Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,770
Dynaplug Tubeless Tire Repair Kit anyone use it yet?

Dynaplug 1007 Tubeless Tire Repair Kit anyone use it ? any good ?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 458
Got it. Used it. Got me home. 1500 miles. Tire was at the end of life so it was replaced at the end of the trip.
DRGNHTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 261
What about this one? Essentially the same product but comes with pre-inserted plugs and ss or alu handle. Fits under the seat, too.

Personally I think nothing beats the versatility of sticky strips, Iīll always carry those in long trips, but this piece plus a few CO2 cartridges can work around town.

Anyone bought it, used it?

PS: I hope the plug itīs a thick one, īcause in theory it has to be as thick as two sticky strips, right? Can someone comment about thickness, sticky strips X dynaplug?

ACD screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 01:49 PM
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD View Post

Anyone bought it, used it?
I bought one of the original versions. Used it twice on the way to AK, had to re-do both with a real sticky string after the dynaplugs got thrown out of the tire, causing rapid air loss. Two separate incidents. Got maybe 10 miles out of the first one, 20 out of the second. Not impressed with it.

My humble opinion is that the second style might do better, as it has a reamer tool. I believe in my case, the holes, which were small staple holes, not larger nail or screw holes, were simply not clean enough for the dynaplug to vulcanize with the tire.

After reaming the holes out and installing a orange sticky string, I never had another problem with the punctures. Got three on that trip, didn't bother with the Dynaplug the third time, just strait to the full size sticky string. I gave the Dynaplug tool and extra strings away when I got home, with full warning.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd View Post
personally i think nothing beats the versatility of sticky strips...
+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I bought one of the original versions. Used it twice on the way to AK, had to re-do both with a real sticky string after the dynaplugs got thrown out of the tire, causing rapid air loss. Two separate incidents. Got maybe 10 miles out of the first one, 20 out of the second. Not impressed with it.
So I assume my perception was right, that the plug is not as thick as the sticky strips. Perhaps thatīs why on the instructions Dynaplug suggests that more than one plug may be necessary. You CAN use more than one regular sticky strip per puncture but that would be more of a gash than a hole!

So bottom line is that Dynaplug may perform better on smaller punctures. I found out that it is next to impossible to fill a small puncture with sticky strips, without using the reamer first to widen the hole. On the other hand, when you use the reamer more strands of the tire are cut, and safety is affected.

I had 5 punctures on the same Tourances in about two years:

1. Fixed with StopNGo mushrooms the night before a trip. Found out that it was leaking so I had to use a can of foam or whatever it is called. Forgot to patch it after returning home so this fix lasted 9,000km.

2. Finally the mushroom lost its head and gave up. I fixed the hole again with sticky strips, since I had lost my StopNGo kit!

3. Sticky strip lasted for a long time. I put knobbies on and later re-installed the same Tourance, but not before trimming the excess strip that was left INSIDE the tire. What a great idea! Donīt asked me why... Predictably, a few hundred miles later the tire spit the strip. Replaced it with another strip.

4. Big nail. Fixed it with a sticky strip.

5. Medium nail. Fixed it with a sticky strip.

When I got the chance I replaced all strips for mushroom-like patches. They look like a tack with a large, flat head, and you pull that from the inside the tire and vulcanize the patch. This patch is not going anywhere, will stay put forever. I think I still have another 5,000 km on that rear, and will not miss it when I replace it with Karoo3. Hope it is available soon.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 765
There was a review in (I think) RIDER a while ago. He mentioned that he repaired 6 small punctures and they all held.
We fixed a GS last fall in WV and it held until the guy got home 700 miles later.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD View Post
So I assume my perception was right, that the plug is not as thick as the sticky strips.
Correct, the Dynaplug stickies are 5/32" diameter. (and despite following the instructions to 'wet' them for easier insertion in the tool, it's kind of a pita to get them all the way in, in my experience.
Quote:
So bottom line is that Dynaplug may perform better on smaller punctures. I found out that it is next to impossible to fill a small puncture with sticky strips, without using the reamer first to widen the hole. On the other hand, when you use the reamer more strands of the tire are cut, and safety is affected.
That's the idea, but I did not find it to function that way. The reamer is a necessary part of the process. A dirty hole won't allow the sticky strip to vulcanize to the tire, becoming a permanent repair. The second style tool above may have that advantage, since it contains a small dia. reamer, but I'm not convinced that enlarging the hole with a normal reamer significantly impacts the safety of the tire. I have ridden 4-6k miles on a sticky string repaired tire, taking it to the end of it's life, w/o a failure of the original repair. I also noted that the Dynaplug sticky strings were not nearly as sticky as the auto/truck ones.

Quote:
I had 5 punctures on the same Tourances in about two years:

1. Fixed with StopNGo mushrooms the night before a trip. Found out that it was leaking

When I got the chance I replaced all strips for mushroom-like patches. They look like a tack with a large, flat head, and you pull that from the inside the tire and vulcanize the patch. This patch is not going anywhere, will stay put forever. I think I still have another 5,000 km on that rear, and will not miss it when I replace it with Karoo3. Hope it is available soon.
StopNGo mushroom plugs do not vulcanize to the tire, and are not intended to be a permanent repair, only to get you to the nearest dealer for a proper repair or new tire.

I agree with the mushroom like patches being the best method. These come in different sizes and are installed from the inside. That said, if I don't have that luxury, I consider the sticky string repairs permanent and don't generally replace them with the inside patch.

Something interesting I found out during a discussion with the local moto police one day, (not a roadside chat ), was that they will do sticky string repairs on moto tires up to three times, unless it's in the same 1/4 of the tire as a previous repair, before tossing the tire. With all the riding on shoulders that they do, flats are common.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
betts
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've had it and used it for years, mostly to repair car tires. It works as advertised! I do at times need several plugs.
betts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
I have had good results with Dynaplugs. 2 times on a bike, 3 times on a car, and countless times on my garden tractor!
I drive my garden tractor in my woods and the thorns are murder on old tires.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Dynaplug 1007 Tubeless Tire Repair Kit anyone use it ? any good ?

Go to princess auto and get a sticky worm type tire plug kit. On sale it'll be 5 bucks. And get the compressor at canadian tire while on sale for 9.99.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
What does this product offer over the traditional sticky 'worms?' I've used them on multiple occasions with no difficulties or complaints. What would make someone decide to purchase this product instead? Serious question.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 765
No need to ream the tire with DynaPlug.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote