Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #46
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I had to go to Evansville, IN and visit a friend in the hospital last weekend (stroke at 40, no medical evidence/reason for it that they have found BTW, very odd indeed). Anyway, I dropped by the dealer just to check out the Rubi they had sitting on the floor. It had all kinds of crap on it for sure and (to me) the worst of it was the auto trans, I just don't like auto in a jeep for some reason (even though my FJ is an auto, I'd have gotten a stick but didn't want full time 4wd).

It also had the color match fender flares and hard top, I can just see the busted paint on the flares after bouncing around in it. Seems like they're marketing them to soccer moms more than off roaders at that dealer. They had a total of 5 more Rubi's on the lot, every one an auto with color match. The sales guy asked if I was interested and I said I was just browsing but asked if they had a stick Rubi, he said nope and probably won't get any unless it's ordered by a customer and then went on to tell me how much easier it was to climb hills and rocks with an auto...

When I got home, just for kicks I went online and built a Rubi at jeep.com and did a search. Not a single manual trans Rubi within 300 miles of me, but tons of autos. What gives?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #47
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq View Post
...(to me) the worst of it was the auto trans, I just don't like auto in a jeep for some reason (even though my FJ is an auto, I'd have gotten a stick but didn't want full time 4wd).

It also had the color match fender flares and hard top, I can just see the busted paint on the flares after bouncing around in it...

I my perfect world, woman have large breasts and long hair, men carry large calibre handguns and Jeeps have standard transmissions & black (unpainted) fender flares & tops.

Hope your friend has a full recovery BTW...
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #48
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
When I got home, just for kicks I went online and built a Rubi at jeep.com and did a search. Not a single manual trans Rubi within 300 miles of me, but tons of autos. What gives?
Can't answer. In my area you can almost always find a Rubicon with a manual trans.

Body colored flares and hard top has to be one of the dumbest options ever offered on a Wrangler from a technical perspective. Still, I'm sure plenty of wannabe mall crawlers will be purchased that way which makes it smart from a marketing perspective.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #49
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
And leather seats...can't imagine why you'd want leather seats in a Jeep
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #50
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
I said the same thing, but I do have to admit the cloth seats in this new Rubicon are dog hair magnets. The dog hair gets into the weave and is difficult to remove. Leather would have made it easier to clean up after my three little critters.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Of all the vehicles I've owned in my life the one I miss the most was my '96 Bronco. It was really base, vinyl seats, roll up windows, and rubber floor mat. I could load up the kids and the dogs for a day in the woods to run and ride. At the end of the day we’d load them all up and go home. We never obsessed over messing up the truck. Cleanup was a snap.

rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Can't answer. In my area you can almost always find a Rubicon with a manual trans.

Body colored flares and hard top has to be one of the dumbest options ever offered on a Wrangler from a technical perspective. Still, I'm sure plenty of wannabe mall crawlers will be purchased that way which makes it smart from a marketing perspective.
Quote:
In my current quest for a new daily driver for the wife, I decided if we do go with a cheap econobox for work and something else for play, I could possibly replace her current wrangler with a new four door rubi. So, I just built one on their website. Yes, I included all of those on the build.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #53
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
I had to go to Evansville, IN and visit a friend in the hospital last weekend (stroke at 40, no medical evidence/reason for it that they have found BTW, very odd indeed). Anyway, I dropped by the dealer just to check out the Rubi they had sitting on the floor. It had all kinds of crap on it for sure and (to me) the worst of it was the auto trans, I just don't like auto in a jeep for some reason (even though my FJ is an auto, I'd have gotten a stick but didn't want full time 4wd).

It also had the color match fender flares and hard top, I can just see the busted paint on the flares after bouncing around in it. Seems like they're marketing them to soccer moms more than off roaders at that dealer. They had a total of 5 more Rubi's on the lot, every one an auto with color match. The sales guy asked if I was interested and I said I was just browsing but asked if they had a stick Rubi, he said nope and probably won't get any unless it's ordered by a customer and then went on to tell me how much easier it was to climb hills and rocks with an auto...

Having driven both offroad I would agree that automatic transmissions work better for offroading. Having said that there is an advantage in some situations of being able to shift manually. I really didn't mind my Sami with a 5spd because it was geared so low with 4.56's and a 4:1 t-case that I could literally start on a 60% grade with no throttle input.

I have driven trucks with hand throttles and tried the heel/toe nonsense, but they don't compare to an automatic for smooth moving offroad.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #54
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I'd love leather seats in my Rubicon, easier to keep clean tha the cloth seats.

