Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Equipped the way I want will sticker for $35k. There are still a few 2012's around as well. I do want side curtain airbags and haven't seen one on the lot yet so equipped.
If it stickers for $35 it's light on options, which means not as much markup. You'll pay about $33, maybe a bit less.

Nearly half of them around here have those extra air bags. They are an extra $500 I didn't want to spend.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #32
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,362
I have a 2013 Sahara on order to be delivered here in Korea around mid-Feb I hope. There's a 2012 on site here but decided to wait because of the head issue. I can't wait to receive it...loved it in the test ride. Seems like a much better vehicle than they used to be.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
And now your going to rub it in by telling us all that you ordered the diesel. Congats on the new Jeep!
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2 door. I absolutely love it. I'd wanted a Jeep for years, and I've test drove every iteration since the YJ. This is the first one that I knew that I'd want as a daily driver. The Pentastar made all the difference for me.

Mine is pretty bare bones. My only question on the Rubicon is do you plan on doing some serious off-roading/climbing? If not, you could easily get by with a Sahara or Sport. Either will be more capable than 95% of the vehicles on the road today. Otherwise you're paying for the name and for features you likely won't ever use.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Yes, I plan on wheeling it. We live in Colorado and there are lots of ghost towns to explore and passes to climb. Moab is a days drive and the Red Desert in Wyoming is 1/2 day away. I'm not planning on any hard-core rock crawling but when you’re several hours from a paved road and need a locker...you need a locker. If I bought a Sport I would add everything the Rubi gives you... the gears and the lockers. It seems to me that it's more cost effective to get those things installed by the factory...with a warranty. This way all I need is a lift, tires, wheels, and bumpers. I already have a winch.

Enjoy your Jeep!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
Bueller
Cashin?

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Yes, I plan on wheeling it. We live in Colorado and there are lots of ghost towns to explore and passes to climb. Moab is a days drive and the Red Desert in Wyoming is 1/2 day away. I'm not planning on any hard-core rock crawling but when you’re several hours from a paved road and need a locker...you need a locker. If I bought a Sport I would add everything the Rubi gives you... the gears and the lockers. It seems to me that it's more cost effective to get those things installed by the factory...with a warranty. This way all I need is a lift, tires, wheels, and bumpers. I already have a winch.

Enjoy your Jeep!
It's not just the gears and lockers. If you are spending any time in Moab you will really come to appreciate the auto sway bar disconnect and 4:1 transfer case of the rubicon. Since you intend to lift and run bigger tires the D44 up front means you don't have to sleeve/gusset the front axle.

Yes, the rubicon costs a good bit more than a stripped sport. But you get a lot of equipment for the money, not even considering the additional interior options. Living where you do and having that much great off roading that close I wouldn't consider anything else.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Yup, now I just need to find one
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If it stickers for $35 it's light on options, which means not as much markup. You'll pay about $33, maybe a bit less.

Nearly half of them around here have those extra air bags. They are an extra $500 I didn't want to spend.
that's what I thought too but then I found this. Even though it's Carmax this is supposed to be Brand New. What's wrong with it that I don't see?

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...7-9e4e40aee442

are they discounting manuals that much??

Carlo Muro screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 01:03 PM
Carlo Muro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
I'm after just the basic Wrangler Sport, two door, hard top with a standard tranny. Black please. Test drove one and really liked it.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
That's a good price. I've been watching here and can beat that by a little. They are selling base Rubicons with the hardtop for $28,890 (it stickers for $32,485 or $895 more than that one). It's tempting.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
that's what I thought too but then I found this. Even though it's Carmax this is supposed to be Brand New. What's wrong with it that I don't see?

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...7-9e4e40aee442

I was quoting prices for a 4 door (JKU)

Your link is a stripped 2 door - absolutely no options. Here's the window sticker:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...BJWCG7DL560202

Despite that, it has all of the off road goodies of a Rubicon. It just doesn't have things like the tow package, power equipment group, U-Connect bluetooth, my gig, or other common options. And this is my point when I see some people making dumb posts claiming you can't buy a Rubicon for less than 40 grand. The fact is you can, and for considerably less - even less than 30 grand - if you are willing to forego leather, mygig, heated seats, and all the other crap you'd likely find in a Cadillac.

There is nothing wrong with the Rubicon you linked to, and it is completely possible for it to be a brand new vehicle with no previous titled owner from Carmax:

While used cars has always been the main business, CarMax purchased the rights to locations from car manufacturers such as Chrysler, Jeep, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CarMax

Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #42
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,056
How do the lockers work? Are they air, electric, cable? Can they be operated independently?

My old ARB setup (aftermarket) won't allow the front to be locked w/o the rear first being locked. Not sure why you'd want to do that buy I always thought it a bit weird that they went to the trouble to make sure that didn't happen.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
Bueller
Cashin?

They are electric, and I believe they work the same way - the operator can lock the rear locker, or both lockers. I've never tried locking only the front, but thinking about the way the switch works I don't think it is possible.

Aside from that, why would you want to lock just the front? Locking the front is typically the last, desperate act of a stuck Jeep They don't steer worth a shit when the front is locked.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #44
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
It's not just the gears and lockers. If you are spending any time in Moab you will really come to appreciate the auto sway bar disconnect and 4:1 transfer case of the rubicon. Since you intend to lift and run bigger tires the D44 up front means you don't have to sleeve/gusset the front axle.

Yes, the rubicon costs a good bit more than a stripped sport. But you get a lot of equipment for the money, not even considering the additional interior options. Living where you do and having that much great off roading that close I wouldn't consider anything else.

The dana 44 axle in the rubicon, I believe, is the same housing used in all JK jeeps. The only difference is the internals of the axles. Any rough offroad use and it would be a good Idea to brace the front end.
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #45
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
The dana 44 axle in the rubicon, I believe, is the same housing used in all JK jeeps. The only difference is the internals of the axles. Any rough offroad use and it would be a good Idea to brace the front end.
I've seen many say same size, and I've seen many say 1/8" difference. I don't know what the real truth is, but there are a lot of instances of sleeving or gussetting D30's while I see little mention of it with D44's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: