Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
gearheadstu OP
early apexer

Oddometer: 88
Carbon Fibre exhaust cans: repack, or modify db killers?

My bike came with a pair of carbon Leo Vince cans:

They sound glorious, like Luciano Pavarotti standing in as singer for a death metal band. But better than that. Thing is, it is simply way. too. loud. I love the sound, but I still want less of it.

Towards that end, I've already bought a set of these rather phallic db killers from LV.

They brought the volume down from about a subjective 12 to a mere 10. I'd be happier at like a 7 or 8.

So: I know I could get a repack kit; pull the cans, drill out the rivets, repack, then re-install. I'm not certain, however, that I'd get enough hush for the time/money spent.

What, then, about the idea of modifying/buying new inserts? With this style of insert, is there a correlation between length and sound levels? Would the exhausts be quieter with longer inserts?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
jad3675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Nice Falco. LV exhausts sound great on those bikes.

I quieted mine down with an extra half blanket of Moose exhaust packing in each can.

John
Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
gearheadstu OP
early apexer

Oddometer: 88
Did you put the extra packing in as an addition to the inserts? Or in lieu of?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
jad3675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadstu View Post
Did you put the extra packing in as an addition to the inserts? Or in lieu of?
Just packing, no inserts. From what I remember, the LV cans don't have much in them from the factory. Local shop recommended Moose packing over other brands - it seemed more dense and less fluffy than other packing.

John
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I think I know what you're looking for, and you're probably going to be disappointed.

I've messed with a similar problem before. Anything that is more-or-less straight through is going to be too loud. The dB Killer from LV looks like a much more thoroughly thought out solution than most. If it wasn't enough, you're not likely to get where you want to be with those cans.

Sound control is a very complex black art. A good solution will involve flow reversals (at low pressure periods to minimize restriction), chamber volumes arrived at through extensive experimentation, etc., etc. The OEM mufflers are generally the best performance per dB you will ever find, because only they have the budget and R&D facilities to do it right. After my experimentation I ended up with a pristine original exhaust from eBay and couldn't have been happier.

You might want to try some Arrow slip-ons before going stock. They also build for the OEMs. I've seen and heard a pair of their aftermarket undertail cans on a Street Triple, and that seems to me like what you're looking for. There's no shortage of YouTube videos with any kind of bike running any kind of exhaust, so that's where I'd start shopping.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote