Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #76
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR771 View Post
Well if you don't like a bike that wheelies,corners and accelerates well you seem hard to please . maybe you will love a big , heavy and slow Harley Davison because you sound like the cruiser type even tho you say you're not.
I can't help but agree a little bit with the guy. I've wanted a Versys for years but used theyve been stuck around $5k. Bought a Ninja 650R for $2.3k figuring it will be close enough for a while. Was able to test ride a Versys at a Kawi event a year after owning my ninja, and all I can say is ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz. I mean my Ninja is absolutely nothing special (set up for touring, easy ergos) but the Versys just seemed like a blander version of the Ninja. All i'd heard from others was that it handles like a big supermoto. I also have (had) a DRZ400 with SM wheels and it was no supermoto.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #77
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post

My most boring motorcycle: Kawasaki GT550 with big BMW-style fairing. Ruthlessly efficient mile-muncher. This is the only motorcycle I have fallen asleep while riding...true!
i literally fell asleep on a bike also, riding home on the interstate on my vstrom. I sold it after that.
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #78
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
+1 for the 650 V-Strom. I bought it without a test ride and when I got on it for the 3 hour ride home it immediately felt like I was driving a car. I had just come off a Magna 750 that I started on and what stuck me first was having the dashboard stay in place while steering. On the other hand, it was great for touring because it encouraged looking around and enjoying the surroundings. I would totally forget about the bike itself.

After a 15k mile trip I came back and got a 5th gen VFR800 instead. Total night and day riding experience. Besides being much louder (tb headers/pipe), it just constantly screams "HEY BUDDY, YOU'RE ON A FUCKIN' VFR HERE!!! I end up missing all the scenery on it. The V-Strom ended up going back to Central America with its new owner and I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #79
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I can't help but agree a little bit with the guy. I've wanted a Versys for years but used theyve been stuck around $5k. Bought a Ninja 650R for $2.3k figuring it will be close enough for a while. Was able to test ride a Versys at a Kawi event a year after owning my ninja, and all I can say is ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz. I mean my Ninja is absolutely nothing special (set up for touring, easy ergos) but the Versys just seemed like a blander version of the Ninja. All i'd heard from others was that it handles like a big supermoto. I also have (had) a DRZ400 with SM wheels and it was no supermoto.
Beg to differ, my versys is a hooligan. It loves to be bad a round turns and in town. And it eats miles like their nothing. The perfect bike for me.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #80
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
As I was reading the thread title, one bike popped into my mind. Honda ST1300. I rented one for a weekend in Texas a couple of years ago for my wife and I to take a bike trip with her son and fiance.

My impression of the bike while riding it was that it reminded me of the motorcycle equivlent of a Honda Accord. A perfectly acceptible and capable machine with no soul or personality what so ever. When the weekend was over I happily turned over the keys and walked away, not looking back even once for another look.

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #81
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Out of a total of 46 motorcycles I have owned since age 16, I honestly cannot say I found a single one of them boring, and that includes a '95 Goldwing. But I have never owned a maxi scooter or a Japanese sport touring bike. I would probably find both those boring. I have also never owned a bike with fuel injection and ABS, I'm sure I would also find those boring.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #82
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I have never been bored while riding any motorcycle and I hope I never am.
+1
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #83
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,944
Utterly over-competent bike which did all things well but none exceptionally. This is one bike I could have fallen asleep on. It just didn't light my hair on fire.

nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #84
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Vulcan 500, Shadow 750, and Intruder 1400 all top the list for me. All terrible bikes I didn't enjoy riding at all.

However, I was pleasantly surprised how fun the XR250R and newer Intruder 800 were. Good ergos, snappy as long as you kept the revs up and rode the piss out of them in every gear, and surprisingly nimble.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #85
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Utterly over-competent bike which did all things well but none exceptionally. This is one bike I could have fallen asleep on. It just didn't light my hair on fire.

Ditto for me, less than the sum of it's parts that one. And yet, it's an all time best seller, so what do I know
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #86
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post

Well said. It was the same bike for me, listed earlier in the "bikes you didn't like as much..." thread. It was GREAT. Just not exciting. Having said that, when my signing bonus with the Jets for the QB slot comes in the mail, I'll have another for touring-only duty...except that I REALLY want a Road Glide for that purpose, too. Just don't tell anybody...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #87
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Well said. It was the same bike for me, listed earlier in the "bikes you didn't like as much..." thread. It was GREAT. Just not exciting.
I maintain it is the job of the machine to be an excellent tool for the rider, and it is up to the rider to add the 'character' and excitement to the mix. Upon a closer examination, a 'boring' bike usually turns out to be one the rider couldn't fault - how in God's name has this become a bad thing?!?

So here's my New Year's toast to all the 'boring' bikes out there!
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #88
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
The most boring motorcycle I have ever ridden (since I started in 1966) is probably the 1997 Honda Dream 100 that I have had for the past 9 years.... and that's fine. It gets me where I want to go. I enjoy motorcycling but in the end they are primarily transport to me, and most other people where I live right now. There are 2 or 3 registered motorcycles for every car on Phuket Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I have never been bored while riding any motorcycle and I hope I never am.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
There are no boring motorcycles.

There are a lot of boring motorcyclists though.
Well, ain't that the truth. I know a lot of interesting people that ride motorcycles..... hard core motorcyclists tend to be boring by comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
The GT550, with its shaft drive. low maintenance requirements, and general economy in use, was long the favourite of London's motorcycle couriers. There is nothing wrong with comfortable, reliable and boring when you depend on a bike to earn a crust.

On the other hand, the most exciting road bike I have ridden was the Kawasaki H2 Mach IV, aka "The Widow maker" It's acceleration was a wicked, but the real excitement came with the horrendous cornering and braking. It didn't have the frame or the brakes to match the engine. With a 4.5 gallon tank that it could empty within 90 miles, the excitement soon pales.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 12:05 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #89
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I maintain it is the job of the machine to be an excellent tool for the rider, and it is up to the rider to add the 'character' and excitement to the mix. Upon a closer examination, a 'boring' bike usually turns out to be one the rider couldn't fault - how in God's name has this become a bad thing?!?

So here's my New Year's toast to all the 'boring' bikes out there!

You're absolutely right in one sense. I even said nearly that very thing in my most recent post on my VFR1200 thread. But on the other hand, I can't fault my Ford F150 for anything (outside of fuel consumption) for ANY of the driving I do. But if I bought a car for recreational exploits - the sole purpose of most motorcycles - no amount of me adding character and excitement to my Ford is going to make it a Ferrari Maranello.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #90
Unleaded
Unit Train

*duplicate post*