User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
BugKillr OP
Time to Ride

Oddometer: 12
Thumb Sidi boot comparison

Here are a few observations on two different pairs of Sidi boots along with pics. I was trying to decide between the Armada and Canyon boots by Sidi. Both are Goretex, and are similar in price, the Armada being $40 more than the Canyon. Keep in mind I ordered the Armada in 12.5 and the Canyon in 13 so I could see what size I liked best.
Side by side, the Armada is about 3/4" taller than the Canyon:

First the Canyon: opens with velcro and a buckle:

I like the shift pads on the Canyon better, also notice the flex gussets at the ankle:

Canyon has hard inserts for shin guards:

Now the Armada, not crazy about the shift pads:

Shown with shin guards open, and they are removable for lighter duty:

Zipper with two stops, a lower one for those with hamhock calves:

The rear gusset on the Armada drops the waterproof level to about 9", but adds some ventilation for the warm days:

Armada had better armor on the outside:

and on the heels:

So which one did I keep, and which one did I send back? I am keeping the Armada. I like the zipper, its quick and clean, and I like the fact that you can remove the top part for lighter duty, or add it back for tougher stuff. For me, the deal killer on the Canyon was the buckle. Although it works, the on/off process was too cumbersome. With the Armada, you zip, press the velcro, and done.
These are just my impressions for now. The Armada seems to be more versatile for my uses, and worth the $40 difference.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
MisterC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Nice comparison. I've had a pair of Canyons for about a year now and have ridden in just about every climate condition you'll encounter. I am very satisfied with their performance and comfort. As for the velcro/buckle....I really like the set-up.
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
WADE-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I have the Armadas and i have put about 20,000 miles on them during my 60 mile a day commute to and from work and then whatever rides I do on the weekend and i couldn't be more happy with them. I also did dirt bike training on my R1200GSA in them and they worked just as i would have wanted them to. Great boot that can do just about anything you need it to.

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
BugKillr OP
Time to Ride

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Nice comparison. I've had a pair of Canyons for about a year now and have ridden in just about every climate condition you'll encounter. I am very satisfied with their performance and comfort. As for the velcro/buckle....I really like the set-up.
After I posted this I tried on both pairs again to be sure before I sent one back. After fiddling with the Canyon buckle a little more I decided it was actually not a deal killer, it works well, I just needed to get used to it.
Both style of boots are excellent boots. I went back and forth a little more, because they are so similar in many ways. Ultimately I stayed with the Armada, but I don't think there any wrong choices here.