Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
I waited for years, went with an 06 LJ. Fuel has gotten so high it's just not worth it anymore.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
As much as I love the Cummins in my Dodge, I'm not under any delusion that we'll see one in a Wrangler anytime soon. Unfortunately we're being governed by imbeciles.
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
A friend of mine just sold his FJ for a 4 door Unlimited. He says the Jeep is a MUCH better vehicle than the FJ was.

I'm not biased either way, I've owned as many Jeeps as I have Toyotas, but unless the build quality on the JK has come WAY UP in the last couple years, I find that hard to believe. While I haven't owned an FJ I have owned a 4th gen 4runner (shares the platform with the FJ) and the 'yota engine is way better than the old 3.7 Jeep engine and body integrity is much better. I've seen rust on 2 year old JKs and my 04 4runnner didn't have have a spec of surface rust on the under carriage!

Now fun factor on a Jeep is WAY better than any 'yota and stock vs stock a JK is way more off road capable than the FJ.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

I'm not biased either way, I've owned as many Jeeps as I have Toyotas, but unless the build quality on the JK has come WAY UP in the last couple years, I find that hard to believe. While I haven't owned an FJ I have owned a 4th gen 4runner (shares the platform with the FJ) and the 'yota engine is way better than the old 3.7 Jeep engine and body integrity is much better. I've seen rust on 2 year old JKs and my 04 4runnner didn't have have a spec of surface rust on the under carriage!

Now fun factor on a Jeep is WAY better than any 'yota and stock vs stock a JK is way more off road capable than the FJ.
I will bet you get people on both sides of this one. The engine in the JK was the 3.8 until 2012 and is now the Pentastar 3.6. (The 3.7 was in the Jeep Liberty). And if you do a search on this forum you will find threads on Toyota frame replacements due to rust.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

They are close to being tied in engine performance, with a slight edge to the Jeep. The Wrangler has 25 more horsepower (285 vs 260), while the FJ has 11 ft lbs more torque (271 vs 260). But in order to get that horsepower in the jeep you really have to wind it up, as max horsepower is at 6400 RPM. The Wrangler does get slightly better mileage.

When it comes to comparing vehicles like an FJ to a Wrangler, people tend to love what they love. Lots of loyalty in both camps. But objectively speaking, while the nod in build quality might go to the Toyota I have not found the Wrangler lacking at all in this respect. And I've beat my previous Wranglers enough to expose weaknesses.

While you can save $2500 buying a nicely equipped MT 4 x 4 FJ over a 4 door Rubicon, there simply is no comparison in features and off road capability. The Rubicon wins hands down, especially if the vehicle is going to actually be used off road. The 4:1 transfer case, electric sway bar disconnect, and front & rear diff lockers would cost a hell of a lot of money to install in an FJ.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified

Bueller screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 06:57 PM
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

My test drive in the FJ was an eye opening experience. We owned a 2003 4 Runner and I have to say it's the best vechicle I've ever owned. I would still have it if it wasn't for a texting teenage girl running a light broadsiding the wife & kids. Everyone walked away so it's all good.

I just knew I wanted an FJ, until I drove it. I like the platform, but the ergonomics are so poor it's unbelievable. There is no way I can turn my 16 year old son loose in a vechicle you simply can not see out of. I would have lane change issues in the thing much less the wife and son.

I drove the Jeep as an afterthought. I knew I would hate it...except it was good, very good. We are so used to bashing American cars that we don't give them a fair evaluation. My 05 Ram has been completely trouble free despite using it hard towing our 35' 5th wheel toybox up and down the Rocky Mtns.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
I have heard that automatic transmission failures are endemic to certain model years of FJ's, also.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #23
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I have heard that automatic transmission failures are endemic to certain model years of FJ's, also.
I never heard that.

Mechanically (drive-train wise) to the Tacoma, there can be issues with the clutch master cylinders on the MT rigs and the 4.0L engines can have a ticking noise on idle (mine (Taco) ticked).
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
We test drove the FJ too. I wanted to like it because it would address my concerns about Jeep reliability. One quick drive and the FJ was out - that thing is like driving around in a cave! I wouldn't drive one no matter how capable or reliable they are. I'm amazed they've been in production this long without a redesign to fix the visibility issues.
DLFLHT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,698
I think this thread has reached the point where I typically mention the Xterra.

Carry on.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

I drove the Xtrerra Pro 4X. It's OK. I would buy one before I bought an FJ. The Nissan also has an independent front suspension with an open differential. On the plus side you can get a 6 speed with part time 4WD.

I would really rather have the Jeep.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
I drove the Xtrerra Pro 4X. It's OK. I would buy one before I bought an FJ. The Nissan also has an independent front suspension with an open differential. On the plus side you can get a 6 speed with part time 4WD.

I would really rather have the Jeep.
Similarly priced to the FJ, with similar overall performance. Not in the same league as a Rubicon.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Xterras are cheaper than a FJs. Around here Toyotas go pretty close to sticker. $2k-$3k off is about all you'll get. So with the upgrade pkg & convenience pkg around $32k. A Pro 4x with a 6 speed can be had for $25-$26k. Our local Nissan dealer currently has an automatic on their website for $27k. I could have bought a 6 speed Thanksgiving weekend for $25k.

I doubt I'll come close to a Rubicon equipped the way I want for Nissan money.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Xterras are cheaper than a FJs. Around here Toyotas go pretty close to sticker. $2k-$3k off is about all you'll get. So with the upgrade pkg & convenience pkg around $32k. A Pro 4x with a 6 speed can be had for $25-$26k. Our local Nissan dealer currently has an automatic on their website for $27k. I could have bought a 6 speed Thanksgiving weekend for $25k.

I doubt I'll come close to a Rubicon equipped the way I want for Nissan money.
No, not for that money. But if you want to forego the mygig, leather interior, remote start, and other stuff you don't need, a Rubicon doesn't have to cost 40 grand either.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Equipped the way I want will sticker for $35k. There are still a few 2012's around as well. I do want side curtain airbags and haven't seen one on the lot yet so equipped.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: