Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I was camped out in the badlands. 95F outside, setup the tent and went off to the store for some beer, which is a decent drive. Just made it into the store before they closed and bought a 6 pack of some awful stuff. This was the mid point of a 2500 mile trip and I was heading back home the next day.

A mile or two from camp my hastily fastened 6 pack let go and it was a total loss. I could hear them dropping off a few at a time and exploding but sadly could not save them. :(

nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
**off** [klay]

I use ROK Staps. I don't lose shit.
**Straps** [klay]

Haven't lost anything....yet.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
65bellett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
My first post may as well be an embarrassing one. The first first longish distance ride I ever did was on my cbr250rr at the tender age of 17. The back pack I was using some how came undone and I lost the entire contents I ran out of petrol and sat on the side of the road in the rain for 2 hours waiting for the R.A.C.V to come and fill me up

That was the beginning of a long list of disaster touring stories. Lucky I am older and wiser now
65bellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
I once left my tank bag sitting next to a fuel pump where I stopped to fill up at the end of that day's riding. Fortunately the service station was right next door to the motel I was staying at and I quickly ran back across the parking lot and retrieved it. The only thing of any value in the tank bag was my case with SDHC cards containing all my digital pictures of my trip up to that point.

I now place my tank bag on my motorcycle seat when filling up, instead of placing it on the ground.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
I lost my debit card three days into a cross country trip. I left it on my dry bag after a gas stop.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,242
Had a tailbag fall off the bike once but managed to turn around and pick it up before someone ran over it or picked it up.

Now I have managed to lose a ton of expensive stuff mostly flying out of my pockets. To date it's 1 MD player,2 MP3 players, 3 cell phones and 2 GPS's and my wallet. Inmate Geek coined the phrase Albiesumable because of my pension for dropping stuff off the bike.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Once on a trip in Nova Scotia, a cage chased me down: the sidecase latch on my K100RS opened and the contents spilled out - I did not even realize.

Never learning from my mistakes, many years later, I did not latch the K12RS sidecase properly. Coming off an Interstate, I realized it was gone; rode the highway back about 20 miles to where I touched it last time. Sure enough, it was laying in the shoulder, with cover scratched up but otherwise unharmed. A lucky shot.

A few years back, did some off-pavement riding. I plowed hard into a big pothole and felt someting hitting me on my back. It was my Vario topcase (on an R12GS) that broke off and sailed well ahead of me. I cleaned it up and use it until today (however, I did implement the "anti-fly-off" locking pin retrofit).

Meaning: bad luck? Or am I just a klutz? Don't tell me.

-->> James Bay & North Road Solo Blitz -->> Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego Cappuccino Tour
-->> Trans-Labrador Highway Solo Blitz --->> South African Cappuccino Tour
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,347
uhh,,yes

Brand spanking new BMW 1979 R100 RT, beautiful bike in the fogged 2 tone red and black scheme.
Krauser bags,,same as the ones on the R90S, so you'd think we'd know how to operate them.
Bought the bike in oregon, traveling north the next day, and almost home to the Skagit Valley,on the back road to home,,a car pulls up behind,,flashing lights, and honking the horn.
I look at them,"wtf is his problem?",,I slow and pull to the side to let them pass.
They pull up alongside, and the arm reaching out of the passenger side has some item of my wife's clothing in hand, flapping like a flag in the breeze.
I pull over and stop,,they stop just ahead of us on the shoulder.
Gal comes running back to us and says,"all you stuff is back there on the road",
Krauser lid is hanging at a 90 degree, wide open!,,
,Wifey neglected proper latch technique, and I failed at pre-ride walk-around and systems check.

We went back (a county road, not much traffic) and collected all the stuff that went airborn. Added bungees around the cases after that,,just to be sure!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
Maybe five years ago, I had a bag lashed to the back of the bike. Reaching back to make sure the bag was still there, I realized it was gone. I turned around and went back for it. Luckily I found it only two or three miles back on the side of the road.

Another time, 5+ years ago. I failed to zip up the little forearm pocket on my riding gear. My little mini wallet fell out on the highway. That was a bitch.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Lost an Ortlieb dry bag from the luggage rack on my KLR a couple months ago.

It was overloaded (completely full with textbooks) and I took a bad line over a washout on a dirt road, which caused the rear suspension to bottom out. Luckily my destination was only a half-mile up, so I noticed soon after and went back for it. It was sitting on the road undamaged and clipped right back on. The "ears" on the bottom popped out of the frame, allowing the bag to rotate enough for the top to unclip.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #26
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,768
Back in 87 I lived in Turkey and a friend of mine borrowed my boombox so he can listen to some jams while banging a Colonel's daugher (they ended up married and then divorced) at one of the ancient castles near by. On the way back she's riding pillion and my boombox was in the back pack. Well at 65mph, the zipper worked it's way open and somehow the boombox passed them on the highway while shattering to pieces. He thought I was going to kill him but it wasn't a big deal; ended up at the BX and bought me a new one.

And that's all I've ever lost on a bike and it wasn't even me riding.

These days I keep double checking my bags in the mirror or by reaching back to feel if they're still there, I guess I'm a bit paranoid.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
seetomgo
d00d

Oddometer: 32
I lost a rain cover for a tail bag in a torrential downpour somewhere in Illinois or Missouri (can't remember).
seetomgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Lost a nice new Arcteryx reversible fleece w/ waterproof outer/inner layer outta the milk rate on my KLR.

Cool thing was, I FOUND it two weeks later!!

Shitty thing was, it was wrapped around my rear sprocket.

What was left of it, anyways...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #29
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #30
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzl View Post
I lost a calculator that slipped out of the bag.
Me too! That was a very long time ago and someone picked it up and gave it back to me.

Lost the entire topbox off my R1100GS due to the crappy mounting rail coming loose. What a f***ing stupid idea from BMW - to hold the luggage rail together with a couple of short self-tapping screws into plastic. Once I realized it was missing, I retraced my steps and recovered the topbox from the median, with a few scrapes and scratches.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote