Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,028
The Rugby World Cup 2015 thread

Well, what was I thinking? I missed the traditional "one year to go" date!

Third biggest sporting event in the World is deserving of it's own thread me thinks, same as 2011.

NB: Playoff winner is Uruguay!

A brief history lesson will follow for those Mericuns who don't even know the history of their own oval-ball game.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 04:22 PM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Da Rhino will be there for quarter finals at Twickenham.

I think USA has a chance to make quarters.

Should be awesome.

Note to self do not drink as much as I did in Chicago this past weekend.

Finally just recovered - getting old sucks, I think my liver has hired a lawyer
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Wildman OP
In my castle

For centuries there were no universally accepted rules for playing football. In each public school in England, the game was formalised according to local conditions but when the schoolboys reached university, chaos ensued when the players used different rules. At the beginning of each match, the captains would meet and agree the rules.

Twelve London football clubs including Crystal Palace and Blackheath met in 1862 to agree common rules. The first version of the rules for the game we now recognise as Association Football or Soccer was drawn up over a series of six meetings held in the Freemasons' Tavern in Long Acre, London, from October to December. At the final meeting, there was disagreement concerning the removal of two previously drafted rules, the first of which allowed for running with the ball in hand and more importantly to some clubs, the second, obstructing such a run by hacking (kicking an opponent in the shins), tripping and holding. The Blackheath Club withdrew from the Football Association in protest at the removal of these two rules which had been derived from the football as played at Rugby School.

A few years later in 1871, twenty-one of the clubs who had continued to play with the two rules rejected by the Football Association, including Blackheath, Richmond and Harlequin F.C., met to agree the rules for Rugby Football. Ironically, although they retained running with the ball in hand, they too rejected hacking. The one notable omission from the meeting was the Wasps. According to one version, a Wasps' representative was sent to attend the meeting, but owing to a misunderstanding, was sent to the wrong venue at the wrong time on the wrong day; another version is that he went to a venue of the same name where, after consuming a number of drinks, he realised his mistake but was too drunk to make his way to the correct venue! Nevertheless, the Rugby Football Union was formed.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 11-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 29,892
Impressive win by Ireland over the 'Boks on the weekend. I'm thinking they could make a run of it in 2015 - could beat anyone on the day...
Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Impressive win by Ireland over the 'Boks on the weekend. I'm thinking they could make a run of it in 2015 - could beat anyone on the day...
That would be bring a smile to my face.

They're in a tough group. But will make it out.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 29,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
That would be bring a smile to my face.

They're in a tough group. But will make it out.
Group A is clearly the "group of death", but second place in Group D will end up playing the All Blacks, so the France Ireland group game will be a huge decider on who might advance beyond the quarter finals.

Whatever happens, it'll be a great tournament.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

You Can Still Get Tix

If you applied for tix and were denied or didn't do it at all

Check the info here

Latest News

Later this month, remaining Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets will go back on sale in three stages, and will be sold real time, on a first come first served basis. Once released, matches will remain on sale until they have sold out.

Stage 1
10:00 GMT Monday November 24 - Tuesday November 25: Tickets on sale to unsuccessful applicants from the September general sale

Stage 2
10:00 GMT Wednesday November 26 - Thursday November 27: Tickets on sale to applicants from the September general sale who did not receive all the tickets they applied for

Stage 3
12:00 GMT Friday November 28 onwards: Tickets on general sale

You can view a list of the matches which will be going back on sale

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ticketing/index.html
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Feckin' bastids - I had an accumulator bet on all the weekend internationals and those bloody Jaapies and Argies let me down. Southern Henishpere domination, my arse

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,976
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Well I figure this is the right place since we are technically in the run-up to the RWC.

Same old same old from England. They simply have no feckin' idea on what to do. They just totally and utterly run out of ideas - they kick is aimlessly, they pass aimlessly (why the HELL do they all stand around waiting for the ball instead of running at pace when they DO get the ball passed to them ?) they are totally devoid of ideas.

Dismal - and Lancaster got a SIX year contract

England will be lucky to get out of the group stage.

I will say though that a couple of those AB 'tries' were sketchy at best.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
… why the HELL do they all stand around waiting for the ball instead of running at pace when they DO get the ball passed to them ?...
Farrell & Farrell. Look how good Saracens are (although it hurts me deeply to say it) now that Farrell Senior is no longer clogging up the works with his dull and lacklustre tactics. Lancaster's only major failing is his reliance on the dullard.

Billy Vunipola is just a spoiled kid and Wood and Care have had poor matches. Bring in Haskell, Morgan, Dickson and Ford to the starting XV and Waldrom, Cipriani and Joseph to the bench and you'll have the best available 23 for Samoa. Bring back Corbisiero, Cole, Launchbury, Croft and Tuilagi and we just might challenge for a semi-final place. Won't happen mind. Farrell & Farrell will continue to drive us into the mud. Shame.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I will say though that a couple of those AB 'tries' were sketchy at best.
If you don't let the opposition over your try line then they won't score "sketchy" tries.

I hope you're not referring to the crowd not knowing the dif between the tryline and a QBE advert on the replay...

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
… Farrell & Farrell will continue to drive us into the mud. Shame.
Of the top five try scorers in the English Premiership, all English-qualified, none are playing for England. Maybe that is Lancaster's fault.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Of the top five try scorers in the English Premiership, all English-qualified, none are playing for England. Maybe that is Lancaster's fault.
Are you losing belief in Lancaster?
I'd go as far as saying that he has got a couple of picks wrong (yes, too much faith in Farrell jr.), but he is still by a mile the man to take us through the world cup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: