ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #61
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
I was told they have a quota on the "wild" colors and stop making them when they reach that quota *just* to keep them more limited. So they are already done with crush, dozer, and gecko.

I was in the same boat a few weeks back wanting a gecko and willing to order to get exactly what I wanted. Oh, and a two door. Then found out they were done with that color. So I started searching and found a dealer in Georgia that had 9 2 door Rubis and they order all theirs the EXACT same way. All auto, soft top, no body color anything else, UConnect 430, tow package, cloth, no extra airbags. I was going to get the standard stereo with the Bluetooth package instead of the 430, but I'm glad I ended up with the 430. Oh, at the time that dealer had TWO geckos
--Donnie
And what dealer was it? I don't mind traveling to buy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
No write up, not really much to talk about by the time you get to Wrangler #6. Compared to my '09 two door I am enjoying the extra space of the JKU, interior is nicer and seats are more comfortable, the engine makes more power but contrary to Chrysler's advertising gets slightly worse mileage (though I hope that changes as it breaks in), the Uconnect 430 was the only option it had that I didn't want, but now that i've lived with it I'm glad I have it. That's about it.

I've been through everything from a '94 YJ that was a stripped "postmaster special" to the current '13 JKU. Wranglers generally get better with each generation, and each generation gets better after it's first year introduction, much like any other vehicle. When I buy a Jeep I want the best Jeep for doing things Jeeps were designed to do. That means I want the best off road equipment package - which is a Rubicon - and I generally look for less in the way of creature comforts. The '13 Rubicon I bought was nearly perfect for me with the exception of the aforementioned Uconnect 430 that I quickly grew to appreciate. Beyond that it is equipped with a 6 speed manual, max tow package, hardtop, and slush mats. That's it for options. The rest of my "option" money will be spend on lift, 35's, rock rails, bumpers, winch, skids, and another trip to Moab.
Yeah, but what color is it?

Once I talked it over with the wife, the option list got neutered down considerably. Gecko, Auto, heated seats, tow package, remote start, dual top with color matched top. Comes in right at $40k. The one I found has everything but the colored top and soft top. It also has that 430 option I don't want. But, at $5k below sticker, I am seriously considering it.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer
 
djb_rh's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
And what dealer was it? I don't mind traveling to buy stuff.
Ed Voyles, just outside Atlanta.


--Donnie
__________________
My blog
djb_rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #63
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
And what dealer was it? I don't mind traveling to buy stuff.



Yeah, but what color is it?

Once I talked it over with the wife, the option list got neutered down considerably. Gecko, Auto, heated seats, tow package, remote start, dual top with color matched top. Comes in right at $40k. The one I found has everything but the colored top and soft top. It also has that 430 option I don't want. But, at $5k below sticker, I am seriously considering it.
White.

I know the 430 is expensive. But I've decided it's worth it.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #64
rodhersh OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 89
I'm also having trouble finding a vehicle equipped the way I want. I'm willing to except any color as long as it's white. I found one in Albuquerque last weekend but wasnít able to contact the dealer, as we went back to South Bend to be with my little sister in Hospice.

Now that Iím home, the truck is no longer on their website. Iíll call them tomorrow but it probably wasnít meant to be. Iíll probably just order a 2014.
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #65
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Having driven both offroad I would agree that automatic transmissions work better for offroading.
Sorry, can't agree after having driven and/or owned FJ40's, a G-Wagen, several M-series Dodges, an M886, other miscellaneous pickups, a Swiss Army Unimog, and an '08 Power Wagon.

I'll take the standard transmission every time without exception off road. A manual transmission in my extensive and varied experience allows more precise throttle control in more situations, and I've come to appreciate that.

Take your slushboxes (and mine-- the one that's in the PW mentioned above) and moor your outboard runabout with them: less control up hills, and almost none descending them, and too easy to burn up in other situations.

The only application I would favor an auto for would be mud bogging, and I don't see any point in that.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #66
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,302
Mine sucks. Hate it. 18k miles now.

Doesn't tow for crap.


It's namesake


Carries bikes well.






No need for a diesel.



Saw this while we lived in Germany. Meh.





We got the 430, 6 speed, heated seats, no leather, tow package, and steering wheel controls other than ordering the colors we wanted.

I kept my last Jeep 14 years. I suspect I'll keep this piece of junk for the same timeframe at least. I could go on for days about how great it is for hauling kids, dogs, bikes, people, etc.

It is quieter than a new G Wagen at freeway speed and even with the goofy mud tires will do better in a slalom. We have one of the "real" Gs too in an '85 300GD we brought straight back from Europe, and it sits and does nothing as the Jeep is that good.

Buy the Jeep. Order it how you want. Mine was done in only a couple months.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #67
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Mine sucks. Hate it. 18k miles now.

Doesn't tow for crap.


It's namesake


Carries bikes well.






No need for a diesel.



Saw this while we lived in Germany. Meh.





We got the 430, 6 speed, heated seats, no leather, tow package, and steering wheel controls other than ordering the colors we wanted.

I kept my last Jeep 14 years. I suspect I'll keep this piece of junk for the same timeframe at least. I could go on for days about how great it is for hauling kids, dogs, bikes, people, etc.

It is quieter than a new G Wagen at freeway speed and even with the goofy mud tires will do better in a slalom. We have one of the "real" Gs too in an '85 300GD we brought straight back from Europe, and it sits and does nothing as the Jeep is that good.

Buy the Jeep. Order it how you want. Mine was done in only a couple months.
Two questions:

1) how are you achieving that kind of mileage. If that is pure highway what are you getting in the city?

2) what mods (if any) have you made to hang in excess of 500 lbs off of the hitch?
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #68
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Two questions:

1) how are you achieving that kind of mileage. If that is pure highway what are you getting in the city?
I cheated. That was coming off a mtn pass in CO on the break in drive. It was dirt, though.

Realistic mileage when it was stock was 21 at anything under 70 and 19+ in the city (I drive like a grandma). Now with the 300 lbs of crap I've put on it (armor and the winch) it's more like 19 at just under 70 and 18+ in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
2) what mods (if any) have you made to hang in excess of 500 lbs off of the hitch?
Nowhere near 500 lbs up there. That's a WR250 and the tray is rated to 300 lbs. My guess tongue weight is just under 400 lbs. Anyway, I did a 2" spring lift to account for the weight of the winch but retained the stock tires. Max GVWR on the camper is 3500 lbs, so it's not that bad.

With no water in the camper and no wind, I've gotten 18,5 at 55 mph. Loaded as you see here I got just over 17 but on the way back from Death Valley and a bunch of wind and no water it dropped to 15.

Oh yeah, no slush box for me, so that is probably why my mileage is so good.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #69
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post


Nowhere near 500 lbs up there. That's a WR250 and the tray is rated to 300 lbs. My guess tongue weight is just under 400 lbs. Anyway, I did a 2" spring lift to account for the weight of the winch but retained the stock tires. Max GVWR on the camper is 3500 lbs, so it's not that bad.

With no water in the camper and no wind, I've gotten 18,5 at 55 mph. Loaded as you see here I got just over 17 but on the way back from Death Valley and a bunch of wind and no water it dropped to 15.

Oh yeah, no slush box for me, so that is probably why my mileage is so good.
No slush box for me either - 6 speed manual. My best mileage so far on the highway has been about 17.5. I've seen high 15's in the city. But I haven't broken 2000 miles yet.

WR250 on your trailer + batteries + propane + inherent tongue weight of the trailer can't be much less than 500#
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #70
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,683
That CBR has got to be close to 500# on the lift though.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #71
Range Motorsport
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Take your slushboxes (and mine-- the one that's in the PW mentioned above) and moor your outboard runabout with them: less control up hills, and almost none descending them, and too easy to burn up in other situations.
I also have driven a fair share of wheeling rigs and would take my AW4 in my XJ anyday. It holds gears going uphill and downhill and has a smoother power delivery from a stop. I have never burned up a transmission but I have toasted my fair share of clutch material.

Your problem is you have never driven a good automatic.
__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #72
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
I also have driven a fair share of wheeling rigs and would take my AW4 in my XJ anyday. It holds gears going uphill and downhill and has a smoother power delivery from a stop. I have never burned up a transmission but I have toasted my fair share of clutch material.

Your problem is you have never driven a good automatic.
The AW4 is incredibly durable. Though failures are comparatively rare, I've been inside a couple of them for broken input shafts. So yes, they can be broken. Putting that unit aside and looking at typical Automatics compared to manuals/clutches, either one can be broken by a driver who doesn't know how to treat them. But the fact is there are advantages and disadvantages to both transmissions both on and off road. And Automatics in general are certainly easier to break than a manual gearbox.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #73
milq
Studly Adventurer
 
milq's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Southern IL
Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Realistic mileage when it was stock was 21 at anything under 70 and 19+ in the city (I drive like a grandma). Now with the 300 lbs of crap I've put on it (armor and the winch) it's more like 19 at just under 70 and 18+ in the city.

Oh yeah, no slush box for me, so that is probably why my mileage is so good.
Still, 21 MPG is plenty respectable with 4.10 final drive gears. I've got an auto FJ Cruiser with 3.73 and can get 21-22 on the highway, but it goes to shite in town for sure. I would've preferred a manual in it but didn't want the full time 4wd transfer case that came along with it. I just wanted out of my 2007 Wrangler that was such a heap...not hating, it was truly a nightmare vehicle.
__________________
Please visit www.illinoiscarry.com and help us bring the right to carry to IL!
milq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #74
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
No slush box for me either - 6 speed manual. My best mileage so far on the highway has been about 17.5. I've seen high 15's in the city. But I haven't broken 2000 miles yet.

WR250 on your trailer + batteries + propane + inherent tongue weight of the trailer can't be much less than 500#
Dunno what to tell you. I do all the tricks; put it in neutral and coast when down hill or coming to a stop, short shift, skip gears, and use the cruise at every opportunity. I also really like the little "ECO" light on the cluster and strive to have that on as much as possible. It goes without saying that I don't speed much if ever.

I'm running Mobil 1 in it and have since new (not to get into that horrible debate). My mileage has really not changed much since delivery and the worst I've ever gotten even towing a full load has been just under 15, but that was in high head winds and going over a couple passes.

On the tongue weight, maybe I should measure it, but as you can see, I don't have the nose of the trailer and rear of the Jeep dipped, so I must not be doing too much incorrectly. I also have the Jeep wired for trailer brakes and set them up correctly with the brake controller and the whole setup feels very stable and safe.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #75
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,683
longtallsally- what moto carrier is that?

Oh yeah, I've been trying to talk the wife in to the deep cherry red rubicon they have on the local lot. She still wants them to get a gecko green one for us instead. Then she found out they are going to offer one in a color called - Floyd - in a few months.
As in PINK Floyd. Same color as the furious fuchsia challengers they did a year or so ago in tribute to the panther pink from 1970.
I might have to see about getting one of the green ones down here ASAP.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014