Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
TheVikingRider
mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Phil View Post
These vests look cool!
I've not tried one out....yet.

Does the vest have a pocket for a hydration bladder?

Besides weight distribution and lots of pockets why is the vest better(for you) than a backpack?

Any comments on sizing?
I'm 5'9", average size gut

Capacity of any pack or bag can be a slippery slope....more room usually means more stuff.......

It comes with a 2 liter bladder and the pocket seems big enough for a 3 liter. As far as the size, its one size fits all so there is a lot of adjustment. I think it would fit anywhere from a medium to xxl.

I like the fact that all the weight isnt on your back. You can evenly distribute the weight front and back, and with a standard back pack you have to take it off to get to your stuff.

With the ogio you got easy access to the stuff in the front pockets (camera, goggles, tools ect).
Old 12-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 904
Ortlieb - waterproof

I use an Ortlieb COR13... it's very waterproof, but getting a 3L hydration pack in there would be tough. I use a 2L GEIGERRIG, and it's a pretty tight fit in the part that's sectioned for hydration.
I'm mentioning it because it's tough, and well-made, and if waterproofness (is that a word?) is high on your list, you should consider it.
(I own some Osprey packs [not waterproof] and I've been happy with their quality- I would never hesitate to buy Osprey.)

http://www.ortliebusa.com/prod-148.htm
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Ogio

Plus 100 for the Ogio. Throw away those back packs and tool rolls that don't displace all that weight and then cause back pain. It comes with a 70z bladder that can be changed out for one of your choice. Enough storage capacity that you might be looking for stuff to carry that you usually would not think of. Excellent dispersal of weight that dissapears after you have it on for a while. Fits well with my Alpine stars pressure suit or my fox chest protector. Adjustable enough to fit over my KTM water proof jacket with said protection undeneath. It will provide some protection in the event of a dirt knap. I can attest to that. It is not H2O proof, but line or wrap your contents in plastic and all is well. One of those " i should have gotten in the first place".
Hope this helps.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ulics/manta_25
They also make a manta 30. The 25 is perfect for me as I do single track. Also made in Cortez colorado
Osprey makes great packs. Unfortunately they have not made them in Cortez for quite a while. All production is in Vietnam last I checked.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Yep, I like my manta 30. not made in the US but made in Vietnam as mentioned above.
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 216
I use a Kriega 25 and love it. Easy to adjust and you just don't know its there. I'm pretty sure it isn't water proof though. I have never been caught out in a downpour wearing it but the bladder connection leaks on mine and soaks everything in the inner section and soaks my back. Not sure if that's the same thing but if it leaks out why wouldn't it leak in?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Ogio

I forgot to mention the great customer service. One of my compartment zipper broke and got a brand new vest because there is a life time replacement policy. Search Ogio customer service in this thread.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
k1322
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
+1 for the Kriega. I'm more for the R15 with optional US-5 or US-10. Best backpack ever made, a part from its slightly poor water protection.
k1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 528
Geigerig

Geigrrig replaced my C-bak & came with their "Adventure Passport" book of coupons. By the time I finish with 2 ski lift tickets, the backpack is 'free'.
Built well enuf, chest strap & belt secures load & can use waterproof bags inside & treat the fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Phil View Post
Who makes the best backpack for dual sport riders?

My entry level basic requirements for a great pack are:
1) Comfortable when loaded down with, lets say 15-25# of water, spares, food, etc.
2) Robust build. Pack must withstand above average abuse incurred during typical high mileage dual sport riding.
3) 3 liter hydration system
4) Pack fits well with pressure suit.
5) And ideally waterproof.

In the last few years my chosen marque, Camelbak, seems to have declined in the category of robust build. Zippers have failed and the material seems flimsier. Fact or fiction, I am wanting a tougher backpack.

A brief search on the internet yields the following three products as possible successors to my old Camelbak:

Kriega R15 motorcycle backpack
capacity 15 liters

Klim Krew Pak
capacity not listed

Wolfman Escape Pak
capacity 14 liters

Please share your comments, critiques, and real world experience with the above.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 798
Camelbak Mule

Im running the camelbak mule. Enough storage to carry small tools when on the dirtbike. Or when im on the 950 and the wife wants a spot to hold all her crap.

Plus it holds 3 liters of water and is insulated very well. Water stays cold all day. Even when I was in Iraq and it was 137 degrees. The trick to keeping the water cold is after you drank what you wanted. Bite the mouth piece to let the water go back in the bladder. Otherwise your going to drink a bit of hot water before you get to the good stuff.

And since I bought it when I was in Iraq I have the sweet desert camo. I also have the next step down from the mule. It has a tiny zippered mesh pouch on top and a large pocket on the bottom. That ones all black.

I also got the massive backpack that can hold up to 12 liters of water and holds enough gear for a 3 day outting. That one usually gets strapped the the top box and serves as a backrest.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Lyndon Poskitt has a custom Kriega R15 for $110.00 on his Dakar support site.

http://www.lyndonposkittracing.com/s...port-packages/

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Look at the Mystery Ranch offerings. I'm thinking their new Armor bolster on their three-day assault pack would work pretty well with a pressure suit. They get GREAT reviews on Lightfighter.net...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
ThomasM
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I' m using that one. It' s the Baracuda, from Bags Connectin. http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=85495497
I would not say, this is the best one. But for me, it' s definitly in the top ten.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Just received my Camelbak Transformer. Padded back, waist support strap, removable plastic plate behind the bladder, 102 oz.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Another really great benefit of this pack is the ability to add or remove either or both of the storage compartments. It also has a hidden pocket large enough for valuables or a pistol. Sorry for the poor pic. iPhone isnt the best.

burmbuster screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:18 PM Reason: Added statement.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote