Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
jayjay_muc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sportstourer 2014 - RT wethead or 1200 VFR DCF?

Just sold my 2010 RT and am in the market for a new ride ...

My wife works at BMW, so I get %ages, but I am not sure the new RT (while certainly amazing) satisfies all my need for sportstouring and sportsbiking. Has anybody ridden an RT (alabeit an old one) and a VFR and can share the experience?

I test rode the VFR yesterday and was pleasently surprised be the utter smothness of the ride and the smallish (compared to the IT) stance on the road. The engine, however and the pull from standstill is less than impressive and I am not sure about some of the necessary compromises (compromises are OK, but what are the ultimate upsides vs the RT).

Any advise is very welcome since I have to decide soon ...
jayjay_muc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
I'm presuming the version of the Honda you rode was the twin clutch system?

I'm currently running a 2012 VFR 1200 with the manual box. Last couple of bikes were a Triumph Trophy 1200 and a Ducati Multistrada 1200.

Had a 1200 RT a while back. Loved the comfort, screen and tank range. Less enamoured with the lack of engine.

I'm looking forward to a go on the new RT - but even with my fondness of the RT package and my appreciation of the new wethead motor - i can't see me stumping up the cash to swap.

The VFR isn't widely loved - so that means great deals - and if you buy one you won't be disappointed, if handling and a wondrous engine with bags of character are important to you.

Hope this points you in the right direction..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
K1300S?

Not the newest kid on the block, but it's a lot more on the sporting side of the equation than the RT
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
jayjay_muc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Yes it was the dct version.

I could rent a 1300 ... It seems too old to buy it at this stage (still hoping for a sporty 1600 6pack in the future ...
jayjay_muc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,973
FJR1300. ......

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 98
My first ST was a Sprint ST 1050. Coming off litre sports, I find its relatively high ratio of sportiness to touring comfort very much to my liking. I quickly found though the rest of the package left a bit to be desired. I traded it for a C14, thinking I might like some added touring amenities. Having ridden the big Connie for a little more than a year, I realized I don't need all that touring accouterments and long distant comfort - at least not for the type of short distant short duration sport touring that I do. A SPORT-tourer with refinement was ultimately my holy grail.

I found that in the VFR1200F. It is a bike that let's me do 600+ mile days with only a little complaint from my right wrist (a CC would fix that right up), yet let's me carve twisty backroads like a porper sportbike. It is the only shafties I've ridden that doesn't ride like one.

The Veefalo is not without faults. To mention just a few... the tank is a bit on the small side, if you are used to 200+miles between fill-ups. I'm used to typical sportbike 150 mile range, so it doesn't bother me. The ergos is "relaxed sportbike" but nowhere close to sit-up-straight. Ex-sportbike jockies will feel right at home. Iron Butt veterans will despise it to no end. Headlights are a little shy for a touring rig and OEM panniers decidedly dinky. Still, nothing a little aftermarket farkeling won't fix.

It is an ST for riders that feel the need to seek out distant twisties, and having the right scalpel to carve them is worth a little pain on the way there and back.

That said, I would be very interested in the new RT (or the Norge 8V), if and when I can afford to go on extended tours, where the emphasis is more on the journey itself and less about the destination.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Nbtstatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
You better take a test ride on the new RT. I have 600 miles on mine and it is a lot different than the camhead/hexhead.

NB
Nbtstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

How do you rate it's sporting potential?

It's no race rep - but i should imagine with the new motor it'll put a big silly grin on your face..
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Nbtstatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
How do you rate it's sporting potential?

It's no race rep - but i should imagine with the new motor it'll put a big silly grin on your face..
You are very right about that. It sort of has multiple personalities though with the different modes. With the suspension set on Hard and the riding mode Dynamic, it just wants to f'ing go. Super sensitive throttle will put you in the back seat with a small twitch. But kick it into Soft suspension and Road or Rain and its just a plush easy going full touring machine. I will say one thing though, the boxer on this bike is a much better match for the bike than the previous one IMHO.

NB
Nbtstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
I think the reason you felt the VFR1200 was 'less than impressive' during take off is because the motor is so smooth. The VFR1200 pulls low 10s in the 1/4 and is deceptively fast. I've ridden the VFR1200 and it is a fantastic and nimble bike.

The only thing that would deter me is the lack of creature comforts like ESA or electronically adjustable windscreen.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbtstatic View Post
You are very right about that. It sort of has multiple personalities though with the different modes. With the suspension set on Hard and the riding mode Dynamic, it just wants to f'ing go. Super sensitive throttle will put you in the back seat with a small twitch. But kick it into Soft suspension and Road or Rain and its just a plush easy going full touring machine. I will say one thing though, the boxer on this bike is a much better match for the bike than the previous one IMHO.

NB
Cool. I'm looking forward to a rip on one.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
alfred02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Test road the new 2014 model yesterday.
Jumped from my 1200RT Hexhead onto the new demo model.
I am not sure that you can even compare these two. The boxer now feels far more like a triple then a two cylinder boxer.
It's far larger power band and instant throttle response gives it a more sporty response. Steering and flicking it from side to side through sweepers is a "lot" quicker.
It's a very different animal compared to it's predecessors.
alfred02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Look at the ZX14R
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Haven't had any test rides on the wethead 1200RT yet,but I did have an extended test ride on the 2013 wethead 1200GS....same motor.... I really liked the 1200GS.....just enough motor to be kept entertained....but I just could not get past the heated shins that come with the bike. The RT will be in the 18-23k range in the states vs the screaming deals on the VFR.....thats a huge price difference. I might take a 1200RT for a test ride.....but I would never sell my VFR DCT for one. Maybe take out the VFR for a extended test ride....My ride:

zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

The DCT is something else. While the world has fallen for electronic suspension, i still reckon the DCT box is a true step forward.