User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,052
Recovery of heavy bikes.

Sitting here enjoying the AC and busy wasting the day.. I was looking at some pictures of my KLR when it needed to be righted after a fall down. Made me wonder about the really big bikes, GS, S10 etc and I wondered if other inmates carry a small block and tackle or just a long piece of rope to recover their bike.

On Youtube i saw a couple of bikes with electric (Warn) winches on them doing both a self recovery and recovering another bike. Seems a bit over the top.. but is it?

I was once in a position where we needed to lift an 800 over a small rise and 3 men just weren't enough. An extra person or just a block and tackle would have made a big difference.

Any thoughts folks?

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
The only time i have had a problem picking up my 02 GSA (the big one) was on ice twice on the way to work one morning. Got it up to my thighs and had to chase it across the road at that height till it hit the curb. I probably should not have filled the tank the day before.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Any bike is heavy in the wrong circumstances. I've been trapped under a TY250 once... would've probably died there if I hadn't, for the only time ever on that bike, been out in the forest with another rider who unlocked my legs and lifted the bike off.

With my 525 Katoom, I had two situations where I had to wait for locals to wander by in order to extract it from deep, sucking mud. Divide its weight by the three of us and we only had 35kg each to deal with... but we struggled.

Yeah... carry a snatch rope. If you want to, you can get sailing pulleys that weigh next to nothing and take up very little space.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Any bike is heavy in the wrong circumstances. I've been trapped under a TY250 once... would've probably died there if I hadn't, for the only time ever on that bike, been out in the forest with another rider who unlocked my legs and lifted the bike off.

With my 525 Katoom, I had two situations where I had to wait for locals to wander by in order to extract it from deep, sucking mud. Divide its weight by the three of us and we only had 35kg each to deal with... but we struggled.

Yeah... carry a snatch rope. If you want to, you can get sailing pulleys that weigh next to nothing and take up very little space.

Back in 75 I had a TY250. Had an enormously strong mate you could lift the entire 90 someting kilos of it up into the air. A site to see!

Sadly he and the TY have gone to God now!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,958
I carry about 20 metres of 3 mm spectra, I figure no need for pulleys because trucking knots will suffice? Make sure you WEAR GLOVES if using, it's nasty stuff as it runs through your fingers (I originally bought it with the intention of it being light air spinnaker sheets on the yacht ...it didn't take long to realise that as a bad idea)

Touch wood, I've never found anything I can't ride over or turn back from, but the spectra is usefull when other peoples bikes break down.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Oddometer: 352
4:1 deer hoist

Yep.
For my 990 when touring with a load i always pack a small Stainless Steel 4:1 deer hoist.
Haven't had to use it in anger but i bought it after i tried the "old ride around the side of the locked gate and fence" trick.
Very steep with tree roots and lots of leaf litter. Getting very dark, two guys and lots of sweat, swearing and dramas! (Not in a brokeback mountain way you fools )
I always carry a couple of caribeanas anyway and for the extra 1kg or so would have loved to have this thing before the shit hit the fan that evening. It would have been impossible to have recovered my bike on my own that evening. Was food for thought!

A link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless...item564b899dde

I carry a 30M 6mm rope to tie the bike off if required.

I couldn't justify the expense of the tiny systems with rope so thin they'd cut you to pieces in a second.

Ranger Rob screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 09:56 PM
Ranger Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,609
I made my own little winch sytem with lightweight sailing pulleys and 3mm plasma rope. Haven't had to use it yet. Always had someone around to help me out

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
Sitting here enjoying the AC and busy wasting the day.. I was looking at some pictures of my KLR when it needed to be righted after a fall down. Made me wonder about the really big bikes, GS, S10 etc and I wondered if other inmates carry a small block and tackle or just a long piece of rope to recover their bike.

On Youtube i saw a couple of bikes with electric (Warn) winches on them doing both a self recovery and recovering another bike. Seems a bit over the top.. but is it?

I was once in a position where we needed to lift an 800 over a small rise and 3 men just weren't enough. An extra person or just a block and tackle would have made a big difference.