Just saying.

Denis
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Well crap! I can't find one optioned the way I want in gecko green, and they stopped offering it for order two weeks ago!
And, the wife doesn't like any of the color options on the 10th Anniv. Rubicon either.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #56
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Well crap! I can't find one optioned the way I want in gecko green, and they stopped offering it for order two weeks ago!
And, the wife doesn't like any of the color options on the 10th Anniv. Rubicon either.
I think gecko green is hideous, but beyond that I agree the color palette sucks right now. That's why I decided to be color blind and just buy based on the trim and options I wanted.

The best color they've had in years was the desert tan they offered for only part of '12 and then discontinued it

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #57
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
I was told they have a quota on the "wild" colors and stop making them when they reach that quota *just* to keep them more limited. So they are already done with crush, dozer, and gecko.

I was in the same boat a few weeks back wanting a gecko and willing to order to get exactly what I wanted. Oh, and a two door. Then found out they were done with that color. So I started searching and found a dealer in Georgia that had 9 2 door Rubis and they order all theirs the EXACT same way. All auto, soft top, no body color anything else, UConnect 430, tow package, cloth, no extra airbags. I was going to get the standard stereo with the Bluetooth package instead of the 430, but I'm glad I ended up with the 430. Oh, at the time that dealer had TWO geckos.

I did the entire deal in two days via email and one trip to the bank to do a transfer to pay for it. They delivered up to 150 miles for free and $1/mile after that, so I had them drive it to NC for me, too. The price was $3,100 off MSRP.

I actually DOWNGRADED the wife's toy vehicle from a 2007 JKUR with a 5.7L Hemi to the 2013 JKR. It's only getting an AEV front bumper, winch, some spring spacers in the front, and AEV seat covers. The kids are big enough they can climb in and out of the back, the Pentastar is more than enough motor for her (and gets great mileage), and most importantly it's light enough I can flat tow it with my Sprinter-based RV (which wasn't really possible with the big JK). And since it isn't her DD, the lack of rear doors is no big deal.

And for a serious off road toy, I have an AEV Brute with a Hemi.

--Donnie
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I think gecko green is hideous, but beyond that I agree the color palette sucks right now. That's why I decided to be color blind and just buy based on the trim and options I wanted.

The best color they've had in years was the desert tan they offered for only part of '12 and then discontinued it
Where's your writeup on your new one?

Yeah, we agreed if we can find one optioned the way we want, we will look at any color.
That said, we will look at any gecko green one that has the few options we couldn't really add later. I actually found one that is exactly what we want minus the dual top package, so I would have to buy a soft top for it. Price seems great too, but it's six hours away.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #59
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:

Dark Saddle leather was a stipulation on my build. It was back and forth with being available or not, and I told the dealer if I couldn't get it, there was no deal.

Picture yourself as a construction/project manager (one of 50 or so) on an $11 Billion dollar project. Yes, I go to construction sites 3 times a week. I'm also usually wearing a tie. Leather makes sense, as does the Jeep.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #60
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Where's your writeup on your new one?

Yeah, we agreed if we can find one optioned the way we want, we will look at any color.
That said, we will look at any gecko green one that has the few options we couldn't really add later. I actually found one that is exactly what we want minus the dual top package, so I would have to buy a soft top for it. Price seems great too, but it's six hours away.
No write up, not really much to talk about by the time you get to Wrangler #6. Compared to my '09 two door I am enjoying the extra space of the JKU, interior is nicer and seats are more comfortable, the engine makes more power but contrary to Chrysler's advertising gets slightly worse mileage (though I hope that changes as it breaks in), the Uconnect 430 was the only option it had that I didn't want, but now that i've lived with it I'm glad I have it. That's about it.

I've been through everything from a '94 YJ that was a stripped "postmaster special" to the current '13 JKU. Wranglers generally get better with each generation, and each generation gets better after it's first year introduction, much like any other vehicle. When I buy a Jeep I want the best Jeep for doing things Jeeps were designed to do. That means I want the best off road equipment package - which is a Rubicon - and I generally look for less in the way of creature comforts. The '13 Rubicon I bought was nearly perfect for me with the exception of the aforementioned Uconnect 430 that I quickly grew to appreciate. Beyond that it is equipped with a 6 speed manual, max tow package, hardtop, and slush mats. That's it for options. The rest of my "option" money will be spend on lift, 35's, rock rails, bumpers, winch, skids, and another trip to Moab.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: