ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 1,827
I have a friend with a Beta 300 fourstroke and a (beta?)80cc trials bike. Both are outfitted with seats. The 80 actually has an autoclutch. He has done some other minor kods to increase the trail on both bikes.

Ive ridden both of them and highly enjoyed them. I would like todo something similar when I have some extra money. My wife liked playing on the 80 too.

He is an older guy (69-70?), and says these bikes are easier to ride then his other enduro/dualsport bikes.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
DrKayak
Retro Rider
 
DrKayak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Shingle Springs CA
Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_boot42 View Post
.... I have found that on the less gnarly sections of trail the sherco is either lugging 4th or revving the piss out of 3rd... the big gap between 3rd and 4th is what bugs me and why I want a GG (it would be a better trail riding bike).
This sounds a lot like my Beta. On easy trail 3rd is too slow and 4th will bottom the suspenssion (too fast). I mostly stay in 3rd and just call it "fast enough" when it starts to rev out. But, I ride solo and don't try to keep up with enduro bikes. I have a KTM 450 for going fast.

I plan to upgrade to a Beta Rev3 to get the long range seat/gas tank which is not available for the Techno. or get a KTM Free Ride and quit trail riding on my trials.

I have been warned to stay away from GasGas as they are not as durable as a Beta. GasGas are great comp bikes, super light, but the light weight comes at a cost of durability.

The different gearing on a GasGas is a new consideration... thanks for the info.
__________________
2011 690 Enduro R
2013 Beta Evo
07 450 EXC
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 1,827
Heres a pic of my buddies trials trail bike

Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Bent_boot42
Adventurer
 
Bent_boot42's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I have been warned to stay away from GasGas as they are not as durable as a Beta. GasGas are great comp bikes, super light, but the light weight comes at a cost of durability.
I have heard the same thing about the GG bikes (not as durable because all effort has gone into light weight, etc.) But from what I have seen/felt from riding with A LOT of GG bikes (I am one of the 10% in the area who don't ride GG for trials since there is a good GG dealer in town) is that the more modern (.... say 2005 and newer) GG bikes are just as reliable and durable as the beta/sherco bikes of the same vintage.

I have a few friends with GG trials bikes and I have helped them with maintenance and witnessed a good number of crashes/bails/drops and I can't see any significant difference in durability between my sherco and these GGs (all friend's bikes are 2005 or newer). though I am hardly an expert mechanic or an expert rider and I have only been riding trials for 2 years, but I haven't seen any reason to doubt the newer Gassers... I will be trading soon and I am sure I will crash regularly enough to figure this out for sure in short order.
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Boom Boom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Heres a pic of my buddies trials trail bike


This bike is now sporting carbide spike tires along with an auto clutch.
Makes the owner happy so that is all that matters.
Had a huge grin on his face as he was chugging up snow and ice covered hills that a standard trials bike could only dream of climbing.
__________________
2014 Sherco ST 300 2011 Gas Gas 300ec
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_boot42 View Post
I have heard the same thing about the GG bikes (not as durable because all effort has gone into light weight, etc.) But from what I have seen/felt from riding with A LOT of GG bikes (I am one of the 10% in the area who don't ride GG for trials since there is a good GG dealer in town) is that the more modern (.... say 2005 and newer) GG bikes are just as reliable and durable as the beta/sherco bikes of the same vintage.

I have a few friends with GG trials bikes and I have helped them with maintenance and witnessed a good number of crashes/bails/drops and I can't see any significant difference in durability between my sherco and these GGs (all friend's bikes are 2005 or newer). though I am hardly an expert mechanic or an expert rider and I have only been riding trials for 2 years, but I haven't seen any reason to doubt the newer Gassers... I will be trading soon and I am sure I will crash regularly enough to figure this out for sure in short order.
Glad you are out riding and having fun. The gasser issues have nothing to do with crashing. Unless you are unfortunate enough to slam the gear shift lever into a rock! Which is one of the main issues, most bikes do not require the case split to change the shift shaft, the pro does. Most bikes have a full gear for the kick starter, the gasser has less than half a gear. And by the way I enjoy riding the Pro more than any other bike anymore. It just has a few quirks that could cause seriuos damage to the wallet. Even if the bike is NEW.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
laser17
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Boston,Massachusetts
Oddometer: 709
Dont forget - you can replace the shift shaft on the new GG's w/o splitting the cases. Started with the 2012 Raga bikes. Very trick - too bad MINE doesnt have that feature....
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,425
I knew someONE would be along to mention that. We`ll see how long it is before I get to `ckeck out` this new feature. Actually we are getting along fine on our old Raga! Pretty much hit and miss or just lucky!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
Bent_boot42
Adventurer
 
Bent_boot42's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Glad you are out riding and having fun. The gasser issues have nothing to do with crashing. Unless you are unfortunate enough to slam the gear shift lever into a rock! Which is one of the main issues, most bikes do not require the case split to change the shift shaft, the pro does. Most bikes have a full gear for the kick starter, the gasser has less than half a gear. And by the way I enjoy riding the Pro more than any other bike anymore. It just has a few quirks that could cause seriuos damage to the wallet. Even if the bike is NEW.
Ya, the weather has been really mild. I ride year round anyway but so far this winter has been nothing but great riding weather.

Would it be reasonable to drill/cut a weak spot into the shifter so that if you do slam it into a rock the lever will snap instead of wrecking the shift shaft?
This worries me since I recently bashed the shifter (lever) on my sherco hard enough to bend it in half (it snapped when trying to straighten it). The shift shaft seems unaffected

On a separate note I borrowed a GG shifter and it worked as a temporary replacement and allowed the sherco to finish the race. The shift levers are, of course, different lengths and bends but the splines fit on the shift shaft and a shift lever in a weird position is better than no shift lever at all.
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Will Hesch OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 41
Bent Boot, my 2012 Gas Gas 280 TXT Pro (gosh, that's a mouthful!) has notches cast into the shift lever which I'm assuming is to weaken it so that if it gets stuck between a rock and a hard place...(in theory), it will break rather than messing up the shaft.
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
sprinter 27
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 25
I wouldn't get too concerned about the shift shaft.my talent level has let me often drop the bike on both sides.never had any failures yet.
its all the luck of the draw when crashing,had the throttle catch a branch once,bike went wide open over a ledge that one cost me a top end. And a fellow rider here fell over in 5th on his new beta and it lunched the gearbox.
sh#^ happens on them all, Lady Luck has more to do with it than build quality IMO.
sprinter 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fasteer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 282
I lucked into this TY175F last spring.

Haven't ridden it much yet, but I'm coming around to the idea that it will be fun on trails that are not much fun on the 511.
I tried the 511 with carbide studs (gripstuds.com) in the snow/ice and it's a handfull.
Now swapping the studs into the Scorpa.
Hoping to ride it more in 2013.
__________________
87% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot.
fasteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Will Hesch OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 41
Fasteer, I like it! You'll have a ball on that little trail-machine. I like your license plate holder-clever!
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
jblen
n00b
 
jblen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Oddometer: 9
I'm a trail rider that bought a trials bike to improve my trail riding. Although I suspect trail riding will happen less and less as I ride the trials bike more and more!
jblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
WetSideRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Kenmore, Washington
Oddometer: 1,143
My Hontesa and I get around some with friends.








When you ride with these kinda bikes, though



Most of the time it's a "Where's Waldo" thing when you want to take a picture of them when they are moving.



But its only a minute or two to catch up

And with the Hontesa, no dabs required to tag the summit.

WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014