Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #332
Ed
Which way did he go?

Oddometer: 201
Dylan, I just caught up with your RR. Yours is an inspiring and amazing journey. I wish you the best of luck for your future travels.

Where in the world is Ed? My Spot page.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #333
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Inspiring journey!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share.

Good luck on the bike repairs.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #334
TropicalDale
Lonely Rider

Oddometer: 75
Dylan,
Thanks for the update. I love reading about your adventures.
When you are done with this journey you should write a book.
I will be the first to buy it.
TropicalDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #335
SLACKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
paypal info

I am reading your RR with great pleasure.......Truly inspiring in it's scope and detail...........I tried to send a contribution of a few dollars, but am having trouble......rather paypal illiterate that I am.......Is there an email address associated with your paypal account?
Smooth sailing/riding etc etc.........
SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #336
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Great to hear you have gotten back and on the road again. Now that you have torn the bike down to bare bones, hopefully Bruce will stay fixed for a lot longer between fixes. Would it be possible for you to post a wishlist of parts that you may foresee a need for or if in a pinch but having time would allow the inmates following your RR to mail you stuff? I had 3 sight glasses I could have shipped you for instance. Of course your mailing address would change but if you were stuck somewhere, would it matter? I know that I would look out for ya, I'm sure other inmates wouldn't mind dropping a few $ and parts to see this happen for you.
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #337
enceladus
no preocuparse

Oddometer: 42
Hello from Mexico

Hope all is well and we are all looking forward to your next updates.

Good Luck

Ron
enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #338
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 512
Just finished this report, most excellent!

Can't believe you didn't open the can first

I hope you are well Dylan, it's been a couple of months.
Junyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #339
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 680
WOW

Late to join the party. What a party it has been!
You think outside the box, a big,big, big box!
Subscribed and all in.
You definitely take solo adventure to a new level!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #340
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My intention was to ride as close to the Ecuador border as possible. But once I reached a small town called Timbio, I was warned by a few people that the route is dangerous. Couple of different people gestured to me with pulling the trigger of a gun and said don´t ride at night. So I proceeded till I found a fuel station and camped for the night. It was a well deserved rest. However, around 3 a.m. I heard the bike crashing to the ground and the sound of a truck reversing. I feared the worst. Screeming on top of my voice I ran out of the tent. By then the truck driver had already realized his mistake and started driving off. I was so lucky that he didn´t flatten the tent and myself in it!

There may be scientists who will have a scientific definition of the word beauty. If you ask me the same question I have a simpler answer. It's whatever makes you feel good. Region between Pasto and Ipales. Colombia

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #341
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It wasn't without fear that I crossed the border into Ecuador yesterday. Six months ago when I left Bruce in Bogota meant Bruce has been an illegal alien in Colombia. When I last entered Colombia, the requirement was that I take the motorcycle out of the country upon my departure. But I didn't stick to that plan. The insurance policy for the bike covered it only during the 90 days of my previous arrival. So this time I was up to dodgy business. Riding more than 900km without being legal on the road required extra attention. In an event of getting involved in an road accident is as good as throwing everything out of the window. But getting pulled up by the police at a random check points could be overcome by dubious means. Since the renewal of the insurance wasn't possible without proper papers, I decided to extend it myself using the printer at home. (Photo) The original dates mentioned on the certificate were from 2013. 05. 12 till 2013. 08. 12
In my office at home I managed to extend it till 2014. 03. 12 It's amazing what you can do with simple printers nowadays!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #342
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #343
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The local farmers transported the harvest to the main road, blocked half of it by placing big rocks leaving only one lane for traffic from both direction...

... so they produced a sand and dust free surface to separate the chaff from the grain.

(Farmers working in North Ecuador)

North Ecuador

The streets of Quito reminded me of San Francisco with it's steep inclines but the culture and the history of the two cities are world apart.

Built in the year 1600 La Compañía is a magnificent piece of architecture. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I managed before they told me that I wasn't supposed to photograph. Quito.

I climbed from 400m altitude to 3400m within an hour taking the unpaved rugged road. The beauty is never ending.

Riding lonely roads of Ecuador.

The young doctor was in trouble at the top of a pass on a deserted and unpaved road. She didn't know how to change the spare wheel. I guess her guardian angel must have ordered me to take the same road.

Heading down south into Peru I took the wrong road but landed in this pretty little town. Everybody was enjoying themselves and it was carnival atmosphere. One part of me said I should look for a hostel and stay and enter the new year with celebration of firecrackers...

... but I decided against it. I wanted to ride a little more further closer to Peru border. But I didn't know what I was getting myself into. After about 20 minutes of riding, the heavens opened. I had climbed back up to 3400 meters above sea level and it was pouring with rain. But I continued hoping that the rain would stop soon. But it persisted for a long time until I had climbed back to 1000 meters level. As soon as I spotted the dry ground realizing that it hadn't been raining there, I kept my eyes open for a suitable place to spend the night. So I spent my new years eve under the stars alone surrounded by steep mountains in south Ecuador.

When I woke up I couldn't believe my eyes how arid the area was. There were hardly any plants compared to the previous day of riding. Withing a few kilometers the landscape had changed completely...

... apart from cactus and a few bushes, there was no other vegetation to be found here. This at 1000 meters above sea? No wonder why I couldn't drive any pegs into the ground to fix my tent. It was all rocky!

Arid landscape but pretty. South Ecuador

I met these two bikers of Ecuador at the border crossing into Peru. They were riding towards Bolivia to see Paris Dakar rally. Unlike many other nights, I didn't have to spend time in solitude. We had a great night. Went out to eat in a good restaurant and then booked ourselves into a hostel and slept in comfort for a change. I thought I was in a hurry doing my South American trip. But they were travelling even faster. Next day I woke up early to say goodbye to them. But we were hoping to catch up later somewhere down the road.

The deeper you entered Peru the straighter it became. The roads stretched as far as your eye could see. Lush green vegetation you saw in the north slowly thinned out and the sand, rocks and desolate landscape filled the picture.

I rode a painful 600km on this day. I shot this photo as things were still bearable. The side wind grew ever stronger and my riding style became that of a stuntman leaning against the wind by at least 30 degrees and sand finding it's way up every opening. Four long hours of agony in a sandstorm!

I was glad when the "zona de dunas" were behind me. The wind was still persistent but sand free!

A green patch of north coast of Peru. I never knew Peru had rice paddies.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 01:37 AM
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #344
enceladus
no preocuparse

Oddometer: 42
Ron in Mazatlan

Glad to see your update. Just a small request, when you get to the end of your journey in South America, don't try to sail Bruce to Africa. hahaha
Ron
enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #345
Theshantha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hi Dylan, this is amazing.. I'm proud of you as a Sri Lankan. one of my dream is going BAM road tour. (like walter) when you back to SL give a call brother. 0777 318805.

Deyange pihitai... - Theshan
Theshantha is offline   Reply With Quote