Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #76
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200

I don't know about statistics. But Honduras must be one of the poorest nations on this planet. Large majority of the houses that saw were just small huts. But the smiles they wear are priceless. The little two fairies showed me how it's done.

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #77
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Repairing a flat tire. Though I was able to trot along to a tire repair shop, I ended up doing 80% of the work. The work quality was extremely poor and they worked carelessly. A biker who didn't have a clue about repairing a puncture, wouldn't have gone too far before getting the next. But, the boys learnt some invaluable lessons from me about tire repairs which came with a two dollar payment.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 08:14 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #78
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nobody wanted to show their faces to the camera. The illegal goods in the hands might get them a criminal record was their fear. Exotic lizards were sold to motorists at the roadside by these youngsters in Honduras. May be you might be quick enough to condemn what they do. But try to see the reality of things! When food is a scarcity and you have to put up a fight for survival, saving wild life isn't on the top of your agenda.
As I rode along those rural areas of Honduras, kids stood at the road side and stretched their hands out, begging gesturing that they are hungry. I began to ask myself, is it necessary to burn so much fuel and ride around the world when so many kids are left out there for begging?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #79
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When I came out of the immigration office, I see the bike fallen down to the ground. After picking up I notice the reason. The side stand is broken and it was ready to be packed in one of the panniers. Next few stops before the repair, I had to park the bike using walls, lamp posts and big rocks.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #80
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,679
Wow!

Good thing it did not break while you were getting off the bike trapping the left leg.

An IT tech friend from Guyana told me that the north east corner of SA is quite poor as it is so remote.

I'm working my way through your blog, well written.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #81
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

*Struck By Disaster*

It's down to one man and one horse-power. With a friend I met along the way, I rode out into a deserted part of the area. Our intention was to get close to a volcano and then later go out swimming in one of those crater lakes. After having completed around 30km in some of the toughest riding conditions, Bruce decided to stand still and that with a big noise too! My gearbox is gone!
Here in the photo you see me trying to move the bike close to civilization so that I could find a vehicle to transport the bike. Unfortunately, the poor horse only managed about two meters. The sand was too deep and also the rear wheel wasn't moving freely.
At this moment in time, I can not give you more info. But definitely, a majour repair is coming my way!

Friends!

Do you know anyone who can help me in Nicaragua? I can repair the bike myself (hopefully) ButBMW parts? Any special tools that's needed? Is anyone out there who knows people in Leon, Nicaragua where I can work? Would be great if you can help me. I have very little funds to continue and can't afford to stay in hotels or hostels. I'm going to start working on the bike tomorrow morning to have a look what exactly gone wrong. May be transport the bike to Costa Rica where the chances are better than here in Nicaragua? I simply don't know. May be there's someone out there who can advice me.

What went wrong. I was riding some rough road, deep sand, big bumps and etc. All of a sudden a big sound, like hammer hitting metal from the gearbox area and the feel was as if the gear teeth were jumping. The rear wheel does not turn free even when it's in the neutral. Any remote diagnose before I take it apart?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #82
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
get in touch with adv inmate "Salcar" he is in Africa right now but usually very quick to respond, he's from the Managua area and knows everyone around there and other places in Nica (he owns Nica Motors), he will be able to find you someone with a few phone calls...send him a PM

good luck...
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #83
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
Dylan, you forgot to share the story I read on other riding report over at KLR forum about your cooking chicken immediately after you and other riders saw the bear walking away from the campsite in Coldfoot, AK (I think if the location is correct?). The other guys weren't sure if you were crazy or stupid or brave! I laughed when I read that story and you should share your side of it.. these guys were terrified but to their surprise the bear never came back.. But you want to know this that the guy admit he normally doesn't like the spice you added to the chicken but with your cooking you changed his mind so that is a compliment for you!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #84
Earth
I Break Fixed Stuff

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
...The rear wheel does not turn free even when it's in the neutral. Any remote diagnose before I take it apart?
Sorry to read this, friend.
Obviously you won't know what's wrong until you perform the surgery but I'd start at the final drive unit. There are ring and pinion-style gears in there but also a few universal joints on a driveshaft along with splined end shafts. Hopefully you blew a spline or U-joint in the driveshaft and nothing in the gearbox!

Sorry again for your driveline failure but everything happens for a reason...
Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #85
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
get in touch with adv inmate "Salcar" he is in Africa right now but usually very quick to respond, he's from the Managua area and knows everyone around there and other places in Nica (he owns Nica Motors), he will be able to find you someone with a few phone calls...send him a PM

good luck...

Thanks Paul! I'll give it a try and see what'll come out of it.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #86
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth View Post
Sorry to read this, friend.
Obviously you won't know what's wrong until you perform the surgery but I'd start at the final drive unit. There are ring and pinion-style gears in there but also a few universal joints on a driveshaft along with splined end shafts. Hopefully you blew a spline or U-joint in the driveshaft and nothing in the gearbox!

Sorry again for your driveline failure but everything happens for a reason...

I'd like to think that it's not the gear box. I'll know tomorrow for sure when I take the drive-line to bits. The big question is, why does it block the rear wheel when the gear in neutral position? Hm.....

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #87
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Having fun with Bruce a couple of hours before the gearbox failure.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:39 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #88
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was all cattle land. The road was about one foot deep in dust. When the cattle walked onto the road, we were forced to take a break. Not that we couldn't pass them. But they kicked up so much dust in the air that we couldn't see the road.

When Bruce broke down, my friend wanted to tow Bruce towards the road where we might get some help. But I knew it was a bad idea. In this torturous condition towing a bike means putting the towing vehicle under too much pressure.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #89
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After we tried to tow the bike with the horse, we gave up the towing idea and Smuel rode off to look for a pick-up truck to give Bruce a piggy back. Gauchos came and left and I killed time by kicking dust in the air.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:37 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #90
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally an ambulance for Bruce! We dropped the bike off at a garage in the city of Leon and told the mechanic that I'll be there tomorrow in the morning to start work. The truck driver dropped me off at a hostel and left. Later in the evening only I realized that I don't have a clue where about we dropped Bruce off. I know it's about in a two kilometer radius from the hostel. I'm going to have a long day tomorrow and I have no idea how many kilometers I'll be walking before I find Bruce.