User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Thinking about a new Rubi

I'm thinking about a new Rubicon. Has Jeep get their issues with the 3.6 heads sorted out? Anything else a guy needs to be aware of? I would like a 2 door with a stick.

Thanks
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,835
Don't all the Jeeps have a 100,000 mile power-train warranty? I wouldn't let the head "issue" stop me from getting one. This is probably more a case of the bad events get reported more than the good.

That said, if I had the finances for it, I would get exactly what you want today.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 784
Bueller to the white courtesy phone...
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 792
I read a bunch about them because I was thinking about getting one after this last deployment. As far as I read the head issue has been sorted. I know they had an update and than ended up putting new heads on I think the left side. EIther way I think it would be worth the risk. They are great rigs.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I've been looking too, but I would get a '13 just to be on the safe side.
DLFLHT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
Hold out for the oil burner...

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Just bought wrangler #6 two weeks ago, a '13 unlimited Rubicon. Head issues are supposed to be sorted. My trade was my '09 rubicon 2 door. In October I did a 4500 mile trip to Moab and back, and beat it to death while I was there. I've loved having Wranglers since 1994, but I really gained a lot of appreciation for them as a result of that experience.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post

What's that gonna cost? $50K? too much $$ for me.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post

Don't bother. All industry indicators and gossip say it isn't coming for at least two more model years, maybe as many as 4 model years (if ever). Prior to the release of the gas 3.6 there was a good argument for a diesel, but not so much anymore. The gas 3.6 gets 21 mpg hwy and has plenty of power. An oil burner would need to get 28 mpg hwy just to offset the difference in fuel cost in the USA, and that doesn't account for the potential difference in maintenance costs. I am a big fan of diesels and was originally trained on them when I went to tech school, and I agree the Wrangler is an ideal platform for the power curve of a comparatively low revving diesel. But we have our heads so far up our own asses with respect to diesels here in the states there just isn't any gain in economy in a Wrangler platform.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

I would buy a diesel in a heartbeat...but I've been saying that for 15 years. The wife and I test drove a 2012 and I was very impressed with how civilized the Wrangler has become as the last Jeep I drove was a CJ5. We also drove an FJ and I can't belive that I'm saying this but the Rubi kicked it's ass.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=ivel_86;20338350]I read a bunch about them because I was thinking about getting one after this last deployment.

Thank you for your service!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
I would buy a diesel in a heartbeat...but I've been saying that for 15 years. The wife and I test drove a 2012 and I was very impressed with how civilized the Wrangler has become as the last Jeep I drove was a CJ5. We also drove an FJ and I can't belive that I'm saying this but the Rubi kicked it's ass.
The Rubicon also kicks it's ass in off road capability, 4wd system, and believe it or not, resale value.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
A friend of mine just sold his FJ for a 4 door Unlimited. He says the Jeep is a MUCH better vehicle than the FJ was.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Don't bother. All industry indicators and gossip say it isn't coming for at least two more model years, maybe as many as 4 model years (if ever). Prior to the release of the gas 3.6 there was a good argument for a diesel, but not so much anymore. The gas 3.6 gets 21 mpg hwy and has plenty of power. An oil burner would need to get 28 mpg hwy just to offset the difference in fuel cost in the USA, and that doesn't account for the potential difference in maintenance costs. I am a big fan of diesels and was originally trained on them when I went to tech school, and I agree the Wrangler is an ideal platform for the power curve of a comparatively low revving diesel. But we have our heads so far up our own asses with respect to diesels here in the states there just isn't any gain in economy in a Wrangler platform.
This ^^^^^
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I posted that more to stir up shite than seriously suggest the OP actually await the arrival of a diesel Wrangler on NA shores...the Wrangler's on the short list as Mrs. Hardware's next vehicle and unless they actually have diesels on the lot when we're in the final stages of selection, we won't hold off to await the smokers.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: