User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
moto99 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cell Phone Charger

Does any body use an external battery pack to charge their cell phone? I am looking at the Goal Zero and Brunton. How well do these work? Or should I just buy a USB adapter and wire it to the bike's battery, which brand of this do you use?

Thanks
moto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Cuse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Energizer

Energizer makes one that is case to hold the phone. It easily doubles the service time. I really only use it while skiing though. It allows me to use apps like Alpine Relay and listen to music all day long
Cuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
i use mophie and goal zero. i guess it depends on what your needs are. do you want a one shot charge? mophie is good for that. or the goal zero battery pack. if you want continues and no way to use other power then you need a solar panel to keep things going... they both work awesome!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
Go puck is what i use. I can get about 5 charges out of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
If your use is simply for the cell-phone charging then I'd go with a simple USB or cig adapter wired to the bike. No muss, no fuss.

The Goal-Zero products work great and I have also used powermonkeys from Brunton. I have used the Nomad occasionally on long trips but taking along the extra equipment just for the cell phone seems overkill and likely the most expensive way to solve the problem.

If you have other power needs then look into the Nomad/guide 10 as you get a lot of versatility and it works very well (for me).
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
In addition to the USB thingy plugged into the 12v lighter plug on the bike, I always carry this nice little kit with me on vacation/travel.

I have a lot of 18650 cells around (some new cells and some more salvaged from broken laptops) so this kit is perfect for me.

I removed the foam insert inside and discarded the useless adapters (Nokia proprietary plug and the like) to only keep the iPod, mini-UBS and male USB (to recharge the cells). I also bought a lilliputian mini-to-micro USB adapter so now I can charge every gadgets I have. Cellphone, GPS, iPod, video cam, tablet, name it.

I too threw a UBS/lighter adapter and 2x 18650 cases (case for 2 = 4 cells + the one inside the charger), a spare cellphone battery and a spare digicam battery (both inside the net portion of the case) inside so I have plenty of power to play with now.

Oh, there also has a neat flashlight adapter included in the kit. Nice to have a(nother) backup light.

It's interesting to not have to stay near the bike switched on with the headlights shinning because you forgot to charge the cellphone during the day.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 08:03 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto99 View Post
Does any body use an external battery pack to charge their cell phone? I am looking at the Goal Zero and Brunton. How well do these work? Or should I just buy a USB adapter and wire it to the bike's battery, which brand of this do you use?
It will be hard to beat simply charging off of the bike. Even the weakest charging system should have an extra watt or two to spare.

Someone did show me this a couple of weeks back. Most solar chargers are cruel jokes, and worthless on a smartphone in particular. This unit CLAIMS to have a 2.4 watt solar panel, not great, but not bad. And a 3400mahr battery. Which should fully charge many smartphones two full charges alone. And at only $20, it is a pretty good deal IMHO. Good for camping anyway.

Edit: I forgot the link. Here it is.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...c_devices.html

worwig screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 05:46 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I keep a Brunton charger in the tank bag in case I'm in the boonies and have to leave the bike. In an emergency the portable extra juice might come in handy.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I have energizer power bank battery charger. I think of it as an emergency power source, which I only use when my phone's battery is low or empty. It's more like a Rotopax fuel tank.

For my kind of ride, I think a power bank is all I need and it's the most practical. When I do long distance ride, like riding out of town, I do not camp, I stay in a hotel. So I can always plug my phone (or my power bank) to an outlet. I always have electricity source nearby.

Having said all that, I'm thinking about buying a USB charger, like 3BR's usb powerport, for my bike

Reason is, I do not use a GPS on my bike, but last week I bought Tomtom app for my iphone, and start using it ... and it drains battery fast. My power bank is still more than sufficient to recharge the phone during a day long ride, with continuous music and occasional Tomtom use, to check my location, but I think I will need a USB charger if I want to use Tomtom's turn-by-turn navigation
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Consider a battery pack with a solar charger. You can find them on Amazon for little money and they work great. I keep giving mine away to non 12v equipped bike buddies, but I try to keep one handy.

I'm paranoid about being without juice, so I have 2 battery packs, 12v on the bike, and a large solar charger that will charge the bike battery in a pinch.

I've even been thinking about getting one of those outlets that screw into a lightbulb fixture!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
It's way nicer just to leave your phone off and keep it just for emergencies. I leave mine home as much as possible.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
It's way nicer just to leave your phone off and keep it just for emergencies. I leave mine home as much as possible.
Lol! It's hard to use in an emergency if it's at home!

Like GPS (which I use it for as well) you don't have to use it, but it's bloody nice to have when you need it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
.... and a large solar charger that will charge the bike battery in a pinch. .... I've even been thinking about getting one of those outlets that screw into a lightbulb fixture!

How long does that solar panel take to charge the bike's battery? Is it quicker than the time required for a stranded biker in the desert to die of dehydration?

I pack a LiPo 4200 MA/h spare battery w/ USB outlet at all times. It can recharge an iPod 3x. It can charge anything else at least 2x. My top trunk is wired with an SAE / USB outlet to keep things charged. Solar would take days. ... just sayin'

FB
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
How long does that solar panel take to charge the bike's battery? Is it quicker than the time required for a stranded biker in the desert to die of dehydration?

I pack a LiPo 4200 MA/h spare battery w/ USB outlet at all times. It can recharge an iPod 3x. It can charge anything else at least 2x. My top trunk is wired with an SAE / USB outlet to keep things charged. Solar would take days. ... just sayin'

FB
It's more of a top-up or trickle charger for the bike battery. As for devices, it appears to be the same as plugging them into the wall (or at least a computer)

It's a last resort so I can't be bothered to dig it out and compare numbers.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
sumwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I wanted a USB charger I could use on the road away from AC that didn't cost a fortune. I rounded up about $20 worth of parts and assembled this. Charges the phone in about 2hrs from off the shelf AA batteries.

sumwon is offline   Reply With Quote