Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
theryatch OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Buy a Higher Mileage 1050 Tiger or Keep DL1000 VStrom??

Hello all. New to the forum in terms of posting, but I have been reading tons of posts and finally decided to jump into the world that is this forum... So to start out I will say thanks to everyone on here for having such a good forum and I cant wait to contribute myself!

My dilemma is as follows. I currently have a 2005 DL1000 Vstrom with about 24k on the clock and I really do like the bike. I have pelican cases, crash bars, yada yada yada, basically set up for doing some nice distance riding. Well my dilemma is that I cant seem to not look for bikes and I found a 2007 Tiger on Craigslist here locally for only $5,000, but the downside is that it has 35k miles and the owner claims 95% of those are highway... It has a Givi top case, heated grips, blah blah blah... The Vee is nice, but I came from an FZ1 and I do occasionally miss how "smooth" that bike was. The Vee is awesome, but it tends to be, how do I say this, aggressive and chunky in its power delivery...

I know some about the 1050 Triumphs, but is that a good price on a bike with that many miles? I have heard of VStroms like mine going 100k with minimal issues, but not sure about that Tiger doing the same....

I could probably sell the VStrom and get a few hundred bucks too to get a slip on or to use for beer money...

What do you all think? Is that a good deal? Should I sell the Vee? Are the miles too high? Oh the humanity!!!!!
Thanks!!
theryatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,527
I have owned 2 v stroms, a wee and a vee. I have ridden the 1050, but ended up buying an 800 Tiger. So, that's my perspective.

The 1050 will blow away the vee in almost every category. Especially in the braking and handling departments. The motor is not as smooth as the vee, but is more powerful and feels much stronger. The only way the strom beats the big Tiger is in the transmission department. The 1050 is cruder and not as smooth, but it is rugged and reliable.

From my research the 1050 should be every bit as reliable as the Suzuki. 35k, if cared for properly should be no problem for the Tiger. I'd say go for it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Joer
Pacific NW Explorer

Oddometer: 26
I'd stick with the storm. It's reliable as a hammer. Put some suspension work into it and you'll never want to part from it.
Joer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,245
I've ridden both, and personally I feel that the 1050 Tiger is the most underrated motorcycle on this forum. It is as much of a dual-sport as the 1200GS, Strom, Versys, and Tenere for most people. Yes, I know the other bikes have larger front tires and the pretense for off-road work, but in reality the Tiger does just fine on forest service, dirt, and packed gravel roads. You can always put some dirt oriented tires on the Tiger if you need the traction, because there are some available now for 17" wheels. If you are going to do some gnarly and muddy stuff then you will appreciate the lighter weight and off-road suspension of something like the 800XC, but if your reality is like many of us on here, you will ride paved roads, beat-up secondary roads, and dirt/gravel roads for most of your adventures.

If that is the case, the Tiger excels at this. The triple engine is the best engine I have ever experienced, and I have ridden everything from the Ducati Supermotard to the V-Strom, to the Versys, to the FZ1, and even some hardcore sportbikes like the 999r. The 1050 torque, sound, and the versatility is the best in the business, IMO. Plus, with a few cheap mods you will be making 125+ horsepower to the rear wheel, which is far more than most of the other endeared bikes on this forum. The suspension is soft, which I like but others want to improve on. I don't get much buffeting at all, and the stock seat is the best I have ever had. In fact, it is better than the $$$ Sargent on my old 1200GS.

So yes, get the Tiger and enjoy the hell out of it. It is fast, powerful, smooth, handles well, looks good, and should prove to be quite reliable.

Plus, you'll have a unique bike that many people haven't seen.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,251
It all comes down to how much you take it off pavement IMHO. Mine got traded in on a Tenere after less than a year. I just missed heading down the gravel roads. Admittedly the gravel around here is DEEP. Deeper than anywhere else I've ever ridden. The 17 inch front wheel combined with lack of suitable tires at the time was a deal killer.

I wouldn't be scared of the mileage though. Is that an ABS model? If so that's a good price, if not, it may be a little high.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Daytrader
Missin' Texas

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad View Post
I've ridden both, and personally I feel that the 1050 Tiger is the most underrated motorcycle on this forum. It is as much of a dual-sport as the 1200GS, Strom, Versys, and Tenere for most people. Yes, I know the other bikes have larger front tires and the pretense for off-road work, but in reality the Tiger does just fine on forest service, dirt, and packed gravel roads. You can always put some dirt oriented tires on the Tiger if you need the traction, because there are some available now for 17" wheels. If you are going to do some gnarly and muddy stuff then you will appreciate the lighter weight and off-road suspension of something like the 800XC, but if your reality is like many of us on here, you will ride paved roads, beat-up secondary roads, and dirt/gravel roads for most of your adventures.

If that is the case, the Tiger excels at this. The triple engine is the best engine I have ever experienced, and I have ridden everything from the Ducati Supermotard to the V-Strom, to the Versys, to the FZ1, and even some hardcore sportbikes like the 999r. The 1050 torque, sound, and the versatility is the best in the business, IMO. Plus, with a few cheap mods you will be making 125+ horsepower to the rear wheel, which is far more than most of the other endeared bikes on this forum. The suspension is soft, which I like but others want to improve on. I don't get much buffeting at all, and the stock seat is the best I have ever had. In fact, it is better than the $$$ Sargent on my old 1200GS.

So yes, get the Tiger and enjoy the hell out of it. It is fast, powerful, smooth, handles well, looks good, and should prove to be quite reliable.

Plus, you'll have a unique bike that many people haven't seen.
Well stated. The 1050 is the most versatile bike across the boxes to tick. I put 20k on my GSA that I really didn't want to sell, and bought a Tiger 3 weeks later and haven't looked back. (The Beemer had better luggage. Tiger luggage is a bit fiddly).
But you'll love that motor!
If you really like to ride, you'll like the Tiger.