding clutch use to save any more damage to the components. But when I reached Cali, things were again on my side. I was greeted by a friendly family who opened their luxury home for me & took me out for dinner & made arrangements to find a place to take old Bruce apart.....

Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #327
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After taking the bike apart I managed to get the clutch relined in Cali withing two hours for 25 dollars compared to 250 dollars for a new one and delivery time of 3 days.

The problem with the clutch wasn't exactly wear and tear. One of the oil seals had become faulty and the clutch got unwanted smearing. BMW again told me that this costs 20 Dollars and delivery time 3 days. But searched the town and found the same oil seal for fifty cents

I worked on the bike one whole day till late in the evening and got the bike repaired. John ( in the blue T-shirt on far left)the owner of the workshop who let me work there was immense help and became a good friend who admires adventure.

This is one of the living rooms of Jaidos fancy house.

Jaido's maid making me a drink for breakfast.

Despite breakdowns, I was fortunate enough to find a decent bed...

And Jaido looked after me too well feeding me and providing anything I needed during my stay.

The gaping hole.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 02:16 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #328
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally I was on the move hoping to get out of Colombia. As I was trying to get out of the chaotic city Cali a good portion of the day had already gone wasted. Since I hadn't been able to be online I was searching for connection.
I met these guys on the road at a traffic lights. I asked Raul (on the right) if he knew where I find wifi. He takes me to his house & gives me food for the road. These Colombians are super nice!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #329
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

***Life is like that***

The day before I set sail on my raft towards Colombia, I met up with Jerome the Frenchman at a bar who provided me a place and tools to work on my raft. He is an excellent and experienced sailor and he showed lot of concerns over my safety.
“The ocean can turn from calm to fearsome within couple of hours. I have been caught up in storms many times. You can hardly do anything but just sit and wait in the cabin. There were two occasions my boat even rolled over completely” he went on.
“If you were inside, how do you know that your boat rolled over” I asked Jerome.

“Well, I was sitting on the ceiling for a short while!” came the answer.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #330
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 560
Happy New Year Dylan