Any thoughts folks?
Apparently Stelvio owners swear by taking a 4WD Quad equipped with a winch and tow strap along with them on big rides; then for optimal recovery results use the windshield, (handle bars, tank, seat and rear luggage rack?) as a skidder plate with which to slide the bike back up onto the roadway - apparently this saves unneccessary wear and tear on the tires?

For optimum results, it is best you wait up to an hour to perform this task though... don't want to rush into anything when safety and planning is paramount (or you can't find the instruction manual to the winch maybe?).

True story...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836426

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Apparently Stelvio owners swear by taking a 4WD Quad equipped with a winch and tow strap along with them on big rides; then for optimal recovery results use the windshield, (handle bars, tank, seat and rear luggage rack?) as a skidder plate with which to slide the bike back up onto the roadway - apparently this saves unneccessary wear and tear on the tires?

For optimum results, it is best you wait up to an hour to perform this task though... don't want to rush into anything when safety and planning is paramount (or you can't find the instruction manual to the winch maybe?).

True story...

Begs the question... With that many guys.. Why not turn it the right way up before winching?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,854
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

True story...

haha.. I'll pass this onto my mate who tells me how much he saved by buying a Stelvio instead of a GS...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Begs the question... With that many guys.. Why not turn it the right way up before winching?
Be like trying to upright that S10 of yours on the side of a hill. No thanks.

Drag the fat bitch out!

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
The onsite workplace & safety department officer porobably deemed the risk of the bike toppling over and rolling further down the hill was too great.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
AlSheehan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Yeah, I carry a recovery kit (since I got the GS). I retired after 20 or so years of doing vertical rescue and wilderness SAR a few years ago, so I've re-purposed my 2 x 20m long 8mm kernmantle scramble ropes, a couple of small rescue pulleys, 2 alloy krabs, a small pair of tandem prusiks and a couple of lengths of climbing tape. They pack nicely in an old camelbak body (the bladder as long since gone to God) but I normally carry it in my tank bag, but I can mix and match as needs determine.

I normally don't carry both ropes, but might consider it if I expected mud.

I can rig a 3:1 or 4:1 MA up to 20m long including progress capture (handy when you're on your own on a hill) and use the second rope for an extension if desired. Also handy if I need a tow (please NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!) or if something breaks and I don't have enough straps to hold things on the bike any more...

I'm working on the principle that if I have it I won't need it... but if I do, I'll be SSSSOOOOO glad!

Al.

AlSheehan screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 12:00 AM Reason: afterthought
AlSheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
GTinAus
nutsplitter

Oddometer: 1,246
I use a good quality ratchet strap, the 30mm strap width ones with a hook on each end.

I have recovered my 4 wheeler from some pretty interesting situations with one ( I carry it in the toolbox).

Surprising how much pressure you can put on one, especially if you put a stick or something in the handle, and although the length of pull is limited, each pull gets you a little further out.

The long strap also doubles as a tow strap.

GTinAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinAus View Post
I use a good quality ratchet strap, the 30mm strap width ones with a hook on each end.

I have recovered my 4 wheeler from some pretty interesting situations with one ( I carry it in the toolbox).

Surprising how much pressure you can put on one, especially if you put a stick or something in the handle, and although the length of pull is limited, each pull gets you a little further out.

The long strap also doubles as a tow strap.
I have used the heavy duty 70mm ratchet strap (aka GTinAus budget tirfor) to get the Hilux 2wd traytop out of snow drifts and icy patches on numerous occassions when out scouting forest roads here in the winter. It is amazing, but often you only have to shift the wheels a foot or so (sometimes even less) to get some grip and get under way again. I always remember who put me onto the idea* all those years ago;

(*Remember you me and Bob and the infamous "croc bog jump/60 series reversed front spring shackle" episode, up in the gulf country back on the 1988 survey GT...? ).

As I recall we had just about every strap, rope and cable at our disposal to get ourselves out of that one and pull the front end back into place? Bloody kamikaze pilots!

Thank's mentor... a lot of those tips I still use to this very day.

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 01:23 AM